Surprised No One's Posted This!

WTF? He needs to sue this police department into the ground. They all pointed weapons at him when they discovered that he had a weapon in a holster? Then they want to know why he's armed?

I'd say the fact that a crazy man went into a theater and shot 70 people is a pretty good reason to be armed in a movie theater. The world is losing its mind.

They said he was uncooperative. Well, I imagine if a bunch of cops just drew down on me and then scolded me for legally carrying a weapon my responses would be limited to 4 letter words. Cops in New England must be pants wetting bitches.

• Like 5

It's one thing to get checked out after a MWAG call, but quite another to get arrested for apparently lawful behavior.

Sounds like the police breached the peace more than the "perp" did and the "interfering with police" is a real tossup. 20 cops, wow.

He's being really nice about it, but I bet he sues, and rather hope he does.

- OS

• Like 1

My guess is that the lawyer went there with the intent of eliciting this reaction. Several patrons saw the gun is the statement that makes me believe this. He wanted people to see the gun and react.

Could be. Depends on what kind of SOB he used, though. IWB straight up and down is generally very well concealed. The OWB SOB like Galco and others, not so much.

- OS

SW may be correct. No indication of whether he was conceled and someone saw it by accident but becasuse several saw it I am lead to beleive he was OC. Also no indication of what form of carry is legal in Conn.

According to OpenCarry, CT is licensed only open carry state, like TN.

New Haven is Eli Land, gotta be uber lib around there though. Another case where legal doesn't necessarily equate to wise?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Even if he went there intentionally they over-reacted IMHO. He kind of violates the, "You don't win arguments with the police on the side of the road" advice that many lawyers give, but I imagine being a lawyer and guns there's a definite angle he's playing here.

An Asian lawyer, who was recently elected president of the city's bar association doesn't seem like the kind of guy people would see w/ a holstered gun and wet their pants over. I think they are primarily to blame here.

The cops have to react to a MWAG call and they have to act on the side of caution. It seems they should have been smart enough to diffuse the situation before it got to this.

Maybe he had on a hoodie?

I moved to TN from Connecticut 18 years ago, for total exasperation with the liberal mindset and politics up there. It was concealed carry only when I left, if it's open carry optional now, that's new, but I'd find it hard to believe it's changed. New Haven is a rough town. My nephew was the Fire Marshal for Yale for a couple of years, and the firetrucks used to have pot shots taken at them when going on calls, he always carried while on duty.

There was no way for the cops to win at that game. This guy wasn't interested in protecting himself, or he wouldn't have arranged to get muzzled by 20 LEO's. People that bait cops like this need to be beaten with a rubber hose.

I dunno, doesn't seem like there is enough info there to suggest that he was looking for trouble (other than the fact he is a lawyer). Maybe he printed and someone noticed, or perhaps his shirt came up too far when he was reaching into his back pocket for his wallet. My interpretation from the story was that the police were pissed that he was armed at all based on their initial comments saying it was a "bad choice" to be armed in a theater. That tells me they were just pissed that this guy was carrying and they rolled him up just to spank his pee-pee.

This is why I don't plan on going to the movies for a very long time. It seems the same people that are outraged that someone would carry a gun to protect themselves are the same people that freak out at the thought of someone coming in and shooting up the place. That doesn't make any sense.

I dunno, doesn't seem like there is enough info there to suggest that he was looking for trouble (other than the fact he is a lawyer). Maybe he printed and someone noticed, or perhaps his shirt came up too far when he was reaching into his back pocket for his wallet. My interpretation from the story was that the police were pissed that he was armed at all based on their initial comments saying it was a "bad choice" to be armed in a theater. That tells me they were just pissed that this guy was carrying and they rolled him up just to spank his pee-pee.

This is why I don't plan on going to the movies for a very long time. It seems the same people that are outraged that someone would carry a gun to protect themselves are the same people that freak out at the thought of someone coming in and shooting up the place. That doesn't make any sense.

Not saying the cops weren't in the wrong too. Would YOU have found yourself in that situation? I'm betting not.

"According to police, an usher said at least three patrons inside the theater saw that Hwang had a holster with a gun in it and alerted theater staff, who then called police."

"According to police, an usher said at least three patrons inside the theater saw that Hwang had a holster with a gun in it and alerted theater staff, who then called police."

Yeah, I took that into consideration. That paired with the canned pro-2A statement could suggest he was looking for trouble (and being a lawyer). But then I think of a story my mom was telling me when she was in a Walmart with a couple of her quilting group pals when one of them points out a holster peeking out under a man's shirt in line. Mom described one of the old ladies freaking out, asking the other two if they should call police. My mom was like "so what, I have one in my purse right now" and the woman was shocked.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being and figure that perhaps the three folks who saw the weapon were in the same group and one probably pointed it out to the rest and they made a big deal out of it. If it turns out that this lawyer has a history of such things then I'll change my mind and lump him in the category of "he who will not be named". I'd say his name but I don't want to anger the TGO gods.

Guest TankerHC

It says he has a Concealed Carry permit. He was open carrying. In New Hamphire, open carry is allowed ONLY in cars and ONLY with a permit.

Whats wrong with this picture is that he was breaking the law by open carrying in public.

Second, he had a CCW, if personal safety was the issue, he should have been properly carrying concealed, like he is licensed for and nothing would have been said.

This was all about raising an issue. Not about personal safety.

This same thing happened a week after the Colorado shooting. Some idiot walked into a movie theater 20 minutes from the Colorado theater where the shooting occured, open carrying.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if these people arent anti gunners trying to draw attention to "Bad guns" by getting their permits and doing stupid things.

It says he has a Concealed Carry permit. He was open carrying. In New Hamphire, open carry is allowed ONLY in cars and ONLY with a permit.

Whats wrong with this picture is that he was breaking the law by open carrying in public.

What's wrong with this picture is:

1. You seem to think they moved New Haven to New Hampshire?

2. We don't know if he was open carrying or not. But if he were, every source I can find claims that a CT carry permit allows concealed or open carry, just like in TN (although carry is not preempted for local ordinances and no carry signs also carry weight of law there).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Second, he had a CCW, if personal safety was the issue, he should have been properly carrying concealed, like he is licensed for and nothing would have been said.

This was all about raising an issue. Not about personal safety.

This same thing happened a week after the Colorado shooting. Some idiot walked into a movie theater 20 minutes from the Colorado theater where the shooting occured, open carrying.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if these people arent anti gunners trying to draw attention to "Bad guns" by getting their permits and doing stupid things.

I didn't see anything in the article about him openly carrying. Perhaps there is another article that I don't know about. The fact that patrons noticed he was carrying doesn't mean he was openly carrying. I've noticed people CCing when they get out of their cars in the parking lot. I saw one a few months ago as a dad was picking up his kid to put him in the shopping cart. Doesn't mean they were doing something wrong. I'm sure my shirt tail comes up every so often. It doesn't warrant getting 20 police officers drawing down on me and getting condemnation from the handgun carry community. Or maybe it does, I dunno.