Hostess Shrugged

atlas3025

[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353100588' post='846799']
Hostess has nothing to match the Oatmeal Creme Pie or Swiss Roll.
[/quote]

That is true. But I will miss the Chocolate Ding Dongs, mush more than the twinkie. I do seem to have a chocolate fetish. I've even consumed a few Chocolate Snoballs. Ther're much tastier than the pink ones.
Welcome to globalization, maximum profits and how our government is making us equal, equally poor!

Personally, I have a mixed attitude on that "great sucking sound of jobs leaving America", as Ross Perot coined it. But anyway you look at it, the Federal government is responsible for it. I'm going to ask a few questions looking at it from a blue collar worker (my view), a business owners point of view, the Union view and maybe the government's attitude. This basically applies to the unskilled work force.

First off, are we as Americans and individuals "entitled" to good paying jobs with benefits and a safe working environment? There by reducing the profits of the business owner / company?

Does an individual(s) who takes their savings he / she earned and take "risk" in establishing and running a company / business do it to solely provide jobs and benefits for the locals? Of course not, they do it for profit, to realize the American dream.

Should I have a reasonable expectation or a guarantee to return home from my job alive, healthy and all my limbs still attached?

Does a company / business actually owe their employees anything above and beyond their wages / benefits as the company grows and prospers?

Shall we look at this realistically and do a little bargaining?

During the industrial age in America, great profits were being made by the industrialists and business owners, at the expense of us, the American people. But they had paying jobs they accepted. Not satisfied with wages, benefits and safety... enter the collective bargaining unions to get a piece of the action.

IMHO, unions in their time were needed and necessary to relieve the grip industry had over their employees. But like everything else, it got out of hand and went over board to the point the unions acted like they owned and ran the business / company. The unions just as soon let companies / business's fail rather than look at the "big picture" and future of the company (think coal, cars, etc.).

Enter the local, state and federal governments with all their alphabet soup safety agencies (OHSA, NFPA, etc. etc.).As a retired federal employee supervisor, I'm here to tell you we spent at least 35% of our work day not on production / repair / production, but doing stupid training crap like step ladder training, employee refrigerator temperature daily checks and documentation, I could go on and on. All that B.S. non necessary garbage was hours / days taken away from actual "doing something useful".

Where is the profit or incentive to start or keep a business going fighting the unions, the despicable government bureaucracy that drains capitol and production, all the rules, regulations and road blocks that hinder our American dream?

Least we not forget another alphabet soup letter in the mess, the I.R.S. Has anyone here ever owned a business? How about all the crazy documentation that is required for your taxes? How about paying your taxes a "quarter" ahead before you make a penny on your anticipated earnings? B.S.

Tell me Mr. Achiever, why would you not take your business elsewhere?

There's still opportunity in America to be had if you're willing to work for it and have a bit of ambition to improve yourself and make you attractive to a prospective employer.

Change is certain. I had to roll with the punches, adapt and work hard and improve to make my way in life.

This getting hired by a company your grandfather, dad and you got hired by and expect to retire from it, are now going overseas to a cheap labor pool with little or no government regulations / restrictions.

To sum it up, China owns us, the third world countries are on our heals, and if you want to read this diatribe in ENGLISH, press two! Como?

P.S. I forgot to mention, by WTO agreement, we are required by "law" to purchase many products, produce and food from other foreign countries, not our own producers. We've dug a hole we can't climb out of.

I seldom eat Hostess products because I can make a meal out of them. I love those Twinlies, Snow Balls and Cup Cakes! Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 1
Stopped by two groceries on the way home. Not a twinkie or ding dong to be found. Only crowds of confused people staring at empty shelves. Did score a box of cupcakes and Suzy Q's.

The madness had begun......[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=twinkies&_sacat=0&_from=R40"]http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=twinkies&_sacat=0&_from=R40[/url] Edited by Garufa
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353105218' post='846849']
Stopped by two groceries on the way home. Not a twinkie or ding dong to be found. Only crowds of confused people staring at empty shelves. Did score a box of cupcakes and Suzy Q's.

The madness had begun......[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=twinkies&_sacat=0&_from=R40"]http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40[/url]
[/quote]I'm sorry to hear that...I really wanted to at least have a couple of Twinkies and perhaps a couple of cup cakes before they are gone forever.
Well, I like humor and jokes as well as the next guy, but the fact remains we just lost another long standing American company. I see nothing funny with that.

One by one, our American heritage and dream has been dismantled and sent overseas to third world countries, or dissolved.

It breaks my heart what our children will have to endure in the future. It breaks my heart from what we were, to what we have become, and it's no joke.

I find myself wanting to be able to talk to my long deceased grandfather, great-grandfather and ancestors about this mess. They had wisdom beyond what I possess.

Fortunately, there is one who knows and has predicted the future. I for one trust and respect that.
[quote name='Lions Fan' timestamp='1353077826' post='846511']
They make both of those as well. My Preggo wife just freaked when she found out they own [b]eddys [/b]as well. I guess I will participate in the panic. I guess it is off to the store for [b]Ice cream [/b]and a chest freezer.
[/quote]

Are you confused with Edy's Ice Cream? (owned by Nestle/Dreyer).

What is Eddy's? (owned by Hostess).

- OS Edited by OhShoot
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1353114151' post='846954']
I swear, I didn't do this. Just found it.

[b] Nationalize the Twinkie industry[/b]

[url="https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/nationalize-twinkie-industry/cJz0ngJR"]https://petitions.wh...dustry/cJz0ngJR[/url]
[/quote]

I heard about that on the radio this afternoon.
This is going to start happening a lot. Thank the democratic regime for that.

Company owners and executives will just give up because it's cheaper to say screw you and head toward a souther island chain and have some gal bring him a piña colada and soak up the sun. Start counting boys, how many companies will fall in the next four years?