Who carries a full sized gun?

Guest twpayne75

Hell... No... lol

Lol. While I don't think EVERYONE is of the mind and ability to safely carry this way, I think most should be. Or maybe I give people too much credit. :dirty:

I wouldn't carry any gun this way. I tend to stick with hammer fired weapons. I have carried Glocks this way, but I avoid 3.5# connectors. I do cover the hammer with my thumb when reholstering.

Guest twpayne75

Thanks everyone i got some good ideas here... how do yalls guns feel when you sit or bend over? Seems like they would stick on your side a bit.

Not sure exactly who this is directed at. But I will go. I am sitting here at my desk now with my P30 riding AIWB. There is zero discomfort and at times I cannot feel it there at all. I can bend over and touch my toes easily without discomfort. I think everyone should own a Smartcarry holster. That's what got me into carrying AIWB.

With appendix carry it's a matter of personal preference. The higher it rides, the quicker the draw will be, but the more uncomfortable it will be. If you have any gut at all, and dare I say most of us do, it will tilt the gun out and cause it to print.

The lower it rides, the more comfortable it is, but it can be harder to get your hand in for a draw. I keep mine lower than a lot of people. But I wear mine about 18 hours a day, it has to be comfortable. I also drive about a 1000 miles a week for work. So it has to be comfortable while being seated.

Here is a pretty good illustration I came across.

http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/2012/04/appendix-carry-illustrated.html

I wear a suit most of the time, but I've carried a 226 or a 220 for years in an IWB holster at 4:30. Good holster and belt are the key. I recently went down to the 938 and carry it the same way. With modern tuckable holsters there's really no problem even in most casual clothes.

• Administrator

I carry either a full-size Smith and Wesson M&P or my Glock 19, both of which are essentially full sized pistols. I've carried 5-inch 1911s and likewise had no problems. The only handguns I've carried and didn't care for or found uncomfortable were my SIG 229, 228 and 220. I'd just as soon have tried carrying a framing hammer. Just too heavy, even with a good belt.

Guest dfsixstring

I carry my SR9c 90% of the time. Mostly with the 10 round mag. Sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly paranoid, I'll put the full size mag in and drop an extra compact mag in my pocket. I use the comp-tac spartan IWB holster and am pleased with its ability to conceal even a full sized pistol.

dfsixstring

RST4S

SR9c

LCP

I carry a Ruger p345. Most of the time it is IWB at about 4 with a slight cant in a Tagua holster. It is not the best holster in the world, but I keep my pants pulled up to where they should be which lets the gun ride sort of on top of the butt. In my experience and with my body habitus (6' 2" 230), I could probably carry in that location without a holster. It is my opinion that if you carry the gun where it needs to be, a holster really does not have to do too much work. Maybe that is just true for the way I am shaped, but I have carried smaller guns like a j-frame or p11 in the same position just using a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster tucked in the waistline. The only time I have problems printing is while sighting down, but again, if I keep my pants where they should be, this is minimal. If I am not carrying IWB, I use a Galco pancake style holster in the same position, but about the only time I do that is if I am going to be driving all day. For some reason, the IWB carry that I do does not jive real well with the seat belt buckle.

I carry a full size gun if at all possible. Just easier to fight with a full size gun than a small one. I mostly carry either Glock 17 or 34. I mostly carry a Glock 17 in a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB . When I carry an RMR equipped G17 it is in the Fricke Seraphim holster , also AIWB.

For several years (and still do occasionally) I rolled with a G34 in a Blade Tech Universal. The Universal is an open bottom design that is about the same length as a G26 and so there is just less holster bulk down inside your pants. The barrel/slide extend out the bottom of the holster and it is comfy even with a 34 (or even a 17L).

I tried several holsters and none felt well or concealed my 1911. I finally just made my own.

IMG_0298r.jpg

Dolomite

Your holster is prettier than mine. Glock 21SF and a heavy belt, sometimes suspenders. I always wear a long untucked shirt over it, that's an advantage of being and dressing like a redneck. :tough:

Glock4.jpg

Ever since I got my last Bullhide Belt (1.5" wide instead of 1.25"), I have been carrying the M&P45c - which is roughly the same size and weight as a G19 - OWB in a K&D Thunderbird Defender covered by just a shirt. No printing and I'm amazed that the belt width has made that much of a difference.

I see no need to carry IWB anymore.

Edited by DaddyO

any of you guys Pocket Carry a full size gun?

I've bought 2 holsters and most of my jeans are to tight to allow the inside waistband carry. I been doing a pocket carry around the house with no holster " round not in the chamber of course" and it's pretty comfortable , the grip sticks out of the pockets just enough for a quick draw but not enough to be noticed under my shirts.

Is it legal in TN to carry without a holster? And does anyone make pocket holsters for bigger guns? for me pocket carrying has been the most comfortable while testing different ways to carry.

any of you guys Pocket Carry a full size gun?

I've bought 2 holsters and most of my jeans are to tight to allow the inside waistband carry. I been doing a pocket carry around the house with no holster " round not in the chamber of course" and it's pretty comfortable , the grip sticks out of the pockets just enough for a quick draw but not enough to be noticed under my shirts.

Is it legal in TN to carry without a holster? And does anyone make pocket holsters for bigger guns? for me pocket carrying has been the most comfortable while testing different ways to carry.

Carrying with neither a round in the chamber or a holster is not wise.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1