New to reloading

I'm loading 9mm with Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets from graf's, Win 231 powder and Tula primers from David. Mixed range brass.

I started on a Dillon Square Deal B. I had no problem with it. I recommend you buy used, though. Otherwise, you're better off with a 550.
[quote name='Flyboy' timestamp='1353555256' post='849337']
9MM to start.
I'll give Dave a call later on after the Turkey digest. LOL

Flyboy
[/quote]

I have a Lee turret press set up for 9mm Makarov and .45 ACP and a Dillon press set up for 9mm. If you're near Reloaders Bench in Mt. Juliet, I'm reasonably close (La Vergne) to you. If you want to take the dime tour of both presses, I'd be happy to have you over. I don't mind helping, since so many people helped me out when I got started.

Just shoot me a PM, if you're interested.
  • Like 1
I am pretty new to reloading as well. I bought the Classic Cast Turret press kit from Lee. I love it!! It's not that fast but its really easy. With the help of a few knowledgeable friends and some experts on TGO I have loaded a couple hundred rounds that performed very well on the range and on a deer hunt. I think with about $300 dollars I had EVERYTHING I needed to start loading. Definitely get a book. Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" is what I use mostly. It is organized well and has a wealth of information. I would definitely recommend Lee but that's all I've ever used. I will say that there are ALOT of very knowledgeable people on this site who are more than willing to help. Good luck!
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1353784685' post='850122']
I'm a big fan of Bullseye powder for target handgun loads.

I loaded 20 rounds of 7x57, 20 rounds of 223, 400 rounds of 45 ACP, and 150 rounds of 38 Special last night and this morning on a single stage press. It didn't take very long at all.
[/quote]

I use it for .45. That's the only pistol caliber I reload.
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1353796514' post='850163']
the auto disk powder thingy for the lee turret press really adds a lot of speed. Its not super precise but its still as good or better than bought ammo and beats the heck out of dipping each one.
[/quote]

Yep. I use that and the on board primer thing. I have a couple of the pro version. I have the cheesey one too, but don't use it.
Guest Frightful1
JMHO, but if you start with a Turret press like the Lee Classic, you can run single stage reloading by removing the ratchet bar. I started with the Lee single stage, and progressed to the Turret and never looked back. I have used the Dillon Square deal and the Dillon 650 and 1050. They are super machines, but I cannot justify the cost on retirement income.
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1353784685' post='850122']
I'm a big fan of Bullseye powder for target handgun loads.

I loaded 20 rounds of 7x57, 20 rounds of 223, 400 rounds of 45 ACP, and 150 rounds of 38 Special last night and this morning on a single stage press. It didn't take very long at all.
[/quote]

I mostly use Bullseye too. I like economy of it, plus it meters very well.
All of these guys are right. Reading is the key. Learn all you can before you start. Check with your shooting buddies for used equipment too. When I told a couple of my friends that I was gonna start reloading they offered all kinds of equipment up for trade. I wound up trading an old blackberry cell phone I didn't use anymore for a single stage RCBS press and powder dispenser w/stand. Not all I need are dies. I have gotten everything but dies and have spent less than $100. That doesn't include powder, primers, and bullets.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest stryker1911
All good adivce above, I got the same answers 4 months ago. Reloading has been a great experience for me and my son. We've learned a lot. Powders....I thought I would find one type and use it ownly, yep, that didn't work. I found certain powder for diferent bullets/firearm/caliber all played into my choices. I have finally found what works for me and the weapons/calibers we have. Just FYI, I use Win231 for my handguns and Varget for our rifles.
I found that reloaders Bench had a used Square Deal B so its under the tree.
Stocking up on brass and reading Lymans Book that I got at reloaders bench.

I noticed a few things on the press, called Dillon and there on there way. No questions asked, what a deal.

Seems that Montana Gold has a case of 9 for 330 or so for 3750 bullets that under .09 as cheap as Berrys bullets, but seem to get higher reviews.

Thanks All

Flyboy
  • 2 weeks later...

FLYBOY~~ As many have said here, READ,READ, watch U Tube movies, talk to other re loaders and WATCH them do it before you attempt to do it yourself.  Powders used in reloading,  vary with the weight of the bullet, style of firearm, etc etc. There is really no one powder fits all. Get yourself 2 or 3 Reloading books and compare the info with the caliber you're interested in reloading. It's down right dangerous attempting to reload rounds and fire them in your gun and walking away  in the same condition as when you started, when you don't know what you're doing.. You can do a lot of damage to your gun and you if you do it wrong. I'm always rechecking my powder weight and the other actions while reloading. You can't do it in a hurry. Good luck. Reloading is fun if it's done right.