G17, G37, Beretta 92, or Remington R1?

gjohnsoniv

For an EDC or just 'cause? Since I wouldn't use any of those as an EDC I'd go with the R1, because I'm a 1911 groupie.

Just 'cause. Has carry potential, but that isn't the focus. Mainly though I've never been a pistol guy, I can shoot them well but I don't own any other than a Nagant, CZ 82, and a High Standard .22. So having said that I want something a little more modern and that shoots a more common and larger round. Edited by gjohnsoniv

My two main pistols are a G19 and a Jericho.

So that kinda falls into the G17 and CZ75.

I love my Glock, it is an easy shooting, cheap to feed, reliable, easy to accessorize and trustworthy companion. I can't picture life without it.

My Jericho is the exotic, heavy, accurate, easy to live with hard to shop for mistress that I feel guilty for spending more time with.

I am a 9mm person. I don't like to stock or buy other pistol ammunition. So I like to limit my choices to things that will eat from the same bowl. I don't have a 1911, and never have. They are nice, good shooting pistols, but they are a rare bird in 9mm. Sure, they are becoming more common, and the RIA have a good rep, so maybe, somewhere down the road, one will find it's way into my brood.

A Glock is a Glock, but I am also one of those Kool-Aid drinkers that think anything other than a 9mm Glock is akin to the blasphemy of a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP (see the irony there?) Thus the Glock 17 is one of the choices I would be making of your four.

The only other one that tickles my fancy would be the Beretta. Once upon a time I was not a fan of the slide mounted safety/decocker, but my Jericho made me rethink my stance on that, which warms me back up to the Beretta. It has a good record and a solid fanbase, and as such, one of those may find it's way into my brood as well.

So, to interject my opinion, I would narrow your choices down to and in this order:

9mm Glock (17 for a range plinker, 19 for a plinker/carry piece)

9mm CZ75 or Clone (Tanfoglio, Sphinx, Jericho, etc...)

9mm Beretta 92 variant

9mm 1911 clone

Of course, I am biased and I am not afraid to admit that.

Well this argument is very much 9mm v. .45 and Glock v. others. I lean more toward the nine because I can find cheap ammo for it and I'm set up to reload it as well. .45 though I can also get cheap ammo through work and can easily get new dies for reloading. So...

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Well I don't want anything to do with the 45 G.A.P. as I don't want to add another caliber to the mix and I'm not really certain it's that much of an improvement over the 9mm P with current load offerings. The Remington R-1 look's pretty good but isn't an improvement over the SA or Colt's I already have. As for the Beretta M-92, well I have one because it's the standard issue handgun of the U.S. Military and makes good logistic sense to have. The problem is it's a bit bulky for it's caliber and doesn't carry well for me. So of your offered selection's I'd go with a 4th Gen G-17 because of it's size, weight and proven reliability in the field. I could mention other pistol's but that's not what this thread is about, beside's I like the direction this thread's going becuse it make's you state your case.

G17

Why? Because I'd rather have a tool that works every galldarn time I use it, without fail. Capacity, and aftermarket support trumps everything else you listed. The 45 may make a big hole but you're better served by just learning to shoot instead of resting on mythical ballistics. Zombies attack in hoards. No matter how great a blessed 45 may be, you can still only take out one target per shot. For the same amount of shots you'll have a lot less weight than that boat anchor R1.

G17

Why? Because I'd rather have a tool that works every galldarn time I use it, without fail. Capacity, and aftermarket support trumps everything else you listed. The 45 may make a big hole but you're better served by just learning to shoot instead of resting on mythical ballistics. Zombies attack in hoards. No matter how great a blessed 45 may be, you can still only take out one target per shot. For the same amount of shots you'll have a lot less weight than that boat anchor R1.

You are correct. I also know you are going to say get a drop in Wolf barrel or similar and then cast for it, correct?

It's not so much ballistics either, I just like both 9mm and .45.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

If you have long fingers and/or larger than average hands the 92 is sort of fun if you can get it used. Why used, because you are eventually going to get rid of it or just leave it in the safe. However, if you put a competition hammer spring (about a 2 minute job) they can be fun to shoot. I have had at least 3 of my own besides the ones I had to carry for a check. R1 - snooooze, just another entry level 1911 that works. However, if you have not had a 1911 it would be a good one to start with. Every other year or so I get a used 1911 only to sell or trade it. I enjoy the 1911 trigger but not much else. If you have a source for free Gap ammo then go for the 37, but a box of range FMJ is twice what 9mm is from what I can see. G17 - there are guns I can shoot better out of the box, but none I trust more. I have several G17s. Put a good trigger on one and they can shoot pretty well.

Can you not get the G37 in .45 ACP? I was under the impression that it came in either Gap or ACP, but I could have read it wrong/misunderstood. Never owned a 1911. Shot the M9/92 quite a lot and it doesn't bother me one bit.

TNWNGR, any other recommendations are welcome, but for sake of argument if you don't want to bring them in that's fine.