CIA Director Gen. Petraeus Resigns over reported affair...

[quote name='gun sane' timestamp='1352844848' post='845042']
Rush Limbaugh's clever line: "Too many generals are taking orders from their privates."
[/quote]
And "The Housewives of West Point!" :D

By way of Marko Kloos at this blog posting I found an interesting take on the story:

[url="http://www.munchkinwrangler.com/2012/11/13/the-surveillance-state-eats-its-own/"]http://www.munchkinw...e-eats-its-own/[/url]
[indent=1]
[i]“Having the career of the beloved CIA Director and the commanding general in Afghanistan instantly destroyed due to highly invasive and unwarranted electronic surveillance is almost enough to make one believe not only that there is a god, but that he is an ardent civil libertarian.”[/i][/indent]
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352843602' post='845032']
What's the real issue? All I'm hearing about is his resignation because of an affair with this woman.
[/quote]

Read this whole thread to begin with.

There is at the least a Benghazi coverup connection involved.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
And now on the sex side of the mess, sounds like Gen. John Allen, likely next head of NATO, is compromised. Nomination on hold for investigation.

And of course, the first closed Senate hearings on Benghazi are about to start, with the ones most knowledgeable not available. Hildebeeste is conveniently in Australia on a wine tasting mission.

And of course Susan Rice, who spouted the completely discredited "video explanation", is probably gonna be nominated for next Secretary of State.

Somebody made the statement today that Watergate pales to the serious nature of this Benghazi subterfuge, and I agree.

- OS
[quote name='MacGyver' timestamp='1352862904' post='845221']
All they lack is someone playing the role of deepthroat.
[/quote]

Interesting theory here I just heard spouted on Fox by a Rep:

Admin knows about Petraeus and the affair good long while ago.
Petraeus makes the "nobody in CIA refused aid to the Benghazi consulate" after we know somebody did.
Then why would Petraeus then go to the Hill and parrot the "it was the video" spiel AFTER that?

Well, it would make sense if BHO pulls the dirt chit from his pocket and essentially blackmails Petraeus with it.
Then, after talking to counsel, Petraeus decides to come clean, so that no more blackmail is possible, and resigns.
And is then able to wrangle a deal for immunity for any possible criminal charges to testify to Congress.

In which case we may indeed hear what he knew and when he knew it. Or more importantly, who [i]else[/i] knew what and when [i]they[/i] knew it.

I hope he has bodyguards. This is starting to get very John Le Carre-ish.

- OS
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352863643' post='845233']

Interesting theory here I just heard spouted on Fox by a Rep:

Admin knows about Petraeus and the affair good long while ago.
Petraeus makes the "nobody in CIA refused aid to the Benghazi consulate" after we know somebody did.
Then why would Petraeus then go to the Hill and parrot the "it was the video" spiel AFTER that?

Well, it would make sense if BHO pulls the dirt chit from his pocket and essentially blackmails Petraeus with it.
Then, after talking to counsel, Petraeus decides to come clean, so that no more blackmail is possible, and resigns.
And is then able to wrangle a deal for immunity for any possible criminal charges to testify to Congress.

In which case we may indeed hear what he knew and when he knew it. Or more importantly, who [i]else[/i] knew what and when [i]they[/i] knew it.

I hope he has bodyguards. This is starting to get very John Le Carre-ish.

- OS[/quote]

He's an admitted adulterer, which diminishes his credibility. Unless he has more than his word as proof, it's going to be deny, deny, deny.
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352864096' post='845241']
He's an admitted adulterer, which diminishes his credibility. Unless he has more than his word as proof, it's going to be deny, deny, deny.
[/quote]

Petraeus damaged has more credibility than Obama anointed.
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352864096' post='845241']
[/quote]

Documentation is de rigueur for spooks who name names.

On unrelated note, General Kip Ward is demoted for living large on the taxpayer dime. Forced to personally pay back $82k, too.

Seems like I would be in jail for doing that.

- OS
He wrote a report before he resigned. If it isn't deeply classified by now, that's his credibility.

I think Quiet Dan said it a while back. Don't mess with spooks. They have a way of biting back.
I'm sure Petraeus tried to take the most graceful way out of disgracing his wife and his office.
This story will break for a long time to come.
  • Admin Team
You know, it's interesting that David Petraeus is still very well respected despite this "personal failing." I don't condone what he's done, but I think a lot of people recognize this for exactly what it is. He was forced out before he made the administration look bad.

