Nashville Rally... Would you carry like this?

jgradyc

I didn't find out about the rally at Legislative Plaza until after it was over, so I went online to the Tennessean today to read about it. The first thing that caught my eye was the carry method of the guy in the photo. I was shocked to see that anyone would carry this way.

Apparently, he's a war vet and a nice guy, but would you carry a Glock IWB like this without a holster? http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130119/NEWS01/301190088/500-gun-supporters-protest-in-Nashville-decry-restrictions

I would never carry that way.  There's nothing to hold the weapon in place. It could fall out when bending over. Especially if carried this high. There's no cover over the trigger to keep it from snagging on clothing as it is put into place. This is especially dangerous with a light trigger, like a Glock.  There's nothing to hold the weapon at a proper cant. Your thoughts?

Edited by jgradyc
Guest tommy62

They must not issue common sense to war vets and nice guys. If you are going to carry, at least invest in a good holster with proper retention. The last thing we need at an event like this is a ND. It also makes you look like a thug with a gun. JMHO. Thanks for your service and your support of 2A, but please use a little common sense.

Edited by tommy62
  • Administrator

I do want to point out that, as I predicted before, the press dutifully finds someone visibly carrying and makes that picture the one they run with.  Take away the gun in that photo and there's nothing worth sensationalizing.  Just a regular guy dressed in regular clothes holding up a sign at an event.

It's not quite as visually impacting as if he'd been standing there with a carbine slung over his shoulder, but we're still not doing a good job of winning the Public Relations war.

• Like 4

Although it's legal to open carry in TN, provided you have an HCP of course, I would never do so, with or without a holster. The only time I'd open carry would somewhere where it's not going to draw undue attention; i.e. gun show, range, etc.. I'm probably going to catch some flack over this, but... with the anti-gun agenda being pushed out by the main stream media, there's no need to add fuel to their already raging fires. I'm not referring to "fear" of the MSM or their sheeple, I'm referring to respect to those who aren't comfortable around guns.

• Like 2

Nah that guy is just tucked, there's zero straps anywhere on the waist. I would hope that he just didn't have one chambered like that since there's no safety, but I'm sure he doesn't care enough since it was not in a holster in the first place

Edited by Sam1

I personally wouldn't carry like that, but if he doesn't have one in the chamber, Glocks are pretty safe from accidental disharges. 

I have no problems with open carry - it's our right.  And we shouldn't allow others, especially anti-gunners, to infringe on our rights.  I haven't opened carried myself, but if you want to, I applaud you for exercising your rights as a Tennessean and an American.

• Administrator

Nah that guy is just tucked, there's zero straps anywhere on the waist. I would hope that he just didn't have one chambered like that since there's no safety, but I'm sure he doesn't care enough since it was not in a holster in the first place

Unless you put your hands down his pants, there's seriously no way to know.  The VG2 that I posted has the snap-strap but the original Vanguard didn't.  It had the paracord piece that some folks literally tied around their leg.  For deep concealment, it absolutely rocks your ... rocks... off... or something.

But back to the original statement, did you put your hands down his pants?  Because, I might actually go to one of these rallies if folks are doing that.  ;)

• Like 1
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="890712" timestamp="1358705290"]Notice how every other media outlet is reporting 1000 attendees, yet The Tennesseean is reporting only 500.[/quote]I counted about 975-1000. I do crowd counts at church 4 times a week.
  • Like 1

I counted about 975-1000. I do crowd counts at church 4 times a week.

That article was written by a TGO member. He says in the comments that John Harris agreed with his count. The count doesn't bother me so much.

So Brian... WTF is up with the picture??? Not that I have a big problem with that guy. But, why do you guys ALWAYS add agenda, even when the article in iself was pretty OK? I've seen a lot of pictures of that event. Pretty decent looking bunch.

I do want to point out that, as I predicted before, the press dutifully finds someone visibly carrying and makes that picture the one they run with.  Take away the gun in that photo and there's nothing worth sensationalizing.  Just a regular guy dressed in regular clothes holding up a sign at an event.

It's not quite as visually impacting as if he'd been standing there with a carbine slung over his shoulder, but we're still not doing a good job of winning the Public Relations war.

Agreed. I walked through the crowd while there just to see if anyone was open carrying. My group (all concealed) had decided, since we didn't know if we'd be on Fed/State/County building property decided to leave our pieces in the truck. I saw several empty open carry holsters as well. Guys must have had the same idea.
However, I didn't see anyone open carrying. I sure didn't see "the Tennessean's spokemodel" with his Glock while I was there....

But, it was a big crowd...can't expect see everybody.

I realize the fact that TN is an open carry state and if that's your thing, more power to you.

I've always been told, "the guy that open carries is the first man shot when SHTF".

