Hostess Shrugged

atlas3025

[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1353077496' post='846506']
If the unions wanted to accept a deal for a strike, then that means they started a strike in the first place. The management could've let them step into this mess, and even if that is so, it's the union's fault for not having the correct information from the beginning.
[/quote]
The only reason for the strike is because of the attempt for a deal by the company that could keep the company solvent.
The union could have felt they were pushed into this situation, but that is bull. Like I said earlier, they mad their bed when
they extorted benefits at an earlier date that ended up causing part of the problem. Even if the company is at fault, it is the
only one trying to keep the doors open, so I have to say the rank and file are a bunch of real fools, or they already milked
their benefits to the point it doesn't matter to them, and left the company in shambles for future profitability. It's the same
thing that's going on with larger municipalities that are having to borrow to keep up with pension plans for teachers, police
and firemen's pensions that have bled the cities for years.

No pity from me for any of them. It's called theft from the taxpayer, as usual.
[quote name='wcsc12' timestamp='1353077778' post='846508']
Personally, my butt wouldn't have striked in the first place. 8% paycut isn't too bad vs getting paid nothing.
[/quote]

Exactly, the unions have to answer to its people, but they also have access to the financials of the company. If they decided to strike out of emotion instead of making an informed decision on the data, then chalk this up to an important and very expensive lesson learned.
You're mistaken about unions having to answer to its rank and file. They don't answer to anyone. They just take money.
Maybe fifty-sixty years ago, but not nowadays.
I'm in one, I know firsthand. Edited by 6.8 AR
I love Twinkies (not that I should) but I'm glad they are going through with liquidation...thank God somebody has enough balls to stand up to idiotic union thugs (sorry for repeating myself there).

I feel a little sorry for the line workers who will be out on the street but not overly so since they are the ones who wanted and installed the union and elected their union officials.

Karma really is a bitch, isn't it.
[quote name='hipower' timestamp='1353078156' post='846521']
I have probably eaten more than my fair share of Ding Dongs....wait that doesn't sound right.
[/quote]

This is hilarious at 51 seconds. It will have you rolling on the floor.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmipzWytsYg[/media]
[quote name='6.8 AR' timestamp='1353078986' post='846536']
You're mistaken about unions having to answer to its rank and file. They don't answer to anyone. They just take money.
Maybe fifty-sixty years ago, but not nowadays.
I'm in one, I know firsthand.
[/quote]

And I was as well for 6 years, we held their feet to the fire and during the annual elections we replaced the ones that were doing dumb things. Especially when they started causing issues to justify their own existence.
In the Teamsters, my part being the BLET(engineers), the only ones having any control at the national level, are
the local chairmen and delegates sent to the national level meetings. There is no telling the international level
anything, except when the fools die off or retire. The only input from the little people(the ones paying for everything)
is a vote for the international president and VP's(maybe). There is no upward deployment of ideas or demands,
otherwise. Not saying there couldn't be if the rank and file had some C O Jones, but that isn't the case.

That saying "holding their feet to the fire" has no teeth, other than the fact that a deal was negotiated before any
input was spoken to said members. The members were sold a package and allowed to think they held someone's
feet to the fire, I would be wiling to bet. I have seen five contracts through my employment and membership and I
have never seen anyone hold anyone's feet to the fire, only a lot of rhetoric and chest thumping on the local
chairmen's behalf. I'm not calling you a liar, so please don't take it that way. The pre-packaged deal has been part
of the "deal" for many years. That's why most big companies have large "labor relations" departments, nowadays.

Just the way it is.

It's been years for me, until we went to the bread store in Nashville. Got a couple boxes and they were gone in not time.
The heck with saving them for the end! I sat at the kitchen table eating them up. :D

Every now and then, too infrequently to actually remember how long it's been, I'll get a craving for a Twinkie and buy a package at a convenience store or the grocery. The thought of them, maybe, going away for ever is almost like losing another childhood landmark.

I know there is probably a good possibility that someone will buy the recipe and make them again but often when things like that happen, the product is never quite the same.
[quote name='6.8 AR' timestamp='1353085446' post='846617']
In the Teamsters, my part being the BLET(engineers), the only ones having any control at the national level, are
the local chairmen and delegates sent to the national level meetings. There is no telling the international level
anything, except when the fools die off or retire. The only input from the little people(the ones paying for everything)
is a vote for the international president and VP's(maybe). There is no upward deployment of ideas or demands,
otherwise. Not saying there couldn't be if the rank and file had some C O Jones, but that isn't the case.

That saying "holding their feet to the fire" has no teeth, other than the fact that a deal was negotiated before any
input was spoken to said members. The members were sold a package and allowed to think they held someone's
feet to the fire, I would be wiling to bet. I have seen five contracts through my employment and membership and I
have never seen anyone hold anyone's feet to the fire, only a lot of rhetoric and chest thumping on the local
chairmen's behalf. I'm not calling you a liar, so please don't take it that way. The pre-packaged deal has been part
of the "deal" for many years. That's why most big companies have large "labor relations" departments, nowadays.

Just the way it is.
[/quote]

We were under AFL-CIO and IAM - it operated as more of a gangplank organization than the normal hierarchy on the lower levels, obviously up top it had a normal structure. Also seen a lot of local officers be removed and replaced because they weren't conducting themselves appropriately. On the other hand, also experienced some of the higher ups creating chaos to justify the need for excessive administration, and that's one of the main reasons why I left it.

Guess they're just like any other organization, you have good and bad and it's a flip of the coin on which one you get.
If you left the union, good, but I don't have that option since our union membership voted to close the shop. That's
how they control you. Get a bunch of the membership to vote to close, and your union is cooked from then on. I was
actually happy to be a member when it was open, or voluntary. That changed about five years ago. Been mad ever
since, but was always not much of a member. One look at the by-laws and it is usually all it takes. Most union members
don't even know about the by-laws.
I got a ballot in the mail, the other day, and most of the positions were already filled in as "elected by acclimation" and
just two or three inconsequential positions were left on the ballot. I won't send that one back in.

[quote name='laktrash' timestamp='1353093617' post='846726']
There's still hope
[img]http://sweetiesreviewteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/little-debbie-cloud-cakes-review.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Nope...not as good.

I don't know why but Little Debbie always seems to just not taste as good as the Hostess items they are similar to (or imitating). ;)

[quote name='laktrash' timestamp='1353097400' post='846769']
Little debbie is alot cheaper
[/quote]Which may have something to do with why their products don't taste as good.

I figure that if I'm going to eat unhealthy food I at least want it to taste as good as possible; if I have to pay a few cents more to get the taste I'm okay with that. ;)

• Like 1

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1353098380' post='846779']
Which may have something to do with why their products don't taste as good.

I figure that if I'm going to eat unhealthy food I at least want it to taste as good as possible; if I have to pay a few cents more to get the taste I'm okay with that. ;)
[/quote]

Agreed, Little debbie is also a little smaller but its hard for a family to argue with

Hostess 79 cents or so a pak or Little Debbie $1.09 to $1.29 a box Been awhile since a bought so I may be off a little on pricing

Edited by laktrash