How many magazines is enough?

Guest carter

Guest RevScottie

Why all the panic buying of magazines? I've seen no legislation suggesting that 10 round mags will be banned. If your afraid you'll damage a hi cap mag put a couple back and use 10 rounders at the range. Sucks that any capacity might be banned but I don't understand people hoarding up 10 round Glock mags?

Why all the panic buying of magazines? I've seen no legislation suggesting that 10 round mags will be banned. If your afraid you'll damage a hi cap mag put a couple back and use 10 rounders at the range. Sucks that any capacity might be banned but I don't understand people hoarding up 10 round Glock mags?

I don't see much fighting over 10 round glock mags. I'm buying 30 rd AR mags. I'm not even really concerned with hi cap G19 mags. I have a few, and don't need too many for that.

But to the same point, why is pistol ammo being hoarded again? Or ANY ammo for that matter, I've seen no legislation or even talk of limiting ammo.

You can backorder through brownells and they wont charge til they ship (if they ship)

You guys can all laugh at me when the mag ban goes through if it does but im fine with 3 per rifle at the moment and selling the rest.  The 3 per rifle is really more for convenience than anything else...i mean worst case I have a full auto SMG if Zombies pop up.

i don't know why everyone is getting into the mag craziness, but I stock 3 per pistol and 5 per rifle except bolt actions that get three.  With that said, i pre-ordered 10 gen 3 pmags in hopes that I will get another rifle soon (LMT LM8MRP) if kieslers would get it in stock.

Guest RevScottie

I don't see much fighting over 10 round glock mags. I'm buying 30 rd AR mags. I'm not even really concerned with hi cap G19 mags. I have a few, and don't need too many for that.

But to the same point, why is pistol ammo being hoarded again? Or ANY ammo for that matter, I've seen no legislation or even talk of limiting ammo.

There are two Glock 17 10 round magazines on eBay currently with 5 bids and its up to $80 for the pair!

That's about what I keep. Some will say you can't have too many magazines but, today I just traded my G-26 for a G-19 and now have 5 extra G-26 ten round mags that I can't use. The FFL did not have even ONE spare mag I could purchase. BTW. The G-19 was $50.00 higher than two weeks ago... Go figure?

Myself, I will use two magazines that I can drop on the ground for IDPA matches, practice, 3 gun, etc. Two for strictly dependable carry magazines and two spares for just in case. I do about the same with the gun springs.

If they're hard to get or going to get hard to get, then, you can't have too many.

Guest RevScottie

That's about what I keep. Some will say you can't have too many magazines but, today I just traded my G-26 for a G-19 and now have 5 extra G-26 ten round mags that I can't use. The FFL did not have even ONE spare mag I could purchase. BTW. The G-19 was $50.00 higher than two weeks ago... Go figure?

Myself, I will use two magazines that I can drop on the ground for IDPA matches, practice, 3 gun, etc. Two for strictly dependable carry magazines and two spares for just in case. I do about the same with the gun springs.

If they're hard to get or going to get hard to get, then, you can't have too many.

A local Glock dealer told me Glock raised their prices late last week.

That's about what I keep. Some will say you can't have too many magazines but, today I just traded my G-26 for a G-19 and now have 5 extra G-26 ten round mags that I can't use. .

I have use for your extra G26 mags, should you happen to want to sell them..... :usa:

Guest xnavysailor

When I consider how many magazines I should have on hand, in general, I am not considering how many I will carry.  I am thinking long term and viewing magazines as consumable items.  Springs wear out.  Housings break, get dented, etc.  While you can replace springs and followers, if a housing is destroyed you are now down one mag.  And if the parasites in power have their way, that is one mag you won't be able to replace.

My statement stands.  Buy as many as you can afford until you feel like you've acquired enough to last you for a long while.

Carry as many as is practical.

I have lived by that rule for years. Back in the 90's I bought FNFAL mags for a $1.00 apiece, In the 20's bought HK91 mags for a $1.00 as well. If I ever decide I have too many,not likely, I know I can make money,trade or help a friend.

Guest bulluck533

A local Glock dealer told me Glock raised their prices late last week.

They didn't. Most people are just raising their prices because they can but I know a couple dealers personally and they say that GLock hasnt/

16 for the AR and between 1-4 for the rest. It seems like I've got AR mags to spare but with two more builds on the way that's only 5 per with one extra. One thing is for sure, I used to balk at the asking price for pistol mags. Not any more, once things have calmed down some I expect to spend at least two weeks pay on mags, followers and springs. Ammo is another thing I thought I was doing well on. I need to triple and in some cases quadruple the amount on hand.

yea i thought the same thing... at the time i was buying them outpost had plenty of mags in stock... so i was buying up the c-product mags they had for 9.99 a piece... and the p-mags where 13 something a piece... and thought...well i can guy more metal mags than plastic ones...and plus they have a ton... then the SHTF... :( i think i'll just wait for stuff to die down... might take a while but no rush... I'm good to go for now...heck i don't even wanna go shoot cause ammo is no where... i seriously need to think about reloading which a co-worker bugs me about all the time...

Edited by carter

I've decided 6 mags for any carry gun. Carry 1 in the gun and 2 on the belt. That gives me a 2nd batch to rotate out with every 3 months or so. I'm a big glock fan so 6 G19 mags plus 6 mags for the G26 and that gives me 12 useable mags in the G26 if SHTF.

• Like 1

I shouldn't even get into this, because I'm the definition of overkill. I have 108 personal 30 round Colt AR mags, all loaded in ammo cans for "go" ammo, all with various types of ammo for certain situations. Thats not including pistol mags, or other gun mags.

But then again.... I have more AR's then I can carry, and I feel like you can never have to many guns :) 

A range bag for just one of my 17's. I can't stand reloading mags while I'm actually at the range. :rock:

2013-01-26_14-53-10_893.jpg?t=1359230039

Edited by Mike P