TN Outlaw

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer
My opinion...
Pros: size, weight, caliber, price, design
Cons: the size, plus the weight in the caliber creates a nice kick. Hurt my hand after a box. Also. If you have large fingers like mine, it may be uncomfortable when trying to get your finger in the trigger housing. The area in front is so small. Also, my finger kept getting g pinched between the bottom of trigger and the triggee guard.

Over all....real nice piece. Mine me asking what price point it?
[quote name='rebeldrummer' timestamp='1352431710' post='842242']
My opinion...
Pros: size, weight, caliber, price, design
Cons: the size, plus the weight in the caliber creates a nice kick. Hurt my hand after a box. Also. If you have large fingers like mine, it may be uncomfortable when trying to get your finger in the trigger housing. The area in front is so small. Also, my finger kept getting g pinched between the bottom of trigger and the triggee guard.

Over all....real nice piece. Mine me asking what price point it?
[/quote] found on with 2 mags box holster for 225
Read the instruction manual, clean and lube the pistol before shooting it, then run a couple of hundred rounds through it to break it in. After this keep it cleaned and lubricated and you should be good to go with a very reliable pistol. My only problems with the one I owned had nothing to do with any reliability or accuracy problems. The trigger guard was too small for me and every time I fired the pistol it beat the crap out of my finger. With the arthritis I’d begun to develop I couldn’t continue to shoot the pistol, which was too bad I loved its size and reliability.
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1352431663' post='842240']
dry fire it once before you buy it.
[/quote]

You should NOT Dry Fire a KelTec PF-9 with out the use of SNAP CAPS. The extractor screw (actually the extractor spring screw) holds the firing pin in place and if you dry fire these pistols the firing pin will smack the screw and damage the threads or even break the screw all together. If you damage the screw it makes it hard to remove from the slide and can even mess the threads up in the slide if you try to remove the extractor screw. If the screw breaks, the firing pin can fall out the rear of the slide.

I think of the PF-9 as a "light weight, light carry, limited use" pistol. I say this because if you plan to carry it, you really should practice with it quite frequently and really get to know the pistol.
If you plan to use it alot, I think you will find that a bigger or at least heavier weight and more ergonomic pistol will be more fun and less of a hand full to shoot.

I am by no means saying the PF-9 is a bad pistol. I've never personally seen one fail as of yet. But I have seen a good amount for resale due to the reason listed above.
I my self have owned a P11 and it was 100%, but no real fun to shoot for extended periods of time. I can only image what it would be like the lighter and smaller PF-9.

For what it is worth, I've seen them go used for $200.

Good luck in what ever you choose to do. Edited by TnShooter83
Guest etnsr9c
I have had 3 of them, the 1st one was good, the last 2 was never reliable. I think that kel tec is a company that designs innovative products, but because of being overrun with demand their quality has went down over time(I have owned several of there guns). I am not trying to run them down I just am giving my opinion.
I carry and shoot mine a lot. I've never had a problem with it, and I like it. It's not the most comfortable gun to shoot, and occasionally my hand will bump the mag release if I'm not careful. I think it's a good 9mm for deep concealment and it disappears in an IWB holster. One thing that really bugs me about it is that night sights are not available to my knowledge because of the way the front sight is constructed. I actually like the sights although they are cheap plastic (just wish I had the option to switch them out with night sights). Mine is freakishly accurate with 147gn HP's Edited by Batman
Guest Aces&8s
I have had one for several years, and it has always been reliable and accurate. I found that putting a hogue grip helps make it more comfortable to shoot. Also, KT makes a trigger shoe that I installed which I found helps a lot with the trigger pull: it does not change the pull, but it does make it [b]seem[/b] lighter somehow. It does not have the refined looks of, say, a Sig, of course, but for the money, I have found it to be a great little carry gun.
My son carries and shoots one all the time and has never had any promblems with it . I bought mine at the same time and during every magazine , at least one time I will release the magazine . I removed the mag release button and shaved it down and it now seldom happens . I don't carry it and wouldn't buy it again if I had it to do over .

I do know Hickok45 did a review on youtube and was having the same problem of releasing the magazine .
I've had two PF9s, each worked great. Tremendous recoil and muzzle flip. They would as another poster mentioned, "Beat the crap out of my finger." I got one about 18 months after I had gotten rid of my first one thinking they may I may not have given myself more time to grow accustomed to the nice sized save yo a... pistol

I call them the The Lil Dragon.

Only guns I have shot that were worse in recoil and muzzle flip is my DB9 and a titanium "j-frame sized" Taurus .357 I had for a time. The only reasons I keep the DB is:(1) it is reliable 2) It looks like a Glock 3) It doesn't beat the crap out of my trigger finger 4) No one I know will buy it from me.

I so enjoyed to load that little titanium .357 with 158 grain magnums and stick it in the paw of other mall ninjas who tend to talk more than they shoot. I never once had a fella say to me "load that thing up again, that sure was fun." The DB9 is nearly the same with standard velocity 115 grain ammo as that little magnum was with magnum ammo.

I do have to say that I tend to shoot the pocket guns with one hand at a fairly brisk pace rationalizing that I probably will run out of time/blood/consciousness/life if I have to get in a strong side two-handed modified Weaver stance to shoot a SYA pistol. I just couldn't develop any confidence shooting the PF9 they way I wanted to use it due to the trigger finger beating I got shooting that gun.

P.S. like an earlier poster mentioned, only dry fire the PF9 with snap caps.
The opinions on the PF9 are varied (As you may have guessed so far). If you go to the KTOG forums there is a sticky on there about doing a "fluff and buff". It is basically just going through the gun and polishing all of the parts where metal touches metal. I had a PF9 a while ago and never had to do this. I also never had any trouble out of the gun. I did polish the feed ramp but that was a "just in case" thing.

At this price point I think you would be happy with it even if you have to go through it and polish it. Doing that seemed to fix any problems folks were having with them. I carried mine daily and shot it every week. It was a reliable piece for me.
The magazine drop problem that Keyless mentioned above seems to be fairly common with the PF9. I'm sure it probably depends on the grip of the shooter but I would (at the very least) check your grip on the weapon to see if there is any way it you think it will make the mag drop. Just about all the pocket semi-autos seem to be hit or miss when it comes to reliability... My p3at, (and the LCP I had once upon a time) always work(s) when it's clean, well-lubed, and loaded with good ammo. From what I understand this is the case with most any of the small pocket pistols, even the more expensive ones like the Kahrs and Sigs. You just can't take for granted they will work like you can with a medium to large Glock, Sig, M&P, XD etc....
[sub][url="http://www.goldenloki.com/gunsmith.htm"]http://www.goldenloki.com/gunsmith.htm[/url][/sub]

[sub]This site has all you need to get your Ketec running smoothe besides the already mentioned KTOG. However, I much prefer the hardchromed slides and barrels on Keltecs as they need little of this prep, and are easier in my mind to clean.[/sub]
The P11 is more comfortable to shoot than the PF9 and the fluff and buff really help's it out a lot. It's an improved design of the Grendal clip feed pistol from some year's ago. They aren't high usage pistol's being intended to carry a lot but shoot far less but I like them, I wouldn't recommend one to you though. Take your money and shop around for a used CZ75 clone or a Springfield Armory in 9mmP instead, you'll have a better pistol.