Although, the guy in the Tennessean was probably the only on there open carrying, he was just what the Tennessean was looking for.

In knowing some who have worked for local TV and newspapers, I can say, from what they've told me, that when looking for a (contriversial) picture, they look for the extreme (i.e. the clown, the tear jerker, or one that will just plan p*ss you off).
When looking for an interview (the man on the street), they go with the one who makes the biggest arse of himself.

It's a little prank they like to play, sometimes.

Prove me wrong.

Mom and Dad always told me, "keep your face out of the paper and don't do anything to be on the news"....
I think most people will know what they meant by that.

My :2cents:

I've always been told, "the guy that open carries is the first man shot when SHTF".

I've been told that if people are allowed to carry guns there will be shootings in every Wal-Mart over parking spaces. I've also been told that when people are allowed to carry in restaurants where alcohol is served that it will be the Wild West all over again, with gunslingers battling it out drunk in the streets. Don't believe everything you're told. 

Unless of course there is actual evidence to back this up. ;)

• Like 1

Oh hell, I cant believe someone would do something so stupid, I have no doubt this picture will end up pushing lawmakers into implementing a full on confiscation of all firearms nationwide.....he's not dressed in a suit,he has to many tattoos,he isnt wearing his gun the way I feel he should be,he isnt carrying the gun I think he should be, Im sure his IQ is that of someone whos head has been ran over by a bulldozer. Shame on him for attending and making the rest of us look bad. Lord knows had he not been there the media would have done nothing short of holding second amendment supporters on their shoulders while screaming their love for us in the streets  :shake: .

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sometimes we gun owners are our own worst enemies. We piss and moan and bitch and whine and complain - rightfully so I might add - when someone tries to infringe on our right to carry concealed. But let someone have the nerve to open carry and public, lawfully, and we don't even wait for the gun-grabbers to skewer him. We do it ourselves. God forbid some smelly hippy of a leftist freedom hating hoplophobe gets upset over the sight of a gun! Oh my we couldn't have that, could we?

Yes, this is a war of perception. And the people's perception right now is that only a few extreme whack jobs carry guns in public. And we are part of the reason they think that way. You really need to examine yourself thoroughly and decide whose side you're on. Instead of lambasting those who believe the 2nd Amendment applies even if you wet your pants at the sight of a gun how about laughing at the wet spot at their feet instead? 

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sometimes we gun owners are our own worst enemies. We piss and moan and bitch and whine and complain - rightfully so I might add - when someone tries to infringe on our right to carry concealed. But let someone have the nerve to open carry and public, lawfully, and we don't even wait for the gun-grabbers to skewer him. We do it ourselves. God forbid some smelly hippy of a leftist freedom hating hoplophobe gets upset over the sight of a gun! Oh my we couldn't have that, could we?

Yes, this is a war of perception. And the people's perception right now is that only a few extreme whack jobs carry guns in public. And we are part of the reason they think that way. You really need to examine yourself thoroughly and decide whose side you're on. Instead of lambasting those who believe the 2nd Amendment applies even if you wet your pants at the sight of a gun how about laughing at the wet spot at their feet instead? 

Some of us prefer gentle persuasion to beating someone into submission. Feeding their idiotic perception of us being 'whack jobs' doesn't advance our cause, it sets it back. I'd rather move forward thank you.

• Administrator

Good counter point and definitely thought provoking.  However I maintain that the unfortunate fact is that the opposition will use, at every opportunity, a picture of a person carrying a firearm at a rally like this to divert the public's attention away from the substance of the issue and toward the sensational, "scary" gun.  The media is intent on painting a picture of firearms owners and carry permit holders as armed radicals who aren't like the rest of society. 

Frankly I'm surprised that the only picture the Tennessean could get at this rally was of a normal looking guy legally carrying a common-place, mainstream Glock rather than a guy dressed in camo with an AK-47 slung over his shoulder.  I guess they (The Tennessean) had to make do with what presented itself.  Or maybe they planted the guy.  Hell, I wouldn't put that past the media either to be honest.

My opinion is that the only way we are going to alter perceptions is to do it individually with people we already know where a civil conversation can be had and eyes can be opened in a non-threatening manner.  You and I spot a guy open carrying and we might not think too much of it.  Or we might cautiously keep half an eye on the guy while he's in our immediate vicinity just because we've conditioned ourselves to be vigilant.

But Suzie Homemaker with her 2.5 kids standing in line at McDonalds is going to see that guy who is open carrying in a different light.  She's probably going to be scared by the inanimate object on his hip, pull her kids in a little closer, or -- if she's a belligerent type -- make a fuss about it.  That firearm on the guy's hip likely won't persuade her of anything but will somehow, illogically, reaffirm her believe that guns are scary and people who carry guns are scary, and that he, you and I shouldn't be allowed to carry them around her and her 2.5 kids.

