AK vs. SKS

JoeJ615

im sadly lacking in a good (centerfire) rifle and have decided to invest a little tax refund money on a few guns including a centerfire semi auto rifle and have decided to go with either an SKS or an AK47 variant, i know the AK in general trumps the SKS but im on a budget and would like to have the funds to also buy a thousand rounds or so of ammo, and i know AK's have gone up in price recently where as i have seen an SKS online for $299, and i guess im basically looking for any info on the differences between the 2 besides the obvious capacity difference... are there still decent AK's to be had for around $500 or under? would LOVE to get an AK but cant see paying as much for one as i could get into an AR for .. i've never owned a 7.62x39 platform so any and all advice is greatly appreciated
Having played with both SKS and AK, I lean towrds the AK side. To me, the main difference was the mag release. I can change mags in the AK 10x as fast as I can in the SKS. That being said, I have a buddy who can reload a SKS with stripper clips as fast as I can change mags. In the end I chose the AK, but have not seen one as cheap as I paid for mine in quite some time. Price always dictates purchase and I agree that the SKS can be had for cheaper. They are good rifles too and are very similar in function.
I have a Norinco SKS and I really like it. I have shot the cheapest AK (WASR) and was not all that impressed. What I like about the 7.62x39 round is of course the stopping power within that round. The SKS is just heavy enough so that when shooting, the rifle doesn't knock you around that much.

I have heard that the SKS is possibly a little more accurate than an AK due to the different way the internals are put together. The AK's gas piston and bolt are all one piece, so when that is fired, it creates a lot of movement in the barrel and such. Watch a slomo video on it. The SKS bolt carrier and gas piston are all separated.

Supposedly, both platforms are just as rugged as the other. Drop it in the dirt, mud, water or what have you and it will still fire.

The only drawback that I have encountered in the SKS is in fact the mag capacity, but you can look at it two ways. On one hand, it does limit you to 10 rounds, but it kinda keeps me from just blowing through shots and slow down to take my time shooting. I have tried one aftermarket magazine, and it just fell out. I have seen videos with the TAPCO 20 round mags, and that is tempting to do. You have to sand off some of the stock on the inside to make them fit, but they will work if you do it right. The only thing about the detachable mags is 1) the bolt has to be open to insert the mag and 2) the mag may or may not hold the bolt open on the last shot.

If you buy an SKS, [b]do not buy an Albanian model![/b] The yugo, Russian, and Norincos all work about the same. The yugo models have some extra bling like grenade launcher sights and stuff. I personally like the Russian models the best. I love the cherry colored tiger stripe looking wood that most of the stocks on them have.

That's alot of reading but just my experience/opinions on the SKS.

Here are a few from Wideners:
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001081&dir=700|701|1029
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000439&dir=700|701|1029
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001072&dir=700|701|1029 Edited by Ramjo
Another option is the sks that takes ak mags they are hard to find but i have seen them for $400-$500.
I do not own an AK but i can tell you my SKS is very accurate and reliable i opted for the non detachable 20 round mag and with stripper clips i can load it pretty quick. I am still shaking my head on how much an SKS cost right now. Mine was $89 when purchased about 16 years ago lol.
For a budget 7.62x39 plinker, SKS all the way. It's easy to shoot, little recoil, and fairly accurate. The triggers can be kinda crappy (depending on variant), but there's a cheap fix for that. Russian's are the best variant, but you pay for that. Love my yugo, it's fun to shoot. I'd buy another one if I ran across a deal. Be wary of an SKS that's been "tacti-cooled". High capacity detachable mags can be flaky... some work, some don't.
I have one of each, and both work as they should, and are quite accurate considering their intended purpose. The AK has a better trigger, and more rounds at the ready. The SKS is, in my opinion, a much better built and heavier gun, and more accurate. I would suggest you find one of each you can shoot and choose for yourself. I feel the SKS is the better value of the two. You won't go wrong with either.
Guest cardcutter
The only thing I found wrong with the SKS I had was the short but stock. They were made for short people. I added an after market pistol grip and the proble was solved. They are very accurate and and easy to shoot. I personaly dont care for the detachable SKS mags, but thats just me.
[quote name='cardcutter' timestamp='1355153731' post='857794']
The only thing I found wrong with the SKS I had was the short but stock. They were made for short people. I added an after market pistol grip and the proble was solved. They are very accurate and and easy to shoot. I personaly dont care for the detachable SKS mags, but thats just me.
[/quote]

Have you seen the AK stocks? I believe they were designed for pygmies. There is a rubber buttpad available for them that adds a couple of inches to the LOP.
If you think you might eventually get both, the AK may dissappear first due to current political trends.

The short butt stock of the SKS can be countered with a slip on rubber butt extender.