I have faith that we will hear the whole story. I hope General Petraeus gets to tell his side of things. I hope he doesn't show up dead in a few months.

I think we'll hear what happened simply because the administration is trying to cover up too much, and too many people are involved. No way to suppress all of them.
I'd love to see that happen, all the way to the top. That many deals couldn't be made. That's what is so funny
and sad at the same time. It is truly amazing how these bastards think of another's life. Totally wrong. The
arrogance of Mrs. Clinton saying she doesn't have time to answer questions really chaps my ass.
[quote name='MacGyver' timestamp='1352865547' post='845263']
The interesting thing, to me is going to be when all of the rats start abandoning the sinking ship. I expect we may see more than a few trying to cut deals to save their skin.
[/quote]

You know, one thing that hasn't (re)surfaced, is that the whole reason Chris Stevens was even set up in Benghazi had to do with some sort of a secret arms deal between the CIA and the new Libyan govt. That wasn't even an embassy, just a temporary "diplomatic outpost", for whatever reasons.

- OS
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352865994' post='845270']
You know, one thing that hasn't (re)surfaced, is that the whole reason Chris Stevens was even set up in Benghazi had to do with some sort of a secret arms deal between the CIA and the new Libyan govt. That wasn't even an embassy, just a temporary "diplomatic outpost", for whatever reasons.

- OS
[/quote]And that one of the Seals was there hunting down and destroying some kind of other weaponry, like some kind of rocket launchers if I remember correctly.
[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1352867729' post='845297']
And that one of the Seals was there hunting down and destroying some kind of other weaponry, like some kind of rocket launchers if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

And I didn't even mention the shirtless photos that the FBI agent sent to Jill Kelly, the whistle blower that got the investigation started, who also received the beau coup suggestive emails from General Allen.

Of course the admin is crystal clear how they know nothing classified was compromised in all this part of the mess, but of course anything related to the night in Benghazi now that they've finally gotten off The Video is still "we dunno, fog of war". Of course, they gave the film maker a quick year in the slammer, they were sure "clear" about that, eh?

This whole thing is like a soap opera written by Tom Clancy.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1352867729' post='845297']And that one of the Seals was there hunting down and destroying some kind of other weaponry, like some kind of rocket launchers if I remember correctly.[/quote]

He was working a contract to track down shoulder fired anti-air missiles that would have been raided out of Libya's depots. Very important to get those located before they spread to the four winds.
The man whored around, big deal, 90% of the world does the same thing. The man is good at seeing to the death of terrorists. Should just let him do his job.

Funny how the media wouldn't report a damn thing over benghazi but they are on this like a pack of wild dogs. This country is so stupid, I don't have the words to descibe.
  • Like 1
[size=4][color=#000000]First….., full disclosure.[/color]

[color=#000000]While I never worked directly for GEN Petraeus, I did come in contact with him several times during the 2001 - 2004 timeframe. He was always the smartest guy in the room and he liked that fact. I really didn't care for the way he treated his senior staff, but that was more of a leadership style difference between commanders. So count me as neither pro nor con Petraeus.[/color]

[color=#000000]I think Petraeus has made a masterful and brilliant strategic move.[/color]

[color=#000000]He has taken away the key element that his enemies could hold over him, the affair. [/color]

[color=#000000]That affair was supposed to keep him in line to continue whatever Great Lie the admin wish for him to speak in regard to Libya.[/color]

[color=#000000]Now the affair can’t be used against him. Also by resigning as the DCIA, he is no longer part of the admin and therefore has no requirement to be loyal to the false actions and directions that this POTUS has taken.[/color][color=#000000] [/color]

[color=#000000]All that is required now is for the Right Questions to be asked of Petraeus.[/color][/size]
  • Like 1
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352865994' post='845270']

- OS
[/quote]

I believe it had Consulate status rather than just a temporary "diplomatic outpost." There are hundreds around the world in non-capital cities. They are subordinate to the Ambassador who sits at the Embassy. There is usually a Consulate General in charge. Typically, in "normal" countries they deal with U.S. citizen affairs, business concerns and are most well know for issuing visas to the U.S. In this case perhaps it was just a way to have a formal USG presence.