High Speed Internet Options (Pricing Games)

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I've been paying Charter $29.99 for 15Mbps internet for 6 months. Of course, it was a 6 month promotion when I signed up. Thus, this billing statement they are trying to charge me $18 more a month. I called and canceled, and I have service until January 6th. During the call of course, she kept trying to push bundling things. The "cheapest" bundle was $94 a month. I said no. 

I am since looking at other internet options, and it seems ATT is about the only comparability priced competitor in the same speed. But that is, I believe, over fiber optic lines so Motorola cable modem will not work (I purchased it myself). They also have a $99 installation fee. They are currently offering a $100 "card" to offset the price of their modem/router combination. So I'd be looking at roughly $33 a month for a year plus $100 initial fee (which could possibly be waved if I push). $100/12=$8.33 a month. So really that would be closer to $41 a month for a year. For $49 a month through charter, I can get the 30Mbps. 

I suppose that the honest fair market value of 15-30Mbps cable internet is roughly $45-$50 a month. If I had been paying that for the previous 6 months I would have just accepted it. However, through their "6 month promotion" pricing, it is very easy to get used to paying that $29.99 a month and then feel gouged when they "adjust" their pricing. 

I like internet, I use it for everything. I am just tired of these pricing games that we have to play with providers. I would happily pay $29.99 a month for as long as society stays the way it currently is, but the providers would rather push and pull in order to get more money. Statistically speaking, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people "upgrade" to one of the bundled packages at this point. That is what Charter is counting on. But in truth all I want is internet.

So right now I guess I have half a month to think. I'd love to stick with Charter because they are a good service, I am just unhappy with their business. I wish the quasi-monopoly that cable companies have didn't exist. That would be so much better for us, the consumer.

I keep figuring or hoping that perhaps in the next month Charter will have another promotion, but I would probably have to be a "new" customer to take advantage of it. 

Anyone have any relevant stories or advice to get the best bang for my buck?

I am considering 15Mbps the minimum speed I'd be interested in.

I had a similar time with comcast. I had/have the blast internet. It was$50.  I rec'd a letter saying I had been undercharged and effective the next month it would be $70. I called and for $60 kept that internet and got cable. It would have been the same price without the cable, so i took it.  It's not the cheapest deal, but I really like the internet they provide.  Most of my time was spent telling them I didn't want cable or home phone.  Finally we made a deal (and they won I guess since I now have cable) and settled on the $10 increase.  I looked into the other service providers and was unable to make up my mind.  If you end up with a good deal, let me know so I can check it out. I don't have any contract or anything. My price will not go up.

• Moderators

It's not the cheapest deal, but I really like the internet they provide.

I am afraid that this is probably the same thing I will end up with.

Most of my time was spent telling them I didn't want cable or home phone.

True here. I chatted about 30 minutes hoping that they could cut a deal of some sort, but they didn't seem at all flexible. Either they are calling my bluff or they really cannot do anything. Perhaps my best thing to do is let it expire and then try to signup again a bit later?

I love the EPB fiber here in chatt, but it is a little more than you've been paying. Of course you get more for the $$ too, it's 50mbps up/down. I don't know if/when it is/ will be available in Cleveland.

https://epbfi.com/

The on demand tv selection seems less than comcast, but the Internet blows Comcast out of the water.

And maybe you've already checked and it's not available, hehe.
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I have been considering my options of switching to another service, but I always end up with Comcast as my final option. ATT Uverse vs. Satellite vs. 4G Wireless Internet. I do alot of multiplayer video gaming, so the huge ping/latency/limited amount of data and equipment cost and service cost,  that Satellite has was an instant No.  4G Wireless is just as bad as Satellite, very little amount of data for alot of money. ATT Uverse would have been a little slower and cost about as much as Comcast. So basically, I'm pretty much stuck with Comcast. 

• Moderators

I love the EPB fiber here in chatt, but it is a little more than you've been paying. Of course you get more for the $$ too, it's 50mbps up/down. I don't know if/when it is/ will be available in Cleveland.

EPB is only available in the SW of Bradley County. Sad but true.

We got ATT during one of the Uverse promo periods. We got 18mps service for $15, we have had that price for a while. Everytime the contract expires I call and they extend it another year. We had an issue 2mo ago and they gave us $200 credit so it looks like the net is free for the next year. I don't like the modem we got, the range is horrible, but for that price I deal with it.

• Moderators

We got ATT during one of the Uverse promo periods. We got 18mps service for $15, we have had that price for a while. Everytime the contract expires I call and they extend it another year. We had an issue 2mo ago and they gave us $200 credit so it looks like the net is free for the next year. I don't like the modem we got, the range is horrible, but for that price I deal with it.

I am considering ATT, and at that price I would definitely try it. You could always plug another wireless router into your modem/router combo and use it for WiFi, if that sort of thing floats your boat. I am looking at ATT's options right now, they have something interesting that combines a cell phone and home internet. Depending on pricing, that may be a viable option.

• Moderators

Turns out you can only bundle wireless phones with ATT's "traditional (DSL?)" internet. It is nowhere near as fast as their Uverse. I believe 18Mbps for Uverse would be roughly $41 a month plus a $99 installation fee. That makes the total 12 month cost to $591, and Charters 30Mbps $599.88. I guess it is quite clear. If I want high speed internet, I pay Charter $49.99 a month. 

It is sad that there isn't more competition in this market, it is possibly even worse than the wireless market.

