daughters first handgun

Guest ochretoe

Guest ochretoe
My Grandmother has decided to get my daughters first handgun for her for her 21st Bday. I want her to get a revolver but she is hung up on a semi-auto. What do you all recomend for a small frame .380 or .40. I carry a Glock 22 so .40 ammo is available but what I wan't doesn't seem to matter. I'm leaning towards a Ruger or Bersa or Walther. Any other ideas, sugestions or concerns for a small handed young lady (I use the term loosely)

I'd go with 9mm over 380.

In micro/pocket size, my wife had the easier time with a P238/P938. I'd go with that if she wants to carry.

For at home/self defense, my wife prefers the Springfield XDm 9mm compact. :)

A good carry/home defense might be like a Ruger LC9, although my wife doesn't like the long trigger pull of the Ruger. If she doesn't want a revolver, I doubt she'll like a long trigger pull, thus the reason of the P938 and/or XDm

Let her try the Walther PK380. I describe it as a .380 on a 9mm frame. There were some recalls on some serial numbers earlier this year, but it was a limited number. My wife's one is pink and has over 1000 rounds through it with no problem except it doesn't like flat nose FM bullets. Had a couple of FTFs with them. It is easy to rack and very fun to shoot. The only down side is the take apart process.

Multiple women have shot my wife's and atleast 3 have bought one after shooting it. Edited by MississippiBoy
If the ultimate purpose is to have something appropriate for personal defense I would not buy anything less than a 9MM. I realize the smaller calibers are popular with many and the adage of "any gun of any caliber you have with you is better than any gun of any caliber you don't" has merit but as an only/first gun I just wouldn't waste my time with the smaller calibers.
I she likes a semi auto then let her go for that. My girlfriend can run a Glock better than many cops I know. And she is NOT a gun person, just well practiced.

I am of the belief that a defense gun should have as many rounds of the most potent caliber a person can run efficiently. Let her decide what she likes best and it will be the best possible experience for her.
ruger mark target pistol. The ammo is cheap. Its accurate, and can be used to train both target and combat stance/grips. It will last her a lifetime. Later, she can pick out her own carry gun, once she has had a chance to look at them and try some stuff.

If that is no answer, get her a 9mm, lower priced ammo, middle of the road recoil. Do you know anything about her likes and dislikes?!
[quote name='cajunpredfan' timestamp='1352406874' post='841985']
Best to take her to a range where you can rent several different, including a revolver. My daughter has an SP101 .357 which she shoots .38's only. She loves the gun.
[/quote]

This +100.

You probably wouldn't want her or anyone else regardless of experience picking out your gun, why presume to do it for someone else? Give her an opportunity to make an educated choice and you and her will both be better off.
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352408716' post='842012']

This +100.

You probably wouldn't want her or anyone else regardless of experience picking out your gun, why presume to do it for someone else? Give her an opportunity to make an educated choice and you and her will both be better off.
[/quote]

I second this as well. That is why I started my post with let her try a Walther PK380.
i have to agree with Jonnin and say go with a .22 to give her all the practice she needs to build her fundamentals for pennies on the dollar of any centerfire ammo, the Mark series are nice pistols but there are alot of good .22's out there that would help her transition to modern semi auto's as well such as the walther p22, ruger sr22, sig mosquito, or M&P22
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]Have your daughter go through a firearms safety and HCP course(s) and ask the instructor(s) to bring several handguns for her to shoot. Then take her to a good indoor range with rental guns and rent/shoot any handguns that intrest her, she'll make an informed decision that will please the both of you. If she decide's on a 9mm P as a shooter, home defense or carry pistol the Ruger SR9c is a perfect size good quality for the money pistol. I would hope she stay's within that size range of pistol.[/size][/font]
Guest ochretoe
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352408716' post='842012']
This +100.

[/quote]

I guess I should have mentioned she has shot all of my pistols. Glock 22, Rossi .357 2" revolver, S&W 681 4" .357 revolver, as well as friends Keltc .380 and various .22's. She has been shooting since she could take instruction. I will make sure she handles a lot of weapons before she decides. Thanks for the ideas and help. Edited by ochretoe

[quote name='xRUSTYx' timestamp='1352406897' post='841986']
I'd go with 9mm over 380.

In micro/pocket size, my wife had the easier time with a P238/P938. I'd go with that if she wants to carry.

For at home/self defense, my wife prefers the Springfield XDm 9mm compact. :)

A good carry/home defense might be like a Ruger LC9, although my wife doesn't like the long trigger pull of the Ruger. If she doesn't want a revolver, I doubt she'll like a long trigger pull, thus the reason of the P938 and/or XDm
[/quote]

Your wife and mine must be [url="https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=vaK&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1920&bih=925&spell=1&q=psychically&sa=X&ei=omScUN_kEqqw2gX--YGYDw&ved=0CCsQBSgA"][b][i]psychicly[/i][/b][/url] connected. This is her setup as well. :)

I also completely agree with everyone who says to let her shoot different guns and decide for herself what she likes/wants.

Jeff

Guest rustygun
My wife loves her xdm9 and my xds45. The xds is very nice and doesn't have the kick that you would expect. My wife would rather shoot it over anything. Edited by rustygun
If she is interested in a .40 semi-automatic, and she has somewhat small hands I can recommend she try (if she can find one to shoot) a Springfield Armory EMP. I love minein .40, and my wife loves hers in 9 mm. My everyday carry is a Sig P238, which is also a really easy gun to shoot, unlike some of the smaller .380 pocket guns.

My 22 year old daughter has a Bersa BP9cc which she likes pretty well, but it is not .380 or .40, which you said is preferable.
  • 2 weeks later...