Passed HCP class and range qualification

I completed the HCP class last Saturday. I was very pleased with the instructor; Dennis Mankin, the class and range sessions. His class cost $50, which includes the range fee. Some of the other instructors I spoke with charged an additional $5 for the range fee, and a couple charged $100 or more for the class. We had close to 30 in the class and I pretty sure everyone passed. One elderly gentleman had problems loading his magazine because his hands shook so bad... that's kinda scarey. I aced the written test, which is pretty much a no-brainer. Just pay attention, take notes if you have to, and use some common sense. I'm not sure if the range test is SOP, but ours consisted of a total of 48-rds; 12-rds each from 3, 7, 15 & 25 yards. 6 of the 12 shots were "on command", the other 6 were at our own pace. Here are a couple of photos of the target. Yeah... I pulled 5-rds into the 9 ring, 1 in the 8 and 1 at the bottom of the 7. I'm sure those were from 25 yards and I attribute those to trigger control, or the lack thereof. The remaining 41-rds pretty much tore up the red:

dsc0475m.jpg

dsc0476x.jpg

• Like 1

congratulations!

Target is a lot better than mine was. It was HOT when I took mine and I just blasted fast as I could to get out of the sun.

It is very difficult to set off ammo, and by design dropping it will not. Shaky hands is part of being old sometimes, long as he kept the gun safely pointed downrange, do not worry about it. The same fate awaits many of us.

congratulations!

Target is a lot better than mine was. It was HOT when I took mine and I just blasted fast as I could to get out of the sun.

It is very difficult to set off ammo, and by design dropping it will not. Shaky hands is part of being old sometimes, long as he kept the gun safely pointed downrange, do not worry about it. The same fate awaits many of us.

Thanks! It was about 3:30 when I stepped up to the line. I wore a black t-shirt and it was quite warm, and I was probably a bit nervous.

BTW, I was shooting a Sigma 9mm with the trigger mod. That mod dropped the trigger pull by about half what it was. It still has a long travel, which I can deal with. Especially considering that it has no external trigger safety.

My mother-in-law has essential tremors and it makes my very uneasy to see her in the kitchen chopping up veggies with a sharp knife. :stunned:

Edited by mj12

Congratulations on passing your HCP class. Both the class and the range qualification are prerequisites to getting your HCP. Looks like you did a great job qualifying with your weapon.

Welcome to the community of law-abiding citizens who have chosen to accept the responsibility for their own safety and that of their families.

• Like 2

Congrats and good shooting. My wife took (and passed) her class saturday as well.

I took the class in February at an outdoor range. The pistol portion of the range was back in a 'holler' and it was 29 deg with no direct sun. We had to leave all our stuff in the car during the classroom portion so everything cold soaked. Cold steel on a cold day. Brrrr...

I completed the HCP class last Saturday. I was very pleased with the instructor; Dennis Mankin, the class and range sessions. His class cost $50, which includes the range fee. Some of the other instructors I spoke with charged an additional $5 for the range fee, and a couple charged $100 or more for the class. We had close to 30 in the class and I pretty sure everyone passed. One elderly gentleman had problems loading his magazine because his hands shook so bad... that's kinda scarey. I aced the written test, which is pretty much a no-brainer. Just pay attention, take notes if you have to, and use some common sense. I'm not sure if the range test is SOP, but ours consisted of a total of 48-rds; 12-rds each from 3, 7, 15 & 25 yards. 6 of the 12 shots were "on command", the other 6 were at our own pace. Here are a couple of photos of the target. Yeah... I pulled 5-rds into the 9 ring, 1 in the 8 and 1 at the bottom of the 7. I'm sure those were from 25 yards and I attribute those to trigger control, or the lack thereof. The remaining 41-rds pretty much tore up the red:

back when I took my class, I know we did not have to shoot from 25 yards. Hell, 1/2 the class would have missed the target. I think the farthest distace we shot at was 15 yards. But, we shot 48 rounds as well.

What is shooting on command about?

The instructor tells the shooter(s) when to fire, initiated with the "fire" command, and only 1-rd. The first 6-shots at each firing line were "on command". The following 6-shots at each firing line were at our own pace, initiated with the "commence firing" command. The only reason I can think of for this is so the instructor could spot any potential problems, like some nitwit positioning the thumb of the support hand at the rear end of the slide... ouch! That's gotta hurt.

...The only reason I can think of for this is so the instructor could spot any potential problems, like some nitwit positioning the thumb of the support hand at the rear end of the slide... ouch! That's gotta hurt.

Generally not so bad, you can hold it shut without much force.

What's can be really dangerous is putting fingers in front of revolver cylinder, bigger the caliber the worse!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

I went to the DMV in Murfreesboro this afternoon, got there about 1:15. I filled out the permit application, paid my $115 and got my photo taken. Tomorrow I get fingerprinted... then I wait. I was expecting a long line, but was pleasantly surprized. I was in and out of there in less than 40-minutes. Oh... they do take plastic, just not AmEx.

Edited by mj12
  • Like 1

Generally not so bad, you can hold it shut without much force.

What's really dangerous is putting fingers in front of revolver cylinder!

- OS

May be... but I wouldn't want to try either one. Broken thumb, toasted fingers? No thanks.

Dennis Mankin is a good instructor and takes it seriously.

You'll get no arguments from me. He has the demeanor, not in a bad way mind you, of a former LEO. One of points he really drove home was the awesome responsibility we were undertaking. I've been recommending him to those who I work with, at NES.

Nice shooting too. What kind of iron were you using at the range?

Thanks! A Sigma 9mm, with the trigger mod. The mod made a world of difference, dropping the trigger pull by about 1/2 what it was. Edited by mj12
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I spoke with Sonya at TN DoS last Friday. She said my permit was issued on 04 Oct. She printed it and said I should have within 10 days. So from the date my finger prints were taken; 25 Sep, to 04 Oct is 8-business days. That's pretty quick, and I was expecting 4-6 weeks! Those next few days are just going to c-r-e-e-p by, don't you know it!