• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was passed, Gov Bredesen vetoed it then his veto was overridden. Local idiot, I mean restauranteur Randy Rayburn challenged the law in court and a judge overturned the law. Next session, a much better law was passed, vetoed by Bredesen and his veto was one again overturned and now, HCP holders can legally carry in establishments where alcohol is being served provided THEY are not drinking themselves and provided the property is not posted against firearms.

Since the law went into effect I'm not aware of any wild-west style shoot-outs in bar parking lots or any of the other doom and gloom predictions made by the law's opponents; even tourism, which they said would fall, has increased.

Like virtually all of the anti-gun/gun-haters rhetoric then comes out anytime we try to restore our full rights to arms, experience has it's proven the rhetoric to be baseless

there is no such thing as a bar in TN

There are places that sell hootch for consumption off premise and places that sell it for drinking on premise.

None of them are legally bars.

I am a current master. ;)

Edited by Mike.357

The State of TN does not license bars.

And I believe it was, at least in part, that lack of a clear definition of just what was a "bar" is one of the reasons the first law was overturned by the court.

Although his intentions were otherwise, Rayburn did us a big favor...I laugh every time I drive by one of his restaurants on my way to eat somewhere else.

And I believe it was, at least in part, that lack of a clear definition of just what was a "bar" is one of the reasons the first law was overturned by the court.

Although his intentions were otherwise, Rayburn did us a big favor...I laugh every time I drive by one of his restaurants on my way to eat somewhere else.

Sort of what I thought when it happened.

Sort of off topic, but isn't it true that establishments that sell alcohol in TN must also sell some sort of food, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Only to sell liquor by the drink. In dry counties there are still places that serve beer for onsite consumption without serving food.

Sort of what I thought when it happened.

Only to sell liquor by the drink. ...

In restaurants (a "bar" has to also be a "restaurant") and hotels.

However, there are other types of LBTD businesses where this isn't necessarily required:

Clubs

Commercial Airlines

Commercial Passenger Boat Company

Community Theater

Convention Center

Historic Interpretive Center

Historic Mansion House Site

Historic Performing Arts Center

Hotel

Museum

Passenger Train

Premiere Type Tourist Resort

Urban Park Center

Zoological Insitution

http://www.tn.gov/abc/lbdother.shtml

- OS

I have never been in a beer bar that didn't serve chips, peanuts, ect. Not sure if it is a requirement though. 20 years ago you had to serve refreshments to get a beer license, not sure about now.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I have never been in a beer bar that didn't serve chips, peanuts, ect. Not sure if it is a requirement though. 20 years ago you had to serve refreshments to get a beer license, not sure about now.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Beer Permits are controlled by the local beer board. Counties (except Davidson) are pretty much restricted by state law what requiments etc...they can place on getting a permit, but Cities have almost unlimited power to add requirments etc... So it's possible I guess for a local beer board to require food and/or snacks to be served in a place.

The State of TN does not license bars.

They do now... they created a tiered licensing scheme the same year they passed the new carry laws removing the prohibition against carrying in establishments which serve alcohol by the drink.

They do now... they created a tiered licensing scheme the same year they passed the new carry laws removing the prohibition against carrying in establishments which serve alcohol by the drink.

I thought it didn't pass?

Guest BungieCord

From the Michie LexisNexis:

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1321 (2012)

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.

(b ) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision (b )(1).

© (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision ©(1), if the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in subdivision (b )(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with § 39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.

Edited by BungieCord