Best Tactical .22?

PackinMama

I do believe the Sig uses the smae Black Dog mags as a "normal" AR in 22lr.

I would pass on the Umarex as they are mostly pot metal. I would rather have the plastic M&P than the pot metal Umarex. The controls are totally different than a standard AR too. The come apart totally different.

You already have a 10/22 so it is just a stock change to becoming similar to the SR22 so the 10/22 is out.

The M&P is great but it does require special mags.

For me it would be the Sig at the top of the list because you already have mags. Then the M&P would be next, then the 10/22.

Dolomite

Having handled all of them the M&P is by far the best. I like it better than the SIG because its manual of arms is identical to an AR. The SIG is rather big and bulky for what it is. Yes the M&P uses specific mags, but they are easy to find and around $25. You can also put a Slide Fire on it for when you really want to have fun! :up: Outside of that, the HK MP5 22 (not the GSG)is the best built one of all of them. It is an MP5 chambered in .22.

I think I like the M&P the best from what I've seen and heard (especially the Magpul one), but the fact that it needs different mags is an issue for me. I already have 12 steel lipped Black Dog mags. If I do go with the M&P, it's going to cost me an extra $100+ just to get four mags, which for me is not enough.....I would want more like 8-12! LOL Plus I found a new Sig 522 for $429, and it comes with an extra 20" match grade barrel. I could keep my cost under $500 with the Sig and have a dozen mags for it. However....I really like the M&P...... :unsure:

Well, after some thought and research, and hearing what you guys have to say, I've decided that I should get the S&W. Even though it pains me to have to buy yet another different kind of .22 magazines! :angry: I guess I'll have to put one on layaway....since I'm spending my current gun money on a .357 snubby in the morning! :whistle:

I have a sig 522 with probably 4,000 plus rounds through it and it has been awesome. It's easy to clean, even though I only clean it about every 750-1000 rounds and shoots great. Ive had less than 10 failures which is due to the cheap 22 ammo I use. The M&P is nice, but is it really that much nicer than a 522? I dont think so.

My local Walmart just happened to have an M&P15-22, a Sig 522, and a Colt Umarex in stock today. The Colt might be made of "pot" metal, but I did like the look and feel of it nonetheless. The Sig was heavy, but seems like a well made gun to me, and I really liked the ring style sights on it too. The M&P is very nice, but I just don't like the polymer. I can handle polymer on a pistol, but I just don't like it on a rifle for some reason.

After comparing the three I have decided that.......I still don't know which one I should buy!!! :lol:

• Like 1

I would seriously remove the Colt from consideration. There are cases of them breaking at the stock attachment. There are other random cracks that seem to be showing up as well. I am sure they are going to fix it but I would rather have a gun that works than rely on the factory warranty.

The M&P and the 522 are comparable quality. So then the magazines become the deciding factor for me.

How about this. Buy a CMMG dedicated 22lr upper. Then buy a Frontier Arms polymer lower. You should have a complete gun for close to the cost of either of these. And when you want you can slap a 5.56 upper on that Frontier lower and do some real shooting. That way you have a multipurpose gun.

Dolomite

Ive had the M&P and still have the 522.

Ill be glad to let you test run my 522 for a few if you want.

The 522 is a bit heavy but is more accurate and I think it will out last the M&P.

As a side note TN is not big on Sigs as other areas are so you will get many more in our area to say the M&P.