Best handgun for my inexperienced wife.

Guest Csjones30

Great thread.  I don't get the concern about racking the slide. First, as peejman said, it's mostly technique. Second, why would she need to rack the slide? You can do it for her. It's for home defense only. And as most people here said, if she can't stop it with 10-16 rounds, reloading isn't the solution. If it's a hand-size issue, the Glock grip is a real problem for some people because it is big and it cants the wrist down more than other handguns. The Gen 4's aren't as bad though. I have small hands and I like the Taurus 709 best of all my handguns. Moderately light, but not super light. It has a big almost 1911-sized manual safety that you can easily tell if it is on/off. I don't like tiny manual safeties. It also has a narrow, small grip. I added a section of bicycle tube to the grip for a bit of recoil reduction and because I prefer the feel to the stock grip. The downside is that it is only 7+1 rounds. They are relatively inexpensive... $299 at CDNN and I've heard that they're only $319 in some LGS.

Oh, one other point. Why just get one gun? If a bad guy gets between her and the gun's location, it's not going to help. If she goes to the door without the gun, it won't help. I keep a loaded gun in every room that I spend any time in and one near each doorway so I can pick it up on the way to the door. Of course, we don't have kids.

the slide issue:  at home, as noted, you can have it ready to go and should never have to rack the slide.  

But you were not going to just load up a gun, hang it by the door and leave it at that, were you?!  No, surely you were going to take the lady to the range and have her shoot it at least once a month so she has the confidence, skills, and familarity with the gun to use it if need be.   Part of the confidence bit is being able to load and operate it without a man standing there to do it for you. 

There are ways to rack the slide on even the toughest guns without relying on brute strength.   If you show these to the shooter and have her practice them, it will not be an issue.   She should also be able to load up the magazines, and there are tools for this if it is too hard (some normal capacity guns have stout mags).

I have to use the "women's method" or whatever you call it (as opposed to the slingshot method) on my 44, that thing has the mother of all recoil springs.   As I get older I will probably have to do it on some of the stouter 9s too.  Its a good thing to know, for anyone --- there is nothing sacred about using brute force on everything.

[quote name="Jonnin" post="900035" timestamp="1359555484"]surely you were going to take the lady to the range and have her shoot it at least once a month so she has the confidence, skills, and familarity with the gun to use it if need be.   [/quote] Haha, some of us are lucky to even go on a date once a year, let alone to the range once a month!
The idea of a 22 auto doesn't sit well with me. Sure you can practice a lot with it, but it's a .22 and a rimfire. Rimfire ammo has a history of being unreliable. With a rimfire revolver you have the ability to squeeze the trigger for a second chance.
If I were set on a low recoiling .22 for home defense it would only be a revolver and probably .22 mag. I do believe a 22lr/22mag is a deadly round. The first homicide I ever worked as a police officer was with a .22lr so I do not underestimitate the little critter.
Truthfully I think everyone hear is for the most part is giving bad advice. Your wife really just needs a lot more practice. After that I would take her to look for her own piece and then practice with her new gun.
I am a revolver finatic and I can tell you that my 4" k frame revolvers are such a larger joy than my j frames to shoot. I am really wanting to try a .327 fed mag j frame, it's 6 rounds is supposed to be almost .357 mag performance with .38spl recoil.
I have shot my FiL's Judge a fair amount and I see some fascination with it as far as home protection but it's a dirty gun to shoot. They actually spit powder and shot/wading debris out between the cylinder gap and forcing cone. I wouldn't care about this in a home defense scenario but it doesn't make a pleasant range/practice gun. With the Judge 410 shells still recoil a fare amount, probably more than a .38spl but some very light .45 colt loads can be found disguised as cowboy loads. We have had a few weak primer strikes but that really doesn't worry us too much with a revolver, I think the light DA trigger has caused it.
Overall, I think there is no substitute for adequate training. Even the Judge with shotgun shells does not make up for a lack of training.

