Scared myself........Now I use what I have.

Last night I taught and learned. Had to clear my home. I heard something in the basement or kitchen.I grabed my glock and started to go but thought If I move now I will be leving a load glock here for the bad guy so now I have two guns. It was dark so my thought turned to light. I grabed what many of us have around, basic metal mini light. I have had this light for many years and never thought I would need something different. Man.....O.....Man was I wrong. As I started to walk the house I wondered how I put so little thought in something so important. My mini shined where I pointed and there was no light anywhere else. I couldn't flood a room and that would have helped so much. It was scary to think the bad guy had me lighting his target for him. At this time I was scared and after all this time the fact that I was scared, scared me even more. Heck I'm 60 and have been in some very bad places but last night felt really bad.

All turned out OK. No bad guy.

Last night really made me think. It never dawned on me to do a run through. So I did, several times using different routes. This made me feel more ready and after dark I did the run through with different lighting even total dark except for my mini light..

I also learned quickly that two guns are not always a good thing. I had on thin shorts with no pockets. so no place for second gun except hands and they were needed.

I always hope I am not sounding silly. It seems I never stop recovering from stroke. I am sure I should have learned more that I did so please jump in with what you see.

I know I need to do something about a good light, hopefully It won't break the bank.

I know I need to explorer ways to always be armed. LOL. Just saw myself with baby glock hanging around neck. Kidding but do need to always be holding.

Maybe we get to use to what we have .I know I Did. We should practice with what we have at the very least think of what we would do with what we have.

• Administrator

Kudos to you for acknowledging a deficiency in your overall preparedness and then making plans to remedy them. Especially the part about doing some walk-throughs to lay some plans for the day you hope never comes. Most people don't bother! They buy a gun, slap a light on it and stuff it in a drawer and never think about "what if".

• Like 1

Just a thought. Why not clear the room with the lightswitch? It is easier and much more expansive than a flashlight when it comes to lighting up a room. It doesn't replace a good flashlight but in most cases a room light will cover more area with light that a flashlight. After the light has been turned on that is when you hit the bad guy in the face with your flashlight to hopefully immobilize or at least blind him.

It is also important to only use the light to identify your threat and try to minimize the amount of light you, yourself, cast. A flashlight in your hand identifies where you are but a light being turned on may not. You know your house better than they do, especially in the dark, so keeping it as dark as possible until you need to clear a room of threats keeps you at an advantage.

I always grab a flashlight and a gun when I hear something. I travel to the sound in the dark then hit a lightswitch with my off hand. I most cases that is followed by a cussing of our cats.

As far as a flashlight I use a Nitrolon G2 with a LED bulb installed. They are cheap and are very, very durable. And with a LED, that casts and extremely white light, it will blind most people. The LED's are also a lot more durable than the standard bulb. The standard bulbs seem to only last a short time for me no matter how careful I thought I was being . Now with the LED I use and abuse it without issue.

Dolomite

More emphasis on a good flash light.

There are plenty of great brands out there, but I just have a $15 LED light that I found at home depot. It isn't as compact as some of the surefires or fenix lights, but it is just as bright since it takes 4 AA's. The key is just making sure you look at the lumen count on the box. If you get something in the 125+ lumen range it is going to be very blinding to someone's eyes that have adjusted to the dark. Even if you have the lights on in the room, that flashlight will keep them from being able to look right at you.

Guest Wildogre

I am no means an expert but I have thought about this and done several quick run throughs. I would first do a threat analysis. What is the crime rate in your area? That will determine if you have to be armed all the time or not. How many people do you live with, wife, teenagers, young kids, any pets? This will determine what and how you clear.

My situation is simple I basicly live alone. So I do not have to clear the house that also means anyone inside other than me and the dog can be considered uninvited.

I have done a quick walk through of what I would do if woken up in the middle of the night. So I at least have a plan and practice it when I can not remember the last time that I did. Which is stay in the bedroom and call 911. When the blue lights show up, open the bedroom window and let them know where I am. Let them clear the house.

