Are You A Cult Follower

runco

I was told today by a buddy at work that I may be a cult follower due to my obessesion to Sigs. He says that Sigs have that special cult following. That has me thinking, is that accurate? Do Sigs have a cult following? Do Glocks? Obviously AR platforms do, what are some others? What is difference between a cult follower and a groupee? What meets a cult criteria? Share your thoughts.
The whole gun cult thing has always tripped me out. The one that really gets me are the guys that swear up and down on the .45 for a handgun because 9mm just is not strong enough, but at the same time think that the AR with it's overgrown .22 round is top notch and 30cal is overrated. Never understood that.
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]YOU WANT A GLOCK, [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT 3 TIMES A DAY.[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • Like 1
I think most people take it all too seriously. I can see pros and cons in all types of handguns. But what I like and what works for me may be your least favorite choice. I definitely believe there are the big three cults 1911, Glock, and Sigs, I'm not sure the xd crowd is to that point yet. The perfect pistol can never exist. The perfect pistol would have the knockdown power of a 30 caliber rifle with no recoil and a magazine capacity of at least 15 but still have a comfortable grip and be small enough to conceal. Last week my brother came in for thanksgiving. He is wanting to purchase his first pistol so I took him to coal creek and we got some range time and he rented pistols out of the case. It was an education for both of us. I shot a couple guns I have never shot before and some I haven't shot in years. Before we shot my brother said he wanted either a 1911 or a Beretta 92. After shooting and talking about it with him he definitely ruled out the Beretta as a carry gun because of its size. He still likes the 1911 as a shooter but he is not sure about carrying one because of the 7 round capacity. As for me out of all the guns we shot, I shot the best with the Beretta and my pistol a sp2022.

To be on topic until further notice I'm a Sig cult follower. I was drooling over a Sig p226 at coal creek the other day. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1354019608' post='851216']
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT 3 TIMES A DAY.[/size][/font][/font][/size]
[/quote]

That's four times! Now we know you're serious!
  • Like 1
[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1354019608' post='851216']
[/quote]

Why am I hearing that as sung by Twisted Sister? "I wanna Glock, GLOCK! I. Want. A. GLOCK!"

[quote name='tennessee01tacoma' timestamp='1354021781' post='851229'] He still likes the 1911 as a shooter but he is not sure about carrying one because of the 7 round capacity.[/quote]
Well he is in luck unless he wants a officer sized 1911 the 8 round mags are the same size as the 7rnd so he can have 9 rounds in the glorious 1911.
I carry a para warthawg :D so its 11 rounds for me.

Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='Glenn' timestamp='1354021192' post='851226']
Mosin Mania. Why else would a person buy 60 to 100 year old rifles as shooters.
[/quote]

this ^^^^^^
[quote name='jcoosi' timestamp='1354022256' post='851231']
Yeah but a 1911 when shot in the ground causes a gravational shift in the earth rendering the bad guy defenseless.
[/quote]Yes! I don't know why I don't sell all my guns and buy 1911s I could take down a moose from 600 yards using the same method cause they have so much knockdown power.

Not sure being obsessed with Sigs fits the definition of a cult

"The word [b]cult[/b] in current popular usage usually refers to a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_religious_movement"]new religious movement[/url] or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult#cite_note-1"][1][/url][/sup] ".

Maybe if you get down on all fours and bark at the moon or something. :D

[quote name='greenego' timestamp='1354056948' post='851589']
Not sure being obsessed with Sigs fits the definition of a cult

"The word [b]cult[/b] in current popular usage usually refers to a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_religious_movement"]new religious movement[/url] or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult#cite_note-1"][1][/url][/sup] ".

Maybe if you get down on all fours and bark at the moon or something. :D
[/quote]

Merriam says (I align with 4 (I think) or most definitely 5a, 5b & 5c):

[b] Definition of [i]CULT[/i][/b]

[b]:[/b] formal religious veneration [b]:[/b] [url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/worship"]worship[/url]

[b]:[/b] a system of religious beliefs and ritual; [i]also[/i][b]:[/b] its body of adherents

[b]:[/b] a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; [i]also[/i][b]:[/b] its body of adherents

[b]:[/b] a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health [i]cult[/i][i]s[/i]>

[i]a[/i][b]:[/b] great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); [i]especially[/i][b]:[/b] such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
[i]b[/i][b]:[/b] the object of such devotion

[i]c[/i][b]:[/b] a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult[/url]