Apparently, we are not as bad off as we think, Puerto Rico votes for statehood...

Guest HvyMtl

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-ricans-opt-statehood-referendum-134423786.html
Puerto Rico voted for statehood. They want to be our 51st state. If we are as "bad off" as the neysayers say, the why would any territory want to become a part of this nation?

By the way, being a territory is typically more beneficial than being a state. From what I studied way back in the days of college, the population will get less benefits than they would staying a territory.

I find it interesting.

Thoughts?
Becoming a state would give them 2 senators and some reps in the House. Right now they have one guy that can speak, but doesn't have any voting power. So they'd get to have more of a voice in the legislature. They'd also get to vote for POTUS, which they can't do now.

I don't see PR becoming #51 in the very near future. The vote taken Tuesday can be interpreted different ways and it's not clear that it would be a popular move. But it's trending that way. Each time this comes up in PR, the vote leans a little more towards statehood. Once it gets closer to 60/40 or 70/30, I think we'll see Congress take up the issue. At a very slight majority in one election, I don't see it happening. Give it another 10-20 years and we'll probably have to get new flags. Edited by monkeylizard

[quote name='KOM2' timestamp='1352397125' post='841877']
Maybe we could make a deal and drop a state at the same time to keep the flags correct? What does everyone think? CA, IL? I'm open.
[/quote]

I would want TX to drop off, so I can move to the new republic of TX :)

• Like 5
Maybe we could make a deal and drop a state at the same time to keep the flags correct? What does everyone think? CA, IL? I'm open.
[/quote]I'll vote for New York and Bloomingidiot. Heck just his ego takes up the space of a state, maybe we should get rid of it.

[quote name='K191145' timestamp='1352404388' post='841962']
They just want them some of that free gubment cheese. The people of P.R. want those freebies Obama is promising, food stamps, welfare, health care, and Chevy Volts.
[/quote]

Phones, can't forget phones. :)

I guess they want free phones.
[/quote]

Lets drop NY. At least CA tends to stick to themselves unlike NY.
  • Like 1
I oppose it. We already have enough people dependent on the system. We don't need more. Just let em secede and become their own country. Now, if we could just kick NYC and Chicago out of the union I'd be all for it. Edited by Seabeejason

This way this country works now if they ever do get statehood they probably will get to design the new flag.

Notice how the stars are in a circle? Seen the new USA Today logo? What does it remind you of? :tinfoil:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Obama_logomark.svg/200px-Obama_logomark.svg.png[/img]
[size=1][url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Obama_logomark.svg/200px-Obama_logomark.svg.png"]http://upload.wikime...ogomark.svg.png[/url][/size]

Edited by Garufa

[indent=1]I don't really like the idea of Puerto Rico becoming State 51 either... eh... I second the notion of Tennessee seceding. The leading members of TGO should comprise the parliamant or senate or whatever the Gun Nation of Tennessee would have. :P[/indent]

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352433272' post='842266']
If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve. ;)

- OS
[/quote]

You have no choice. It's being bestowed upon you! And the nice thing about it is, you don't have to stand on a stool to staple a target up or turn on a light switch like Kim Jung Uhhhhh.
You'll serve just fine!!! LOL

Dave S