Gas Cans. *Rant*

MattCary

Could I super pretty F#$%ing please buy a Gas Can?

Not a lowest common denominator "this is a safe gas can" gas can.

A gas can.

A can. With a lid. That just works. That I don't have to cut all the stupid "There are idiots in the world and we have to make this can safe for them" *Features* off of before it will work like a 1950s tin gas can?

Thank you.

P.S. $4.59/gallon for Kerosene? Are you F#$%ing kidding me?

• Like 1

Did somebody get a new gas can today ?

LOL. How'd you guess?

Two Kerosene cans from Lowes. But I've had this little rant in my head every time I've bought a new gas can for the last year or so, since they passed that new law about "safe gas cans."

Ever put gas in something on a hot day when the can has expanded from the heat?

Make sure you vent it in the upright position before you turn it over and press the valve against anything.

It's just like taking a gas shower.

Man I really love them.

Man I hate those things, spill more gas than you get into the tank.  I could fill up without spilling a drop with the old cans but these things are a mess.  A friend of mine calls them Obama cans, though I don't know if he had anything to do with them or not but since they don't work it seems fitting.  I see the OP is in Knoxville, check out Salvage Building Materials in Clinton, they had a few cheap good metal cans last time I was in there.  

• Like 1
Every time I fill the mower. Every time. This is like the "environmental" low-flow toilets that you have to flush 5 times, which wastes twice as much water. I swear, environmentalists are some of the dumbest people on the planet.
  • Like 3

I saw a metal 5 gallon gas can in an antique store yesterday, didn't note the price.

I don't mind plastic, as I store the cans in a shed outdoors and rust is an issue.  I just wish we could get better spouts and vents.  Being of sound mind and normal dexterity, I can handle a long flexible spout and a separate manual vent.

back in the 70's i lived overseas.  we kept a tow liter plastic gas can in the trunk of the car.  all cars had a place for the plastic can and all cars had one.  it was against the law to run out of gas.  if you did and did not have your gas can with gas you got a ticket.  i came back to the states with several of the plastic can.  they have been the best.  better than anything you can get here.  heavy plastic, heavy removal nozzel, no mess when filling up or putting gas in.

• Administrator

Every time I fill the mower. Every time. This is like the "environmental" low-flow toilets that you have to flush 5 times, which wastes twice as much water. I swear, environmentalists are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

I took a 1/16" drill bit and punched a hole in my plastic Eco-Nazi gas can on top opposite the nozzle.  Problem solved.  Now when I fill my mower the rushing sound of gasoline leaving the can sounds like the applause of a million bald eagles instead of the slow glug of Shave the Whales hippies.

• Like 3

I hate my gas can. I bought it from sears on a whim when i bought my mower and the moron who designed it didn't put a vent on the back. They made the nozzle "extra wide" so the air can back flow. Yea, that's not what happens at all, it glugs like crazy. I soak half my mower every time i try to fill it. I curse it every time i use it but wind up forgetting for another week. Then the grass gets long and i repeat the process of hatred.

I took a 1/16" drill bit and punched a hole in my plastic Eco-Nazi gas can on top opposite the nozzle.  Problem solved.  Now when I fill my mower the rushing sound of gasoline leaving the can sounds like the applause of a million bald eagles instead of the slow glug of Shave the Whales hippies.

you had me at bald eagles, but i lost it at "shave" the whales. bravo!

I have not shopped for gas cans in years.

Do they not sell plastic five gallon containers anymore?  I have a couple of fives, a three and a couple of one gallon plastic containers for gas.  They work great.

I gotta get out more often.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.

2, 5-gallon cans is enough for the lawn work( lasts me a couple weeks). And i won't buy gas here in Lincoln county simply because the prices are 10-20 cents more a gallon than in Hazel Green or Tullahoma.

Since I'm usually out of town most weekends anyways, I fill up when out of town. The only good thing about the winter, is i don't use much gas( no mowing needed).

But my atving( when i can ride) has 2 (flatpacks) of fuel. Have never needed more than one on a ride and these do have a separate venting spigot. www.rotopax.com