So I got a knock on the door tonight...

Guest superdrew4000

• Administrator

This issue comes up frequently. As I've stated before, I don't answer my door unless I am expecting you - day or night. If you're not expected, you have no business beating on my door, ringing my doorbell or coming up my driveway, and there's always a firearm within reach.

This is ALWAYS my advise. DON'T OPEN THE FREAKING DOOR IF YOU ARE NOT EXPECTING COMPANY! People are almost always up to no good.

After an unexpected late evening knock at my door a few weeks ago, (long story). That is my policy. My door is also like the inside of a castle gate now, BARRED. Easy to open from the inside, but from the outside, I think it would take several hits from a battering ram to get though.

Now If I am outside or somehow a sales person does get my attention, I ask them if they have a permit to be selling door to door. Not sure of the city ordnance but I have heard they are suppose to have a permit to conduct business door to door. I also have my no soliciting sign as well.

I have told a few people that I will never buy goods or services that are peddled door to door.

Edited by vontar
They had one of these guys in Clarksville get pushy with the homeowner and wouldn't leave. Homeowner came out with a shotgun and fired a round into the ground. Homeowner charged with aggravated assault.

He should have just taken the Gran Torino approach ... Grab a garand and say "get off my lawn"

+1 on the canine early warning system...seems to work.

Last time I ordered pizza, I saw the pizza guy get completely off the porch and go all the way back down 3 steps when he heard how deep my American Bulldog's bark was.

I like to make a show of holding her back like she's a stone-cold killer when I come out to pay. Hope the neighbors see too.

Get a miniature dachshund, Boston terrier, and a put bull. The dachshund makes noise to let you know when someone comes around, the Boston lets you know if you know them and the pit bull kills them if you don't. Please don't try to sneak thru my doggie door.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

• Administrator

He should have just taken the Gran Torino approach ... Grab a garand and say "get off my lawn"

Pretty sure most officers would consider that "brandishing" and you'd be on the wrong end of a conversation with them about it. Sucks, but it is what it is.

In the past I've answered the door with a gun in my hand hidden behind the door. Now I don't even bother answering if I'm not expecting someone, and again, a firearm is always within reach - whether on my person or not.

I've had a few roaming "salespeople" come up my driveway while I've been outside and I never let them get to the house or the garage. I will halt them as soon as I see them and then approach them but keep my distance, and tell them to hit the bricks. I've only had one moron try to come closer to me and I cut him short and told him to either turn around and go or it was going to get ugly for him.

He cussed me the entire way off my property. No skin off my nose; my job is protecting my family - not making friends with random strangers who can't follow simple instructions.

ADT is a rip off. they install crap componants . They make their money on monitoring fees. They install a junk system that costs them nothing to get you into a contract where they gouge you on the monitoring.

I always recommend a reputable local Alarm contractor .