New to reloading

Hey like the title says I'm new to reloading so new I don't have a loader yet,
I am planing on getting a dillon loader for Xmas no I'm sorry Christmas (lets put Christ back in Christmas)

What is a good bullet, and powder for a reload. I am planning on getting the Dillon Square B deal so if I go to other calibers I can do it rather easily.

I have checked all kinds of threads on here and on line to find the best bulk Bullets and powder but I want to know what you folks do. I will use them for target range mostly but if the #### hits the fan I want to have thousands of loads to have on hand.

I will probably end up with a 45 also so what ever powder I get I want to be able to load them also.

If I go to reload ak47 or AR15 is the powder the same as the pistol round etc.

Thanks
FlyBoy Edited by Flyboy
  • Like 1
i would first get one of the reloading book and do some reading before i got any equipment. check out some of the powder web site to look at thier reloading data to see what they use for the cals that you want to reload. there are several good reloading web sites to read up also. i would also start out with a single stage press before you moved up to a dillon.
So you dont have a firearm of any kind?
Just backwards from what I did, not a big deal.
I started with 12ga, now it is 40S&W, 38 Special, 308, and 7mm.
Do the reading Frank said to do. Edited by RED333
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353371410' post='848485']
Go buy a reloading manual or two. You have a lot of studying to do. Reloading is not hard at all but I suggest you start with the basics.

What's an ak45?
[/quote]I think He ment AK47
I am glad you asked the question before giving it a shot on your own. As others have said, pick up a reloading manual and read it before you go any further. I do not know of a powder that would work for both a 45 and a 223. If there is, it certainly isn't ideal. Pistols and shotguns use a real fast burning powder, while rifles need a powder with a much slower burn rate. As you have more questions, there are many knowledgeable people here who I'm sure will be glad to assist you. Were you closer, I'd be glad to walk you through the process. I expect there are others closer to you who'd do the same.
Buy "ABC's of Reloading"

I load .45 mostly using 230gr FMJ and Unique powder.

41 magnum 210gr lead flat point with Hogdon H110

.223 with 55gr & 62gr surplus WC 844 & CFE 223

10mm with 200gr flat nose with accurate #9

Powder is about $20 for a pound so you can afford to buy whichever you like for each caliber you load.
Be careful starting out with a mass production press. It does too much at once to keep track of. Check every case for powder before you put in a bullet. Use a powder that will overflow if you get 2 charges in the case. Those are not required but those 2 "rules" will help you prevent mistakes and you may or may not want to continue to do that but I recommend it for starting out. I still check every case for powder --- even if its not exactly perfect, eyeball compared against one you weighed and know is right will keep it inside the safe zone.

I use accurate's 2230 for most of my rifles but it was designed for 223. Its about $18 a pound if you buy the 8 pound jug, and you can actually do better price wise but its not bad and its easy to find this one. Its poorish in large rifles but will be fine in the ak and other small rounds. Large means like 30-06 (but it makes an excellent reduced target load in those as well).

I use a 55 grain generic bullet that I bought several thousand of a while ago. Been using cci mag small rifle primers but regular primers work too, just pick one and stick with it, whichever seems most easy to get in your area.

Trouble with 223 and necked cases is you will have to trim them. That gets old. You might want to invest in a *good* case trimmer if you want to make tons of rounds which, since you are buying a dillion, you probably do...
By the time I got a Dillon press, I had a couple thousand rounds of reloads under my belt and STILL found it to be quite a challenge.

I'd bet that if you started out on a simpler press, you'd get a better understanding of the process. Plus, you could sell it for nearly what you have in it when you're ready to move up to a progressive press.

Don't rely on a reloading manual/book to learn the basics...rely on at least 2 or 3 reloading books/manuals to learn the basics. You'll need multiple perspectives and no single book could answer all my questions or explain every aspect of reloading.

If you get a progressive press to start out with, PLEASE find an experienced reloader willing to help you get it set up.
Yea I have no ideal what a AK45 is so I changed it, that is what a little wine will do for you while posting I guess.

I have loaded 12 gauges before when I use to hunt a lot on a single stage press. I planning on the progressive so I don't waste the money to buy a single press only to eat the cost to get the progressive later.

I also planning on getting the books listed above when I get back home, I understand that its not hard but you need to know what you are doing.

But you also need to know what powder you are going to use to know the load for the case, So I was wanting to know which powder you folks use and why. IE clean burning, density, bulk to keep from double loading etc.

