The Walking Dead - Season 3.5

Heh, we probably are overthinking it.  Heck, we are probably thinking of things that the writers of the show never thought of.  Still, it is an entertaining mental exercise with no, real consequence.  I guess it is partly because of my English background - I tend to think of stories as 'collaborations' between the writer and the reader (or viewer.)  The writer provides at least the basics of the story - hopefully along with some interesting details - and the reader/viewer reads/watches the story as filtered through the lens of his/her own opinions, feelings, experiences and so on and uses his or her imagination to flesh things out.  That is often actually the most fun part of a good story, to me.

Also, I think if I didn't do that  I'd start to lose interest in the show, much like you (Mike .357) stated is happening in your case.  There are only about three or four shows on television that I am even remotely interested in, right now, so I am trying not to get bored with this one.  I really feel like the 'tension' in the governor storyline was largely played out two or three episodes ago.  If I were writing things, the big showdown would have happened on this past episode and the final two episodes of the season would be about the group reaching some kind of understanding with Woodbury (an understanding that would involve them leaving the prison), wrapping up the loose ends then getting back on the road, ending with a good teaser to set up the beginning of next season.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Amy was bittin in the neck too IIRC.  I would suspect if bitten in a vein you would get sick quicker...but this is all moot.  The Gov is not going to die of a fever.  Come on. 

In the comic he gets eaten I think.  Been a while.  Of course the show has gone way off the comic too, so I don't think it matters what happened in the book.

Amy was bitten in the neck but, in her case, that didn't matter as far as getting sick goes.  She didn't die from infection, etc. - she bled out almost immediately because one or more major blood vessels were severed, just as if her throat had been slit, etc.

I think you are right wrt the Governor not dying of infection.  As I said in a previous post, I think the storyline/character development needs Rick's group to face him as a human.

Edited by JAB

it is just something fun to talk about. for us it might be interesting to think about what might happen is all. i mean if it really crawls on you that bad why even post anything just go to another thread?...

Heh, we probably are overthinking it.  Heck, we are probably thinking of things that the writers of the show never thought of.  ...

JAB is closer to what I meant. I'm a general zombie fan myself, have seen every episode of the WD, and have opined here often...

What I meant was over-thinking minor nuances in the plot that go nowhere, but especially regarding the "science" and physiology of the Zeds themselves, relative time frames of how folks turn, differences between live-to-zed and dead-to-zed, etc.

Point being, once you suspend disbelief enough to accept that a dead body can reanimate and trot around for years with no fuel source and not even decompose, heads operate independently from the rest of the body, etc, it's a bit much to debate perceived inconsistencies with the details.

- OS

• Like 1

Heh, we probably are overthinking it.  Heck, we are probably thinking of things that the writers of the show never thought of. 

Yeah, I don't think the writers of this show are THAT detailed.  I mean they made a point to finish season 1 with Jenner's secret (that he whispered to Rick) and in the end it was a total throw away "everybody is infected" which really has no impact on anything.  It just means you have to shoot the dead before they become undead.  Hardly a big deal given the circumstances.  Lol, they even revealed the secret with Rick just basically saying "I knew we were all infected, Jenner told me."  Frankly the writing on TWD is pretty weak (hence the writers all getting fired after season 1).  Its the subject matter that makes the show popular, not the strength of story. 

The only show that I watch where there are absolutely no throw aways is "Breaking Bad".  Everything on that show means something.  To the point that one character always wears purple clothing--but they never bring it up or point it out--you just have to notice...then in the closing scene of the last episode she is wearing a different color. OMG WTF does that mean?  I don't know...but it will mean something.   For those of you who watch BB, I am talking about Marie.  Around the pool just before Hank takes a #### in the last episode, notice she is wearing yellow. 

Sorry, just had to give props to BB.  Best show on TV. 

Back to TWD!

Edited by atlas3025
  • Like 1

....and in the end it was a total throw away "everybody is infected" which really has no impact on anything....

Actually in "real" life that would be pretty significant, though. Anybody in your group that dropped dead from heart attack or stroke, whatever, if you didn't know it at the time, is suddenly a surprise zed. Hell, would be especially unsafe to sleep with anybody ever again, considering how many people seem to die in their sleep.

Note: this is example of post-suspension of belief valid topic of discussion, not "over thinking". ;) ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Actually in "real" life that would be pretty significant, though. Anybody in your group that dropped dead from heart attack or stroke, whatever, if you didn't know it at the time, is suddenly a surprise zed. Hell, would be especially unsafe to sleep with anybody ever again, considering how many people seem to die in their sleep.

Note: this is example of post-suspension of belief valid topic of discussion, not "over thinking". ;) ;)

- OS

Yeah, IRL that would be a problem, but by the time it was revealed on the show, it was totally a "who give's a shit" kind of moment.

Lol, I got the feeling that the only point to the "everyone infected" bit was so that they could posit the possibility of the baby dying before birth, then killing Lorie from within by reanimating...which, ultimately the baby DID kill Lori...so even that was irrelevant.

