.308 semi auto options

Guest Keinengel

Guest Keinengel

Hello all. I haven't posted in a while or browsed guns lately because of some issues with work and finances. But im looking to start building up shooters again.

Anyways, im looking for some advice on a .308 semi auto project. I'm looking for something fairly accurate out of the box. I'm open for any make or build. If i go the AR route some suggestions on a decent upper if i were to get a lower would be cool too.

I'm looking to go with around 1500 for a base gun budget. I'll buy new or used.

Guest ThePunisher

Real close to your budget, I just recently picked up a Sig 716. Fantastic shooter right out of the box with iron sights. I imagine it will be awesome when I put some optics on it.

This rifle has caught my eye, and it appears to be a well built rifle. But it is around $1800.00. You can get an Armalite for around $1500.00.

This rifle has caught my eye, and it appears to be a well built rifle. But it is around $1800.00. You can get an Armalite for around $1500.00.

The AR-10 was a little cheaper but the 716 came equipped with a couple of things I would have had to add to the AR-10. I also trust the name (nothing against Armalite). I've had three or four Sig rifles/pistols and have never had an issue with any of them.

Still trying to figure out what I want for optics.

I have only tried one; it’s a DPMS Panther LR-308 AP4, had it about five years. I have been happy with its performance. I don’t shoot a rifle with open sights, so I haven’t done that, but it’s accurate with whatever scope I have had on it.

The only piece of advice I would offer is to get whatever configuration you want when you buy the rifle. The prices on swapping out parts on 308 AR’s is crazy.

• Like 1

What exactly is the rifles intended use,are you wanting a battle rifle chambered in 308 or are you looking to throw some glass on it and stretch the range out a bit, or are you simply wanting something in the middle. If its battle rifles you could look at a PTR91,M1A,or you could build one awesome Saiga conversion with your budget, that being said the only ones of those I see you getting any real precision out of would be the M1A with a ton of upgraded match parts if you bought a base model or the PTR91 converted into a HK PSG1 clone either way be prepared to spend A LOT of money in the process but if you like projects then either of those 3 fit the bill. If I was looking for a more accurate rifle within your budget I would have to go with the Remington R25,its definitely one of the most accurate AR's I have ever owned, Im personally not a fan of the camo or the front handguard but I got over that rather quickly when I started throwing rounds down range with excellent results.

Dpms lr-308 (Remington r25 is same rifle with camo)

I just picked up the lr-308 upper and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, if it shoots half as good as my 260 then I will be pleased (consistently less than .5 MOA). If you are looking more for a battle rifle then look into the SASS model.

Fwiw I got my rifle with both uppers around your price point, quality fit and finish I am very pleased.

8010177721_0a70ae4fb7.jpg

That's 4 shots 100yds less than .2" :)

Guest nowheretobefound

as much as I like the ar platform my vote is for the socom 16

My vote also, but it should come down to what you expect your usage will be...or want. Any of the SA M1A series are great, personally I've never fired a more finer .308 as the Super Match M1A.

I enjoyed my time with my SOCOM 16, I see no reason to pick one over any of the AR platforms though unless you just prefer that platform. Mags are pricier, to get close to AR accuracy is difficult and costly, if you dont regularly maintain your weapon then the M1A platform may have a advantage, most of the AR's while they cant agree on parts most are still very readily available.

If I was going to go down that road I would definetly go the SOCOM16 route though.

Edited by trevorst

If you are looking for a battle rifle the CMP is selling converted M1 Garands in 308. I have a M1A standard and a M1a loaded, the standard shoots about 2 moa and the loaded about 1 moa. I also have an Armalite AR 10B and it shoots about 1,5 moa. Armalite now sells an AR 10A that uses the same magazines that everyone else uses in their 308 AR platform.

Though it is out of your listed price range, I would still like to make my obligatory recommendation of the SCAR 17. You MAY be able to find a used one for $2kish. It's light, runs like a singer sewing machine, and is VERY accurate. It was hard to find mags for them for a while, but mags are out there now.

Aside from that, I have had a full length M1A and a SOCOM 16. They were both great rifles, but heavy. The full size was a very accurate gun too. It would shoot 1 MOA with Federal GMM 168's all day, but didn't do so well with other factory loads. The SCAR seems to group everything tight, even TULA! The SOCOM was probably a 2 MOA gun, and though shorter than the full size, just as heavy.

As much as I loved the M1A's however, I think I would try an AR style before I bought another one. A modern design like a SCAR or AR has SOO much going for it when it comes to accessories and optics mounting options. The M1A stock is garbage when if you want to use a scope. You have to put a big cheek rest on the stock to even get close to having a cheekweld. And then you can't get alighned on your iron sights if you want to use them without removing it.

There are lots of after market stocks out there that work better, but they are pricey. You will get up to the $2k mark (gun included) if you go with a Troy, Sage, or VLTOR stock. I had a Troy, and it solved ALL the alignment problems, and made the gun (used it on both full size and socom) much more "modern", but it also made the gun weigh 14lbs loaded. No thanks.

I have heard GREAT things about FNAR's, but they are ugly.

If the SCAR was not an option, I would probably be using a DPMS AR style...but could be tempted by the Keltec RFB as well. I fondled one at the most recent Knoxville Gun Show...it is a nice design (bullpup), but I haven't read very many range reports. FALS are beloved by many as well. So many great 308's out there....

Edited by atlas3025
Guest Tusculum

I got a Saiga 308. Its never been outta the box. Bought it about 8 or 10 yrs ago when the mag ban was on, I ordered 2 30 rd mags and it took a year to get them. It aint cheap but its a Saiga

Interesting thread. I know a guy who is going to be shooting hogs from an airplane and he asked me what .308 I would use. I had no clue as I imagine rapid repeated followup shots would be necessary and didn't know the effects of barrel heat, etc would have on the rifle's performance.

Any suggestions?

Interesting thread. I know a guy who is going to be shooting hogs from an airplane and he asked me what .308 I would use. I had no clue as I imagine rapid repeated followup shots would be necessary and didn't know the effects of barrel heat, etc would have on the rifle's performance.

Any suggestions?

Heat will effect shot group and point of impact, My S308, goes low right after a few rounds.

Not much but enough to make ya think. I shoot 10 shot groups, try to shoot 10 in less than 1 min.

I do this for 3 or 4 10 round mags, I can still hit a 12" steel plate at 300 yrds, 7 or 8 times out of 10 shots.

The Saiga 308 is a good rifle, just heavy.