As for bullets for the range here again there are so many round nose bullets. From Hornady, Speer, Winchester, Federal, to Sierra, Armscor, and House brands.
I don't mind spending money (yea I do) but if I can save so money on 1K rounds and get the same quality as a Higher price bullet then I am all in. But I don't want to waste money on a good deal that turns out that it isn't.

I have reloaded 12 Gauges on a single press in the past. I am going in with my brother and we would rather get a progressive from the start and not be wishing the whole time that we had something different.

Reloader's Bench is just around the corner, and Ill take their input, and Im sure they will tell me straight up what they recommend but I would like a few other points of view.

As for the AK45 (AK47) and AR15 is there much saving over surplus ammo cans. I know the AK will eat anything but how is the AR on the surplus stuff. I will have to figure out the cost of the press and other gear on the saving over surplus ammo.

I do have a few guns and a HCP permit. I buy bulk ammo at this time just looking to get a better product at a cheaper price.

Thanks all

Flyboy Edited by Flyboy
Let me second the turret press. It is in between a single stage and progressive -- it makes one at a time but it does it from start to finish, you put an empty brass on the press and pull a ready to fire round off. I can make 50 rounds in 15-20 min for most calibers, when making "bulk" ammo to shoot up fast. Match/precision ammo takes longer as I do each powder charge carefully, the rapid stuff I use an automatic measure that is just slightly better than a dipper for consistency.

As long as you use an appropriate powder and bullet for the caliber, you can find data that will give you a safe load with that combination.

with free brass (I am a member of an outdoor range and pick it up), 223 ammo costs me about $8-9 for 50 to make. Current online prices tell me that pmc brass cased ammo is 400 for 1000 or $20 for 50. So making it at 1/2 cost. You NEVER find ak brass, its all steel and primed in a way that is very, very aggravating to reuse. Edited by Jonnin
As others have stated, I would also suggest you start with a single stage press to get the hang of things. You can buy a Lee press pretty inexpensively. Then, if you still want a progressive press, you'll still find occasional uses for the single stage, such as new load development, or any time you just want to load a few to try for whatever reason.
  • Like 1
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1353451731' post='848912']
As others have stated, I would also suggest you start with a single stage press to get the hang of things. You can buy a Lee press pretty inexpensively. Then, if you still want a progressive press, you'll still find occasional uses for the single stage, such as new load development, or any time you just want to load a few to try for whatever reason.
[/quote]

Truth. You'll most likely want a single stage hanging around anyway.
  • Like 1
Thanks Dolomite,
I had started getting boxes of AR rounds at Academy the Monarch boxes they have at 4.99 or so.
A friend said he wasn't how sure they would cycle thru unlike the AK.
Makes since that surplus should run fine, but they are made by the ruskies!!!!!

Flyboy
[quote name='Flyboy' timestamp='1353508668' post='849097']
Thanks Dolomite,
I had started getting boxes of AR rounds at Academy the Monarch boxes they have at 4.99 or so.

Flyboy
[/quote]

This sounds like the aforementioned steel ammo -- which is, for all practical purposes, not reloadable. I think those are $5 for 20 rounds which is still a good price. I was calling a box 50 earlier. Edited by Jonnin
How you start out is up to you, but I will admit, I started with a SDB, and still use it today. However, I also have a 550B and two single stage presses now. Honestly, if you go to the 550, you will be able to run it as an "advanced" turret press as it does not auto index, and you'll be able to load anything you can buy dies for... except shotgun and 50.

Only you know your technical competance. None of us can say what you are capable of learning, knowing, or doing. But, we can say for a certainty that you CANNOT load 223 or 7.62x39 on a Square Deal B.

FWIW, I use Vihtavouri N320 for 9MM, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. It's on the expensive side, but it's been very reliable, even between lot numbers.

Mac
[quote name='Flyboy' timestamp='1353508668' post='849097']
Thanks Dolomite,

Flyboy
[/quote]

Ammunition made in Russia is NOT surplus. It is cheap junk made as cheap as possible for our market. It will function fine in some guns but it has been known to cause problems in others where American made ammo run 100%. By surplus I am talking about the M855 rounds found at Walmart or other retailers, not imported ammunition.

Dolomite
Ok Ok,
Im going to get a Single stage press!!!
Im not planing on reloading rifle rounds!!!!

What is the best Powder, and Bullets for range shooting?

Where do you find the best place to get the bullets online, Other then Dave at the gun shows.

Flyboy
Still need to know what caliber you are going to shoot.
David is the best place to buy from.
Make your own boolits, best you can get.
[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/MiHec%20mold/401mehic-1.jpg[/IMG]