Guest nra37922

Heck  we have Cornelius running the country into the ground so we all need to escape somehow, so over thinking a zombie show is a way to mentally relax.

- OS

There are other implications, as well.  For example, if one were thinking, "If we can just survive until these current zombies are all either eradicated or, hopefully (eventually) become so decomposed/dessicated as to no longer be a threat then we can start to rebuild," then the whole 'everyone is infected' thing really throws a monkey wrench into the works.    That is because, unless a cure is found, there can be no end to the zombie outbreak.  All subsequent generations of humans will have the virus and every woman who gets pregnant will be risking a miscarriage turning into a zombie eating its way out.  Friends/loved ones will have to be shot in the head ASAP upon death while anyone and everyone who dies with no one around to take care of that comes back as a zombie (even in a settled/'civilized' society that would be plenty - imagine what it would be like in a post-zombie world.)  IOW, there is no outlasting the zombie plague because as long as people are alive the virus lives.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

As people of gun culture.. we'll never be able to see past those flaws. Also keep in mind that season two really only had 1 eyepopping episode. So far season three (by comparison) is much more action oriented.

I think i'm just bored with the human drama aspect. I want to see more survivors vs zombies.

BoredBoredBored.... where are the Zombie attacks? And what's with the turf battles? They have the whole world to chose from! They could send out a scout party and find a better place, but no. They decide to stay and fight over who gets TO LIVE IN A PRISON???  Off the top of my head, I can think of several better places to live.

An island off the coast. A Carnival cruise ship docked in a beautiful lagoon. Key West. Merritt Island.  

But no, we have to fight some crazy one-eyed guy. 

Somebody let me know when the Zombies become part of the plot again.

BoredBoredBored.... where are the Zombie attacks? And what's with the turf battles? They have the whole world to chose from! They could send out a scout party and find a better place, but no. They decide to stay and fight over who gets TO LIVE IN A PRISON???  Off the top of my head, I can think of several better places to live.

An island off the coast. A Carnival cruise ship docked in a beautiful lagoon. Key West. Merritt Island.  

But no, we have to fight some crazy one-eyed guy. 

Somebody let me know when the Zombies become part of the plot again.

I think the problem with that is being attacked while scouting. Given the distance from the coast, very likely they would lose people on the way. I would guess alot of people tried to escape via the sea, so my guess is the coast is probably crawling with zeds. In the same vein, doubtful you would find a boat.

Also, not like the main characters want to fight over territory. It's the psycho that causing the grief and refusing to live and let live.

The zombies will start attacking when this BS with the "Governor" is over with. They're not gonna let the zombies too far back into the story line while that's playing out, just to keep it simple.
I'm sure as soon as the "Gov" is killed/neutralized/tamed/whatever the zombies will creep back in.
But I'm a little unsure where you go with the story after that. What? They keeping sorting thru zombies until they have a cure for the disease? Or there's another group that comes in to try to kill them off and take over the prison/town (whichever they occupy at the time)? Or everybody lives happily ever after?
Would be nice to see them on the move again because the prison and the town got overrun by a huge hoard of walkers.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES! Just watched both seasons thru over the last 7-10 days. Really good stuff I must say. And I've never been into the fantasy style stuff, but I'm really liking this. In fact, my wife was the one who got me into it. She's just fanatic over it.

Just realized waiting on tonight's episode that Andria is the first "Walking Dead" victim of "gun control" initiated by a tyrant. She had her pistol taken away by orders of the Gov. and now she's in the hot seat. For every action there is an equal and oposite reaction. Hope she makes it though..

Who's gonna die tonight. These next couple of episodes are reportedly shocking and bloody. We'll see. I can live without Andrea. The governor must die. I'm not overly attached to Rick or Michonne or Merle either. They just better leave Daryl and Carl alone. I'll be pissed if Carol gets it too. I would miss Maggie and Glenn but I wouldn't stop watching the show over it. If Daryl dies,I stop watching the show. Period.
I think I'd be ok with Rick getting knocked off, I'm indifferent to him. There's no way as a member of the group that I would follow him. <br />Seeing Merle go wasn't too bad. I thought he'd go out differently. I suppose having Darryl kill the zombie Merle was pretty fitting. <br />Guess I just can't wait for the Governor or Rick to get killed. Don't really care for either of them. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great episode that was tonight. I read an interview with "Rick" and he said next weeks finale will be awsome and the bloodiest episode to date. And the Walking Dead Marathon begins tomorrow with every episode from the beginning for those of you who are late arrivals to this show.

I am super pissed. Merle was my third favorite character behind Daryl first and Shane second. All the people who have what it really takes to survive seem to be getting the screw job by the writers. I am with the caster on if they kill Daryl I am out. Seems like anybody who gets in the way of Rick being the most liked character Robert kirkman offs them since he gets butt hurt every time somebody says they like someone else instead of rick's stupid a$$. I hate Rick.