• Moderators

Something I was not aware of but just discovered is that if you pay Charter for internet, you also get EpixHD online movies. I am currently paying Netflix ~$8 a month and Hulu ~$7 a month. I am sure that EpixHD is not a perfect replacement, but will probably be a pretty good alternative. For $20 a month more expensive internet, I can cut Hulu and Netflix and then use EpixHD. Sure, I'll pay $5 more a month, but I will generally be ok I suppose. We can at least give it a try.

• Admin Team

I just recently bundled internet/phone/tv with AT&T Uverse.  We've been pleased with the service/speed.  Paying about $100/month less than we were paying for everything separate from multiple carriers.

I will say that everything else aside, the UVerse equipment is at least a couple of generations ahead of what we had with Comcast.

Dang , I'm paying about $140 a month for Digital basic TV and 12MG down / 2 up internet. What kills me is they charge me extra for HD boxes (3) and the FCC says stations can only broadcast in HD. So all they have is an HD signal but if I want to view it I need to pay for an HD box as a posed to their free non HD boxes , RIP OFF !  :wall:

Guest uofmeet

If you keep calling comcast and bugging/bitching at them, you can get a lower price. I was paying 29.99/mo for a good long while. with internet only. Just keep calling and get another promotion when one runs out.

the comcast cable/internet combo are the most practical options for normal households.    with at least 2 tvs and 2 computers.

we have 4 tvs and 4 pcs .   ive looked at other options but kept coming back to comcast. it works for what we want and is from a huge company with decent support.

Guest brighac

I had ATT DSL and the service was great for a year, and then it was about 3 mbps and they said they were going to charge me to have someone come out, so I cancelled the service and got charter for 29.99 for 30 mbps for a year. and then its 9 more a month the next year.  I have been very happy with the service through charger, they dont offer uverse for me yet.  I have no idea why because I live in the city.  but anyway, I have a att modem/wifi built in that I paid for that is just over a year old.  no connection issues. I have the AC adapter and phone cord it came with if you want it, so you dont have to buy it if you chose to go with ATT.  The model number is 2701HG-B. Just send me a message on here if you are interested...

I hate AT&T and ther practices. I dropped then cell and/phone and internet. I'm on direct but can't get a bundle becauyse I have been a customer before they merged. Tommorow I'm getting hooked up with Comcast/Xfinity. I got in at $99.00 for all three services ( Phone/Cable and Internet 30MBS to include HBO and Starz, DVR and On Demand. This is for HD and three rooms.

I recently became a Comcast customer.  The way to do Comcast is to locate a Comcast direct salesman.  I happened to have a friend who works in direct sales and he got me hooked up nice.  I really just wanted internet but wound up with internet 30 Mbps,) 200 channels, and a home phone for $79.99 a month, not a promo price that is the permanent price.  You save about half going through a direct sales person.  Another benefit of direct sales is that if I have a problem be it billing, service, anything I call my direct sales person not an 800 number of someone in India.  I did have to place a call to him when the install guy came out and tried to charge me more than I was quoted, the problem was fixed on the spot.  I've heard many bad things about Comcast but I really like it so far, and I really like that I have a representative that I can call anytime that will take care of my problems if I have them.  If anyone in the Knoxville area is interested I would be glad to pass along contact info.2368993863.png

Wow Sam, you are smoking it!  I feel that my connection is pretty fast but I'm thinking you can see the future on yours!

Edited by 10-Ring

If your area is in the footprint clear wireless,unlimited 4g internet for 50.00 per month,add a roku2 box for 70.00,one time purchase, 8 bucks a mo for netflix

Stay away from ATT,its only a matter of time and theyll get ya,HARD i might add,uverse is junk,the boxes suck,and you cant go back from uverse to dsl,your screwed.comcast is good,just more $$ on a contract........

i pay 59.00 per mo,no contracts,plenty o movies,and free dig tv.

if you travel,u can take roku and the clear box with you anywhere theres 4g clear service

• Like 1
Guest seawolf138

If you keep calling comcast and bugging/bitching at them, you can get a lower price. I was paying 29.99/mo for a good long while. with internet only. Just keep calling and get another promotion when one runs out.

This, it's kind of surprising how quickly the bend. They called last year when they noticed they hadn't been charging for one of our DVR boxes (extra $15 or something, I don't remember), after 20 minutes on the phone, my bill didn't change, my internet speed went up, and one of the two boxes that they haven't been charging me for showed up on the bill.

• Moderators

Ended up "upgrading" to the 30Mbps service last night. I figured that if I am paying $47 this month for "regular" pricing, I may as well pay $2 more to get the faster service.

2370380204.png

Not as fast as some, but faster than 83% of the US and I am paying $49.99 for it.

I recently became a Comcast customer.  The way to do Comcast is to locate a Comcast direct salesman.  I happened to have a friend who works in direct sales and he got me hooked up nice.  I really just wanted internet but wound up with internet 30 Mbps,) 200 channels, and a home phone for $79.99 a month, not a promo price that is the permanent price.  You save about half going through a direct sales person.  Another benefit of direct sales is that if I have a problem be it billing, service, anything I call my direct sales person not an 800 number of someone in India.  I did have to place a call to him when the install guy came out and tried to charge me more than I was quoted, the problem was fixed on the spot.  I've heard many bad things about Comcast but I really like it so far, and I really like that I have a representative that I can call anytime that will take care of my problems if I have them.  If anyone in the Knoxville area is interested I would be glad to pass along contact info.2368993863.png

Wow Sam, you are smoking it!  I feel that my connection is pretty fast but I'm thinking you can see the future on yours!

That's what my wife does, & we just moved from there. If you can't track your guy down just let me know and she can get in touch with any of them in Knoxville. - They can also cut you a better deal than the call center or anything else that's advertised.