The Russian SKS versions will likely appreciate more over time. Would like to turn back the clock to when crate fulls from Russia were being pumped into the U.S. (post- USSR dissolution). Crates being jacked open at the Gun Shows and selling for around $100! ... sigh, only bought one. It has 9 notches carved in the stock, circa 1951 Tula Armory.

If only one I would go for the SKS.

Have fun shopping! Edited by Djay3
  • Like 1
I'd recommend purchasing a Saiga in whatever caliber you want (5.45x39,.223, 7.62x39 to .308). They usually start around $375 and go up. It's an undressed AK. You can make back into an AK for around another $150 or leave it in that configuration and spend the extra money on ammunition. Personally, I would purchase one along with the ammo and save up and buy my new parts a bit at a time. Edited by Moped
Guest Kamikaze
I just got a Romanian AK for $399. Swapped out the furniture and added a scope. Came in around 5 bills and I have been very pleased with it. [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/11/y9aquqy4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/11/a3e5y6uz.jpg[/IMG]
[quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1355171193' post='857996']
I'd take an SKS any day over an AK.

[/quote]

And why is this?

[quote name='gregintenn']Have you seen the AK stocks? I believe they were designed for pygmies. There is a rubber buttpad available for them that adds a couple of inches to the LOP[/quote]

Square up to the rifle. I'm 6'3" and the stock isn't too short.

I would get the AK over the SKS. The rifle is smaller, lighter and much easier to reload. Magazines are inexpensive and plentiful, and you can get replacement parts much easier for the AK. Well worth the additional money spent.

Mike Edited by Mike
[quote name='Kamikaze' timestamp='1355210737' post='858293']
I just got a Romanian AK.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/11/a3e5y6uz.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Be careful with the tapco stuff. I have seen many of their products break. Magazines and stocks are the worst about it.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/DrJones2peiceakstock.jpg[/IMG]

Mike Edited by Mike

I just got a Romanian AK for $399. Swapped out the furniture and added a scope. Came in around 5 bills and I have been very pleased with it.

would love to get a deal like that i would deffinately get an AK if i could get a decent setup for around $500, .... if i do end up going the SKS route should i look for the same things as used AK's like canted sights and gas tube, or are there other/additional issues to look for?

The only thing I can think of specific to the SKS is the potential to slam fire.  Cock the rifle and bang the butt on the ground hard several times.  Verify that the hammer won't fall.  Thats fixed relatively easily, but obviously not a safe condition. 

The only thing I can think of specific to the SKS is the potential to slam fire. Cock the rifle and bang the butt on the ground hard several times. Verify that the hammer won't fall. Thats fixed relatively easily, but obviously not a safe condition.

I had my Russian SKS double on its' first range outing, I had failed to do the following ...
Take apart the bolt and clean the firing pin. Step 1 for all SKS to lessen likelihood of slam and burst fire.

"While early Soviet models had spring-loaded firing pins, most variants of the SKS have a free floating firing pin within the bolt. Because of this design, care must be taken during cleaning (especially after long storage) to ensure that the firing pin does not stick in the forward position within the bolt. SKS firing pins that are stuck in the forward position have been known to cause accidental "slamfires" (uncontrolled automatic fire that empties the magazine, starting when the bolt is released). This behavior is less likely with the hard primer military-spec ammo for which the SKS was designed, but as with any rifle users should properly maintain their firearms. For collectors, slamfires are more likely when the bolt still has remnants of cosmoline embedded in it. The firing pin is triangular in cross section, and slamfires can also result if the firing pin is inserted upside down." Edited by Djay3

The SKS is a FINE rifle if you use it as it was meant to be used.  Stripper clips are FAST if you train with them.  I've seen people who can use them right and can put AIMED fire down range just as fast.  The SKS might edge the AK out on accuracy.  Both suffer not from design but piss poor ammo.  If you do go with the SKS, stay away from pimping it out.  Nothing looks or performs any sadder than someone who starts a Cheaper than Dirt wish list for their SKS.  Tapco=Crapco.  Detachable magazines on a Siminov is a joke.  Even when they work, they don't work well so if you don't want to put forth the effort to train with 10 round stripper clips, save the pain and aggravation and just get an AK.  They work right.  

• Like 2
My vote is for the ak I do lots of training schools and a sks would make it through any of them but it would be such a pain. Get a ak no one had any problems on the 500 yd range with the ak 47/74. Me personally even though I have a safe literally full of ak rifles your best bet is to find a Waffen werks ak74 there usually 699 and I've got about 15 1080 rd cases through mine from all the training schools i go to with no problems. Other than it being ugly and beat up. But if u don't want a 74 get a akm or ak104 clone.