Obama speech

The EO list seems to be mostly harmless.   I am thinking these are not the problem.  The fight will be elsewhere, and its coming, but this isnt it (?).

I hate to break it to you kids but reagan is almost single handedly responsible for the mess in CA, esp the gun laws.  He was another "you can have a bolt action rifle" type.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 2

Unless they do national gun registration or even gun registration at a state level I don't see how this could be enforced. 

It depends on the will of the people. Even if his new director tries it, and makes us all criminals in the process, the ATF

will be relegated to the ash heap of history in short order. It would be a tipping point to many. Nah, won't be enforceable.

"....background checks on private sellers."

This will lead to registration. Maybe the most worrisome point for me.

Otherwise mostly fluff.

Yes. Without registration the background check would be on the honor system.

Guest brianhaas

Hey guys, I'll be writing a story about Obama's proposals and would be interested in speaking to one or two of you guys about both the executive orders and the proposed AWB and high-capacity magazine ban.

If you're interested, email me at bhaas@tennessean.com or call me at my office number, which is 615-726-8968. If you are interested, I'd need your full name and the city you reside in.

This would include folks who are in favor of what Obama is proposing (I'm doubtful there'd be many on here) and those who are against.

Thanks!

Guest bkelm18
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="886785" timestamp="1358358036"]I was scrambling to make a doctor appointment for my daughter during the speech, so I only saw the bullet points on the news website. Am I understanding correctly that he did NOT put in place another AWB or ban high-capacity magazines?[/quote] Correct. Not yet at least.

This makes me wonder what's coming down the pipe as there's really no reason to remind FFLs on how to run background checks.  The key words here being "for private sellers".

No good can come that.  He's not going to nominate someone who agrees with the rest of us

He said he was nominating Todd Jones, who is currently the acting director and was director of the BATFE during Clinton's 2nd term

He made it up, like the 900 people that have died in the past month since sandy hook.

Yes, I note that and wondered where the number came from? FBI crime stats? What were the circumstances? Robbery? Driveby Shootings? More school massacres? Or was this just another "estimate"?

I made several notes during the "speech" and was pretty shocked by the loose way he handled it all. All very general. No specifics on anything that I could tell.

On the Universal B/C. I didn't realize a mojority of Americans were in fovor of it. And that 70% of the NRA favored it as well?

And on another note. Did you see the short session on CBS when Bob Sheaffer was editorializing and compared the "Gun Lobby" to the Nazi Party?

Way to go Bob.

Good point David about the Private Sellers comment.  He said 40% of guns were sold this way...If you have no way to track private gun sales, HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NUMBER?

Highly trained government psysics. Same sources he's used before.

• Administrator

He can't force a private buyer and seller of a weapon to go to some FFL and get a background check, well unless you

fall for it.

Sure they can.  They can make private firearm sales illegal and then simply wait for you to get caught.  People do illegal shit all the time now and the government is none the wiser because they don't get caught.  But once you get caught, you face the consequences.

Don't fool yourself and think that they wouldn't conduct stings to make sure that folks are playing by the new rules.  They do it all the time with narcotics busts.  Hell, the BATF has recently made the local news when they busted the doofus in Chattanooga who was SO stupid and SO brazen that he literally went out of his way to cross every successive line in the sand that the agents gave for him.  He had a dozen opportunities to take an exit and likely avoid anything more serious than a slap on the wrist, and finally made it bad enough that they absolutely had to arrest him.

People aren't the brightest of animals sometimes, and criminals are typically just flat stupid.  Especially petty criminals.

If they make it such that private sales are verboten, it won't take long for a bunch of bubbas to prove me right and give the government a chance to make examples of some folks.  All it will take is a few front page stories about someone getting sent away for a 10 year stint for everyone else to get the idea that they aren't playing around.

So, yeah... it's absolutely a do-able scenario.  Our job is to prevent that kind of legislation from ever passing.

• Like 6

This makes me wonder what's coming down the pipe as there's really no reason to remind FFLs on how to run background checks.  The key words here being "for private sellers".

No good can come that.  He's not going to nominate someone who agrees with the rest of us

He nominated the guy that's already doing the job.

Sure they can.  They can make private firearm sales illegal and then simply wait for you to get caught.  People do illegal shit all the time now and the government is none the wiser because they don't get caught.  But once you get caught, you face the consequences.

Don't fool yourself and think that they wouldn't conduct stings to make sure that folks are playing by the new rules.  They do it all the time with narcotics busts.  Hell, the BATF has recently made the local news when they busted the doofus in Chattanooga who was SO stupid and SO brazen that he literally went out of his way to cross every successive line in the sand that the agents gave for him.  He had a dozen opportunities to take an exit and likely avoid anything more serious than a slap on the wrist, and finally made it bad enough that they absolutely had to arrest him.

People aren't the brightest of animals sometimes, and criminals are typically just flat stupid.  Especially petty criminals.

If they make it such that private sales are verboten, it won't take long for a bunch of bubbas to prove me right and give the government a chance to make examples of some folks.  All it will take is a few front page stories about someone getting sent away for a 10 year stint for everyone else to get the idea that they aren't playing around.

So, yeah... it's absolutely a do-able scenario.  Our job is to prevent that kind of legislation from ever passing.

To be fair, the sting on the moron here in Chatttown was because he is the fool that sold the guns to a thug who killed a LEO a year or so ago. 

If not for that,  I think he would still be under the radar --- hard to say, the guy seemed like a moron across the board --- but there are probably plenty of folks that sell a fair number of "personal" guns.  More of em now that they can make a buck of ARs.