Then she'll run home, blog about it, Facebook about it, and post a dozen angry things on The Tennessean's comment sections about it because she didn't like it.  Think I'm blowing this out of proportion?  Have you read comments in those places?  It's enough to make you wonder how some people rationalize themselves out of bed in the morning.

Anyway, my firearm is not a political statement.  It's there for my protection and I prefer to keep it that way.  I've got a box of crayons and some poster board if I want to make a political statement at a rally.

• Like 2

Some of us prefer gentle persuasion to beating someone into submission. Feeding their idiotic perception of us being 'whack jobs' doesn't advance our cause, it sets it back. I'd rather move forward thank you.

For the record I don't open carry. If anyone changes my mind about that it will be the folks here who think that simply carrying a gun in public is anywhere near the same thing as "beating someone into submission." I'm not sure how open carrying is moving backward though. If I lived in a state where people didn't need therapy at the very site of a law-abiding citizen lawfully carrying a gun I would consider that a huge leap forward. 

Good counter point and definitely thought provoking.  However I maintain that the unfortunate fact is that the opposition will use, at every opportunity, a picture of a person carrying a firearm at a rally like this to divert the public's attention away from the substance of the issue and toward the sensational, "scary" gun.  The media is intent on painting a picture of firearms owners and carry permit holders as armed radicals who aren't like the rest of society. 

Frankly I'm surprised that the only picture the Tennessean could get at this rally was of a normal looking guy legally carrying a common-place, mainstream Glock rather than a guy dressed in camo with an AK-47 slung over his shoulder.  I guess they (The Tennessean) had to make do with what presented itself.  Or maybe they planted the guy.  Hell, I wouldn't put that past the media either to be honest.

My opinion is that the only way we are going to alter perceptions is to do it individually with people we already know where a civil conversation can be had and eyes can be opened in a non-threatening manner.  You and I spot a guy open carrying and we might not think too much of it.  Or we might cautiously keep half an eye on the guy while he's in our immediate vicinity just because we've conditioned ourselves to be vigilant.

But Suzie Homemaker with her 2.5 kids standing in line at McDonalds is going to see that guy who is open carrying in a different light.  She's probably going to be scared by the inanimate object on his hip, pull her kids in a little closer, or -- if she's a belligerent type -- make a fuss about it.  That firearm on the guy's hip likely won't persuade her of anything but will somehow, illogically, reaffirm her believe that guns are scary and people who carry guns are scary, and that he, you and I shouldn't be allowed to carry them around her and her 2.5 kids.

Then she'll run home, blog about it, Facebook about it, and post a dozen angry things on The Tennessean's comment sections about it because she didn't like it.  Think I'm blowing this out of proportion?  Have you read comments in those places?  It's enough to make you wonder how some people rationalize themselves out of bed in the morning.

Anyway, my firearm is not a political statement.  It's there for my protection and I prefer to keep it that way.  I've got a box of crayons and some poster board if I want to make a political statement at a rally.

David, your arguments against open carrying are always well thought out and rational. Frankly I find it hard difficult to argue against anything you say. And as I said above, I don't open carry. I just think that if someone does open carry we need to realize two things: First, we probably aren't going to change their mind. And second, they are NOT part of the problem. The problem is those people like Suzie Homemaker. If you're friends with her you need to change her mind. And if you're not, you're probably wasting your time trying. 

For the record I don't open carry. If anyone changes my mind about that it will be the folks here who think that simply carrying a gun in public is anywhere near the same thing as "beating someone into submission." I'm not sure how open carrying is moving backward though. If I lived in a state where people didn't need therapy at the very site of a law-abiding citizen lawfully carrying a gun I would consider that a huge leap forward. 

David, your arguments against open carrying are always well thought out and rational. Frankly I find it hard difficult to argue against anything you say. And as I said above, I don't open carry. I just think that if someone does open carry we need to realize two things: First, we probably aren't going to change their mind. And second, they are NOT part of the problem. The problem is those people like Suzie Homemaker. If you're friends with her you need to change her mind. And if you're not, you're probably wasting your time trying. 

It really depends WHERE you open carry. The point is that IF you scare Suzie Homemaker and cause her to act, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

TGO David said:

I guess they (The Tennessean) had to make do with what presented itself.  Or maybe they planted the guy.  Hell, I wouldn't put that past the media either to be honest.

Has anyone noticed that the guy looks like he was dressed to carry concealed. I think he may have pulled the tshirt over the gun just for the photo. Perhaps someone wanting his 15 minutes of fame complying with the photog's request or, as David suggested, they brought their own guy. I'm guessing they expected to find the "guy dressed in camo with an AK-47 slung over his shoulder" and had to set this up when they couldn't find the poster child they were looking for.