9mm AR Pistol

kwe45919

I'm seriously thinking on building a 9mm AR pistol that uses Glock mags. It'll be the first AR pistol I've toyed wtih. I suppose I need to research more but as I was looking at a thread in the rifle section I just got to thinkin' why hasn't anyone wanted to do this? Is it a novelty only thing or are there people out there that build AR's in pistol calibers as long as it fits in a Glock Mag. Got me thinkin' even more about "for poops n giggles" about an AR in 10mm that takes Glock mags. With all this sillyness floating through my brain I came up with the silly determination to see this project through. All my Glocks in the house are 9mm. I have an AR. Seems fitting to add an AR pistol to the family.

Anyone have any knowledge or tips they could pass on because they've built the 9mm AR pistol vs the rifle? I'd imagine they'd be just about the same to build, just different parts in different places.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've almost finished building my 9mm AR pistol. It functions great, I just want to add a few more things like Magpul angled grip, the RSA for sling attachment and buffer pad. They are almost the same to build, but I used a dedicated CMMG lower and ramped bolt to allow for standard LPK. Mine utilizes a 5" barrel and 7" quad for the recessed suppressor look. I'll post a pic when I get home. I can tell you that it is a blast to shoot and I'm glad I took the time/money to build it. However, I will be applying for my form1 to SBR it in the near future. I built it in this configuration so I could play until my paperwork comes back from ATF.

I've almost finished building my 9mm AR pistol. It functions great, I just want to add a few more things like Magpul angled grip, the RSA for sling attachment and buffer pad. They are almost the same to build, but I used a dedicated CMMG lower and ramped bolt to allow for standard LPK. Mine utilizes a 5" barrel and 7" quad for the recessed suppressor look. I'll post a pic when I get home. I can tell you that it is a blast to shoot and I'm glad I took the time/money to build it. However, I will be applying for my form1 to SBR it in the near future. I built it in this configuration so I could play until my paperwork comes back from ATF.

That's the thought I was mulling over in my head. Pistol it until the paperwork comes back then SBR it if I don't like the pistol part.

'

That was the thread I was readin' which gave me the big idea of building one.

I've almost finished building my 9mm AR pistol. It functions great, I just want to add a few more things like Magpul angled grip

I'm about 75% sure, adding any sort of angled or vertical foregrip to an AR "Pistol", will make it an AOW and would thus require a Tax Stamp.

SBR = Buttstock

AOW = Angled/Vertical Foregrip

Pistol = Neither -- Buffer tube with no serrations to attach a buttstock later

I'm not entirely up to snuff on this, but I remember reading this somewhere .... our educated NFA veterans on this board might be able to answer this better than I :)

Edited by xRUSTYx

I'm about 75% sure, adding any sort of angled or vertical foregrip to an AR "Pistol", will make it an AOW and would thus require a Tax Stamp.

SBR = Buttstock

AOW = Angled/Vertical Foregrip

Pistol = Neither -- Buffer tube with no serrations to attach a buttstock later

I'm not entirely up to snuff on this, but I remember reading this somewhere .... our educated NFA veterans on this board might be able to answer this better than I :)

Not quite. Angled foregrip is OK, no vertical grip.

Not quite. Angled foregrip is OK, no vertical grip.

Is this actually in literature, or simply a *gray* area? Thanks for the feedback Lumber Jack :) If I go this route, I just want to make sure I don't have a date with concrete walls & bars :) LOL