New Gal from Tennessee

Guest shellbell

Guest shellbell

Hi Everyone,

Although I am not new to firearms, I am new to obtaining and having a permit and deciding on a carry sidearm.

I would like some feedback on what other ladies carry and how they carry it. At the moment I am leaning toward a 380 Ruger but haven't decided on a way to carry it.

Thanks,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TGO Shellbell! :)

It's always nice to welcome another lady aboard! I look forward to getting to know you. Enjoy!

You might want to post in the "Women and Firearms" section to get some input from the other female members here concerning your carry options. ;)

Edited by PackinMama

Welcome to TGO. My wife is in a class right now at Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City, KY. The class is given by Babes with Bullets and they hold classes all over. This was the closest one to TN at the moment. She wanted some additional training and saw the web site www.babeswithbullets.com . She said there are 18 students and 4 instructors. This class is 2 days of pistol and 1 day of rifle. They started yesterday and will finish up on Monday at 3pm.

Welcome! Glad to meet another lady! I live in the Knoxville area ! I carry a 1911 45( compact), yes it is a little heavy but I carry it in a belly band or IWB. both ways work great for me. Be sure to shoot a lot of different guns before you purchase. Enjoy and let us know if we can help!!!

Welcome. My girlfriend doesn't carry. But, out of all my pistols she has shot, she likes my Ruger LCP the least because of recoil. Just make sure you shoot one before you buy.

My girlfriend is the same...and has expensive tastes. Her favorite is my dad's Five-Seven. Luckily she hasn't committed to getting her carry license yet. When I first got her into shooting she thought that just because its a small gun, it would be better for her. It only took her shooting a few guns to realize that wasn't the case.

My sister just got an LC9 and she loves it. It is the perfect size for her and the kick isn't bad at all. I was impressed with the function and reliability of it straight out of the box. I agree that the kick of an LCP just might be a bit too much to make it enjoyable to shoot. The LC9 might be a little bigger, but it is sooooo much more comfortable to shoot.

I like the sig 238 best of the little 380s, and recommend trying one.

My wife is currently using a taurus 22 mag 8 shot revolver IWB. She gave up the sig because she felt she would forget the safety under stress.

HOW you carry, there are more options for women and it may or may not be very different from what men do. WHAT you carry will be the same, plenty of men carry the small 380s and whatever else.

My sister just got an LC9 and she loves it. It is the perfect size for her and the kick isn't bad at all. I was impressed with the function and reliability of it straight out of the box. I agree that the kick of an LCP just might be a bit too much to make it enjoyable to shoot. The LC9 might be a little bigger, but it is sooooo much more comfortable to shoot.

I got the Talo edition.. I had some issues with the coating peeling back right by the muzzle.. but it has stopped and its not peeling any further back.. not very noticable but still.. kinda dissapointing to see your shiny coating coming off.Talked to Ruger about it and they didnt do the coating in-house.. at the end.. i just left it teh way it is.. stil la very pretty gun

Guest adamoxtwo

My wife has a SIG P239 (9mm) and she loves it. It's a single stack and fits her hands great. With that said whatever you feel comfortable shooting with it the right gun for YOU. You can't rely on everyone to tell you what gun is best for you. It's personal Preference. Good Luck and welcome

I got the Talo edition.. I had some issues with the coating peeling back right by the muzzle.. but it has stopped and its not peeling any further back.. not very noticable but still.. kinda dissapointing to see your shiny coating coming off.Talked to Ruger about it and they didnt do the coating in-house.. at the end.. i just left it teh way it is.. stil la very pretty gun

Correct, Talo is a company that seems to buy up a number of items, engrave and refinish and otherwise pretty them up, and resell them for a small premium. You may be able to get THEM to support you somehow, but ruger cannot fix that, same as ruger could not fix it if you took it to bubbabob's guncroak refinishing service. They are a large company and probably will work with you, give it a try http://www.taloinc.com/

Edited by Jonnin
Guest shellbell

Hi Everyone. Thank you for the input.

I've shot alot of different handguns but going to carrying one is different matter.

I am favoring a Ruger LCP because of its size, cost, and reviews.

I guess I should take this to the "Women and Firearms" section

Hi Everyone. Thank you for the input.

I've shot alot of different handguns but going to carrying one is different matter.

I am favoring a Ruger LCP because of its size, cost, and reviews.

I guess I should take this to the "Women and Firearms" section

My wife now has an LCP and carries it in the flashbang holster. She says it's really comfortable but takes practice to draw from due to it's location. :) I can't tell when she has it on even with her baby belly. I will say the LCP is not a range toy due to its snappieness but that's not what it's intended for anyway.

Welcome. I second the Sig P238. I have one and love it. My wife likes to shoot it as well. Much more pleasant to shoot than an LCP, so you are more likely to practice with it I think.

My wife has a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm and it is actually both of our favorite handgun to shoot, out of the 10 or so handguns we have.