As far as lights I have two that I keep handy. One is a cheap 9 LED from Harbor Freight under $10 or less. Lights up an area fairly well but does not throw a beam worth a flip. The second is a FourSeven Quark Tacitical $65 which can be set to either strobe or high beam. There is a thread here on lights that will go into details of various lights. I chose this one because it had the strobe function I was looking for.

As far as being armed all the time. That should be based on your threat assessment. I can tell you that I live in a quiet area in Nashville that has very little crime in my immediate area. However there have been home invasions and shootings in a three mile area. So I do take that into account.

Also at least dry fire holding your light if you go with a light off the gun. Better yet go to the range and actually send rounds down range holding your light.

As you have found out the key is to have plan and to practice it.

interesting... and good for you bringing up a serious matter...

Generally agree w/ wildogre...

it depends on the situation.

IF you live alone or the other occupant shares your room, the very best options is as follows:

Turn on the light in your bedroom or nearest the door.

get behind your bed with your firearm aimed at the doorway

call 911 and don't hang up. while on the phone, announce loudly, you are armed, you have called the police

ANYONE who comes through the doorway of a lit room following your announcement is only there for one reason, and that is to do you harm. shoot them.

Stay in place until the police arrive. speak to the dispatcher and give them your location in the house so you don't kill a cop or get killed.

just a thought...

and of course, if others occupy your home, things will have to happen differently, and that is a plan you must make in advance, not in the fog of confusion...

Edited by crashgordan

Light switch works a treat, if the robber hasn't pulled breaker or something.

Maybe you should consider one of these:

ltg-736_classic_6.jpg

http://www.crimsontrace.com/01-7040

I have one on XD, love it. The 100 lumens are certainly enough to cause real consternation and the beam is nice and wide, lights up most of a room. Idiot proof, grip the gun firmly and it's on. Keeps a hand free.

http://www.tngunowne...ace-lightguard/

- OS

I use a led 3cell mag light. $40 at lowes or anywhere else. I don't live alone so do walk thur house in dark. I just recently purchased my childhood home so I can walk thur it blindfolded and hit all the switches. I have scared the bejesus out of my daughter by flipping on the light when she is trying to come in late undetected. It was fun for me. Where I live is very rural, so dialing 911 and waiting is not an option(45minute response time.) I also have 3 good burglar alarms, they get out of bed go check out noise and come back and lay down. I am sure that a bg would be very unhappy if he got past the pit bull.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

• Like 1

Man that got my heart going just reading, we have dogs that let us know if things are going on.

No we are not jaded to the barking, we always look to see.

As far as a light, A small thin bright light will give you tunnel vision,

you cant past where the light is, We keep lights on in every room,

most are very small, gives just enough light to see things.

Use the room lights as has been said. If the power is out

Stay put if you think someone is in the house that does

not belong there and do what crashgordan said.

Coastal LED Lenser. $40 at HomeDepot. It's tail cap operated, blinding and casts a beam great for squirl or coon huntin'. NO LIE. Bright enough to lite a large 48x36 room easily. Uses 3AAA batteries.

I've got one I carry everyday with my usual stuff and the wife has one for the bed side. While playing with them, we've had neighbors call to ask if out lights are out or if we know someone with a flash light is walking around our house. When the neighbors notice you're playing with a flashlight, it's a darn good light. :rofl:

I understand where you are coming from. Here was my situation. Maybe it will help you. Personally, i have dimmer switches on the lights in the hallways and main rooms. I keep the lights on a low dim at night. I'm sure it costs me a few dollars a month in energy but crooks hate light and i can see my target (assuming it is a threat to my location--if you can get by the dogs and the alarm the unoccupied bedrooms are yours for the taking...just dont step in the hallway)

Thanks for all the posting , Talking about it is helping. I didn't get my mom involved because she is 80 and I did not want her to worry, but I now believe my thinking is wrong. Because of her age maybe she should be more involved. I like Glocks and she knows nothing about guns so I bought a g26 for her to keep in the kitchen. All she has to do is point and pull. How many times have you herd this. All the sudden it doesn't sound to smart. I believe some training for mom would help her overcome that scary feeling she has when the word gun is spoken.

