Ruger Mark III -vs- Ruger 22/45

charlessummers

I replaced my long sold off Ruger MkII with a Mk III not too long ago. I had looked at the Ruger 22/45 at the time and though, "Why would anyone buy that over the Mk III?"

Well, I picked up a used Ruger 22/45 at the gun show in Hendersonville last weekend for a pretty good price, and finally got a chance to take it to the range Sunday. I now know why people buy this gun! It feels really good shooting it, and in my hands... much more accurate than the more agressive angled grip of the MkIII. This little gun has probably been shot to death, but I was able to put ten rounds in a hole the size of a quarter at 7 yards with open sights. I can't do that with any of my other .22's. I know these guns were made to last forever... so the round count didn't bother me.

Great little fun-gun...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Cool!

I've been considering a 22/45 ever since selling my buckmark.

Did yours come with a threaded barrel?

No threaded barrel... but it did come with a threaded barrel adaptor. I currently have no use for it, but think I'll hang onto it for a while. I may post it in the classifieds if I decide sell it. It'll be cheap!

I have a Mk II generation 22/45 and it's one of those guns that goes to the range every single time. It's a great gun for instructing new shooters.

Agreed. I have a MKII with a Tactical Solutions PacLite barrel. Such a joy to shoot and introduce to new shooters.

Guest MidTNGlock

I'm real happy with my 22/45. I'd recommend someone who's thinking about buying one to spend the extra for the version with the real 1911 grip panels. The basic 22/45 with the non removable grips as part of the frame is too slim, more like a gun for youth sized hands.

If you have a Mk II/III or a 22/45, the "Ultimate Cliploader" is a must buy. Get it adjusted right for your mags and ten rounds will drop right in.

http://www.midwayusa...r-polymer-clear

I'm real happy with my 22/45. I'd recommend someone who's thinking about buying one to spend the extra for the version with the real 1911 grip panels. The basic 22/45 with the non removable grips as part of the frame is too slim, more like a gun for youth sized hands.

If you have a Mk II/III or a 22/45, the "Ultimate Cliploader" is a must buy. Get it adjusted right for your mags and ten rounds will drop right in.

http://www.midwayusa...r-polymer-clear

That's a heck of a lot better than the little slide down thinggy that I used with my MKII. I also remember the sore thumbs too.

Guest MidTNGlock

That's a heck of a lot better than the little slide down thinggy that I used with my MKII. I also remember the sore thumbs too.

Yeah, one weekend fiddling around with those sliders tore my thumbs up. With this speedloader, I can shoot a whole bulk pack in an afternoon just using two mags.

(not my video)

He puts a disclaimer up there saying it hasn't worked very well over time but mine has been great.

Edited by MidTNGlock

Yeah, there are several instructionals out there for modding the original 22/45 to accept 1911 grips. So many, in fact, that Ruger apparently got the hint. I haven't done mine yet, but it's always been one of those "back burner, I'll get to it" projects.

I prefer my MKII to the 22/45, though.

DSCN16051.jpg

Mac

Edited by McAllyn
  • 2 weeks later...

This could be just me, but why would one want to trade a MKII for a MKIII? MKII's don't have the silly BS add ons like the loaded chamebr indicator, mag safely and silly looking trigger parts like the MKIII's. Maybe I am getting old. 22/45s are fun though.

I didn't trade my MKII for a MkIII... just replaced one that I had sold years ago with a MKIII. As far as all the other silly BS that the MKIII has over the MKII, none of it really matters to me. You cannot see, or feel the LCI, nor do I use it for anything other than punching holes in paper, so the magazine safety and the lock doesn't bother me in the slightest. The MKIII is a fun gun and that's all it was ever made for IMO.

The MKII 22/45 is just a little bit more fun! Especially when you pick one up at a bargain price!