Show me your .308 AR builds!

TGO David

• Administrator

I'm increasingly tempted to build a "heavy" AR chambered in .308 for some longer range shooting. The Mega Arms MATEN upper/lower receiver combo looks like a nice way to get into it and Ranier Arms has a polygonal-rifled barrel that would mate up to it nicely.

So show me what you guys have built or bought for your 308 AR platform. Give me some ideas. :)

I will post pics of mine when I can get to a camera... I have a DPMS .308 with SASS barrel, but a generic free float tube (I need a rail system of some sort maybe a Troy TRX). I also have a DPMS .260 rem. Both of mine I swapped the stock for a magpul PRS and swapped triggers out for Geissele hi speed match triggers.

If I done it again I would go with the Mega Arms lower. The DPMS SASS barrel is a ridiculously good barrel and can be found cheaply on occasion (mine is a legitimate 1/4 moa shooter), everyone I have talked with who has one has had great results. The ranier arms barrels if they are as good as the select .223 ones should be amazing.
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to either build my own, or buy one outright and mod it.

I was considering the new ArmaLite AR10A rifles since they're updated to accept MAGPUL 20rd magazines.

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=594408c2-b03e-4c8b-8713-83959df8252d

or the Colt

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtLE90116S.aspx

How much is your budget for the 308 build minus scope, scope mount, sights, bi-pod, mono-pod, and flashlights (minus tacti-cool stuff)?
One of the reasons I went with buy over build is the cost is higher on a build with the .308 platform. One option for the buy it now crowd is CMMG, they are selling them at widener's now for a decent price. To add to the annoyance you will need new tools for .308 as your old armorers wrench probably won't work, and of course your vise block will be different

The colt looks interesting to me but I wanted to wait until it had been out for awhile and see how it stood over time. The Armalite was interesting also especially since they are taking pmags, the cost got me and the fact all of the extra little stuff I wanted was more money also (rails, etc...).

The dpms is annoying because you have a high and a low upper receiver when looking for rails and the difference between the two is only about 1/8 inch but enough to be a pain (one of mine is a high and the other a low...).

The cost difference between Armalite and DPMS (at least for my .260) was enough to take a chunk out of my scope.

All of them are great fun though, it's not nearly as fun shooting my 223 AR's now. The .260 has to be the most boring rifle in the world to shoot, it simply puts them one on top of the other, shoots flatter than anything I have ever shot and bucks the wind like a heavy .30.
[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1353363277' post='848409']
I don't have a budget. I'll spend whatever it takes to build a good one, but I am challenging myself to put a complete kit together, with good optics, for $3K or less.
[/quote]

I can't wait to see how this turns out!
I have the DPMS Panther LR-308AP4. It was the NRA Rifle of the year for 2006. I bought mine new in 2007 and have been very pleased with it.

It’s my SHTF rifle, 20 rounds of .308 Winchester makes a brutal battle rifle. It’s better than what our troops have (IMHO).

You can buy it new for around $1200. You could certainly spend more building a 308, but I don’t think you could build any better than some of the out of the box 308’s.

The aftermarket prices are just crazy for .308 stuff. I wish mine didn’t have a front sight post and had a quad rail. If I had it to do over I would just build what I wanted on the DPMS website and then have a local dealer get it for me.

I figured in five years they would be more mainstream and the aftermarket component prices would drop to AR-15 levels. But it hasn’t happened yet. I assume it’s because they cost so much to feed.
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1353381503' post='848592']
I've been very tempted to build one in 260 Remington. May be a bit odd, but you can form it from 308 brass and 6.5mm rules!!
[/quote]

I form mine from .243 and 7mm-08 and get slightly better results. 260 rem is IMO the perfect cartridge, still amazed it never really caught on.

Only detriment is its hard to seat the bullets out far enough and keep it in a magazine, at least for the Berger VLD bullets (the 6.5 Creedmore remedies this somewhat, but is harder to get brass....)
Here are some pics!

DPMS LR-308 with 18" SASS barrel.

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46157926/DPMS/IMG_0313.JPG[/img]

Mega Maten with 20" Krieger barrel.

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46157926/MA-TEN/IMG_1824.JPG[/img]

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46157926/MA-TEN/IMG_1826.JPG[/img]
[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1353502991' post='849071']
Mmmm... MATEN. That's the upper/lower receiver combo I've been thinking about matched up with one of Ranier Arms' 16" polygonally rifled barrels.
[/quote]

They are top notch. The fit and finish is second to none.
[quote name='atlas3025' timestamp='1353514091' post='849127']
If your going to spend more than $2500, just get a SCAR. Went from M1A to SCAR and couldn't be happier. I would like a 308 AR...but would want to keep it under $1500.
[/quote]

Funny how tastes differ. The SCAR is a great rifle but I would totally disagree with you. I have shot one and didn't find it all appealing. For the money I'd rather build an AR10 rifle.
Just differences in folks!
I think the world of the AR platform. I have several in many calibers, and to me its the weight too. The thing is if your spending that much on an AR10, with the SCAR your getting a monolithic rail and a purpose built piston system, and likely you are going to shoot groups just as small with a great deal of weight savings. I shot mine side by side with a REPR, and shot just as well, but weighed at least 3 pounds less.

But again, build or shoot what you want and enjoy. I wouldn't scoff at anyone for building a great AR10 at any price. Just mentioning alternatives! I still intend to round up one too...albeit, more of a lower cost DPMS variety.