I have written the names of several lights and will look at others.

My mom has been out of state for some time and when she gets back we will go to work I'll make some fun out of it if possable.

We have a big house for two. living room is 30 by 50 with 5 bedrooms big separte kitchen and family area room 60 feet long at rear of house and basement.. Lots to clear. I will practice but I am thinking I should get mom safe and hold up for police.

Thanks again for the help.

If you decide on a weapon mounted light take it to the range. Many years back I had some money to waste and bought a weapon mounted light that was middle to top of the pack in quality. Maybe a year ago I decide to shoot with it mounted.....stupid light fell off! 2 rounds is all it took.

Replaced that one and will never make that mistake again.

I have also thought about having multiple guns available in the house but really prefer not chancing it. Prefer to not arm the bad guy.

Good luck with your search.

If you decide on a weapon mounted light take it to the range.......stupid light fell off! 2 rounds is all it took.

Yep, did same with first shotgun light mount I tried.

That's one good thing about the Crimson Trace LightGuard, it locks in as a pretty much integral part of the frame and rail, not dependent on screws holding a weaver mount only. And although all the reviews were good, I put it through its paces with 50 rounds to make sure the light held up okay, which of course it did.

- OS

When the house situation changes ie. new kids, furniture, swapping of bedrooms, we do walkthroughs just to make sure we can do it with no problems. We go as far as getting our entire family barricaded in a room. My family had a break in when I was a kid and because we did the walkthroughs we were ok. It scared us when we found out that the cops found a shotgun and a handgun on the guy when they caught him leaving our house.

Guest The Dude

I'd rather the intruder not know Im aware of his presence until its too late. Not only would turning the lights on expose you and your position, but it will also ruin your night adapted vision. Theres a thing called light discipline. I'd advise everyone to look into it. Thats where the weapon lights with momentary switeches come in very handy. Especially those with a high lumen output to disorient the intruders night adapted vision. I run a Surefire X300 on my Glock 21.

I've done several walk throughs both day & night to identify my weak spots. I especially pay attention to clearing spots where an intruder could hide & have me as a target. There's only one really weak spot & that's going down stairs into my very large open basement. The bad guy could get a shot off from around 1 of 2 corners or from the other side of the couch. so, I have to play the peak & hide game. This worries me. Plus the safe room is down there…. The only effective way to clear that room would be coming in from the outside but with that if I'm walking around upstairs, he knows I'm up. I could really use some help figuring the whole basement issue out.

As for lighting though, I'm with Dolomite & ParrotHead both. I keep a few lights on 24-7 & use a light switch. I still carry a high powered but lite LED flashlight & hope that will be enough to surprise and/or blind. Light & noise discipline is hard to some by in this house.

I think it would be a good idea to grab a friend & play good guy/bad guy. Walk through different scenarios with laser pointers as guns. Or something to that affect. Where you both take turns looking at things from different prospectives. Maybe the other person will identify weaknesses that you haven't.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

Edited by TNBrat

Prexactly.

I actually played this out just the other day when I came home to a basement door breach. The wife had left it open and didn't set the alarm. The dog was out with me so I sent her in and we cleared it together. If there was anyone in the house she would have smelled them. Even designer lap dogs are going to react to a stranger in the house; they will smell them.

I actually played this out just the other day when I came home to a basement door breach. The wife had left it open and didn't set the alarm. The dog was out with me so I sent her in and we cleared it together. If there was anyone in the house she would have smelled them. Even designer lap dogs are going to react to a stranger in the house; they will smell them.

My 100+ pound Doberman is in the house. Until a couple of years ago if anyone came on my property he let me know. He’s in bad health now. When he passes I’ll have to make security changes.