NYPD officer gives barefooted homeless man new boots

NRA

But wait, this can't be true because [u]ALL[/u] officers are bad people. It has to be staged or something. I know what it is, the officer is "planting" the boots on the homeless guy's feet to arrest him for theft.

It doesn't take a lot to change a persons day, month or even their year. And you can find all kinds of needy people right now. Those simple boots could have saved the guys life or at a minimum his feet from frost bite later in the year. $75 isn't a lot and all of us would agree that the money was well spent.

Now is the time to do random things to help your fellow man. My wife and I do it, but not as often as we probably should or have in the past. I really doesn't take a lot to help someone. And it doesn't even take any money to help, we all have old jackets or clothing that can be either donated or given directly to change change lives.

Dolomite
  • Like 3
Did the man have shoes at one time, and what happened to them? Were they worn out, were they lost, were they stolen, were they sold, what? What is going to happen to these new boots?

We have a homeless shelter in our town. They gave the homeless blankets. The homeless sold the blankets, and came back the next day for another blanket. The homeless shelter gave the homeless IDs to determine which person got a blanket, and marked the blankets as donated and not salable. The demand for blankets dried up.

This type of thing happens . . . often. Not always, just . . . often. Very often. Edited by QuietDan
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1354229604' post='852569']
It has to be staged or something.

Dolomite
[/quote]

Funny you should mention that, that is exactly what is all over the Web, being pointed out the homeless man just happens to be sitting right in front of a shoe store. Im of a different opinion. Maybe he was sitting in front of the shoe store without any shoes hoping someone would get him some, and the Officer did.
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1354293828' post='852866']
Did you just hear that big "whooosh" flying over your head?
[/quote]

Thanks for trying to imply that I'm dense, but that didn't answer my question. Edited by DaddyO
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1354296630' post='852882']Leo`s have a bad name and mostly thought of as heartless ,pompous, jerks who dont give a crapp about others..[/quote]

Really? Who thinks that?

I still don't understand what being a cop has to do with him helping a homeless man. How do we know he didn't do it because he's a compassionate human being? Edited by DaddyO
[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1354300206' post='852918']
Really? Who thinks that?

I still don't understand what being a cop has to do with him helping a homeless man. How do we know he didn't do it because he's a compassionate human being?
[/quote]
For the same reason that when someone does something either incredibly stupid or incredibly amazing, the headline will say they are a military veteran; they are trying to make a point.
Just like you are trying to make a point.
  • Like 2
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1354300769' post='852923']
For the same reason that when someone does something either incredibly stupid or incredibly amazing, the headline will say they are a military veteran; they are trying to make a point.
Just like you are trying to make a point.
[/quote]

In case you didn't notice, I'm trying to give him credit for doing it outside his capacity as an LEO. I would call that a humanitarian.
I used to make it a point to give some cash to clearly homeless guys standing at interstate exits in the area, but after finding out a good number of which are just beggers that have a car parked around the corner I stopped. Instead of offering cash I try to offer a meal to the "homeless" I encounter. Most of the time I am denied because they want money either for booze, or because they aren't even homeless - merely acting the part. Edited by nysos
Guest seawolf138
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1354316067' post='853095']
I used to make it a point to give some cash to clearly homeless guys standing at interstate exits in the area, but after finding out a good number of which are just beggers that have a car parked around the corner I stopped. Instead of offering cash I try to offer a meal to the "homeless" I encounter. Most of the time I am denied because they want money either for booze, or because they aren't even homeless - merely acting the part.
[/quote]

I remember a couple years ago seeing a guy at the lovell rd exit walk off to his car parked in that crappy hotel just off westbound. Put his homeless sign in the trunk and drove off in his BMW...never been so angry in my life.
im disappointed that so many focus on the scam and negative aspect of this.
the story came from a woman that saw the event,and sent a nice letter to the pd.Of course this is subject to authentication as always but its not unusual for a nypd guy to actually help someone.NYC changed dramatically after 911.the event seemed to bring emrg responders closer for a variety of reasons but attitudes changed.
what that cop did was no diff then helping someone at the range downrange or in a lot fixing a womans flat.even if it was a staged event the message has decent value.
imagine if some of the gun shop owners carried that ideaology.....the value of doing something nice for someone is priceless,the cost of doing evil is everyones expense...