I dont think there is a slide that cannot be racked by a woman.. not even one with small hands..That should never be an issue.. Most people rack the slide while the gun itself is stationary.Pulling back a slide is way harder than  pushing then gun itself forward. And thats why woman and men have problems.. The slide needs to be stationary and the gun itself racked forward..Its so much easier.. way easier.Not sure how many people actualy practice that but  once you do it .. you will agree.. ;)))

Pushing the frame rather than pulling the slide is how I have taught ladies and a few men how to work the action. I have run across two ladies who cannnot do it still. After trying for about 15 minutes I came to realize they would definetly not be able to do the task during a hectic situation.
Women that are having difficulty handling a firearm loose a lot of confidence in their ability to shoot one. Some new shooters learn better on revolvers and some learn better on autos. A new shooter needs to attempt both first and master them one at a time.
My mother in law has arthritis and doesn't have the hand strength to hold the slide and push the frame. So, sadly, semi-autos are out for her. We have tried other ways too but doesn't work for her. So, pump shotgun and revolver style are her only options. I could leave her a racked semi but she practices on her own. So, best to use what she practices with.

Haha, some of us are lucky to even go on a date once a year, let alone to the range once a month!

Amen to that.

The idea of a 22 auto doesn't sit well with me. Sure you can practice a lot with it, but it's a .22 and a rimfire. Rimfire ammo has a history of being unreliable. With a rimfire revolver you have the ability to squeeze the trigger for a second chance.
If I were set on a low recoiling .22 for home defense it would only be a revolver and probably .22 mag. I do believe a 22lr/22mag is a deadly round. The first homicide I ever worked as a police officer was with a .22lr so I do not underestimitate the little critter.
Truthfully I think everyone hear is for the most part is giving bad advice. Your wife really just needs a lot more practice. After that I would take her to look for her own piece and then practice with her new gun.
I am a revolver finatic and I can tell you that my 4" k frame revolvers are such a larger joy than my j frames to shoot. I am really wanting to try a .327 fed mag j frame, it's 6 rounds is supposed to be almost .357 mag performance with .38spl recoil.

So we're all wrong and you're right?   Even the people who said the same thing as you?   :squint:

I would say a Taurus Judge that shoots 410 shotgun shells. If she doesn't shoot much this gun would be more forgiving where aim is concerned.

Be sure you understand how the gun patterns at close ranges with your chosen ammo.  Some have very tight patterns and aren't nearly as forgiving as you might think.

Edited by peejman

My wife prefers Glocks. She used my G22 to take the carry class, and it has become her favorite gun (I had to buy her a Glock just so that I could shoot mine when we go to the range). She wasn't crazy about the .40's recoil at first, but got used to it real quick. At this point, she hates shooting my Ruger MKIII because "it feels like a toy."

The instructor at our carry class taught her a technique to pull the slide back. She uses her grip hand to push forward on the gun, while pulling back on the slide with her off hand. Works every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Been absent a good while, but had to respond to this topic:

Been through this with my wife.  Let her shoot everything I had (from .22s - revolver and semi-auto, up to and including .38s and 9mms.  She refused to try my .45).

Hate to dispute anyone here, but she CAN NOT rack a slide on a semi-auto.  Neck surgery and resulting nerve damage has left her with diminished ability to firmly grip a slide, even with the "push the gun forward" technique. Several folks who are a lot better with guns, and a lot better teachers than I am, have tried and failed ...

Agree with those who suggest SHE select the firearm, and TRIES it prior to purchase.

In the wife's case, she picked a S&W 637 .38 for home defence, but routinely (make that "religiously") carries a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP.  That little lever on the side allows her to "pop up" the barrel for loading that first round (and clearing any feeding/firing issues).  She absolutely loves it.  Also added some Crimson Trace grips for her.  Not that she needs them; she's a better shot than I am.  But that little red dot adds immensely to here confidence.  The .38 is just about all she can handle, but she CAN handle it.  And the .32 isn't my first choice of a self-defense round, but it is HER first choice.

And as noted earlier, practice, practice, practice.  (If you like the Tomcat option, a Bobcat in .22 LR will allow her to practice with virtually the same weapon all day with no sore hand or wallet.)

Just my experience.  Hope it helps.

Guest RevScottie

For ladies the problem with racking the slide is often a combination of things. One problem is weak gripping strength in the fingers; you have to use your fingers to hold onto that slide no matter what technique you use. Also a lot of ladies are afraid that the slide will pinch their hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say a Taurus Judge that shoots 410 shotgun shells. If she doesn't shoot much this gun would be more forgiving where aim is concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5GepjBRsM

I gotta disagree. The Judge sucks. It is like the worst aspects of a shotgun and a revolver combined. Get a Glock 19 and some training, and you will be far better off than with the Judge.

I gotta disagree. The Judge sucks. It is like the worst aspects of a shotgun and a revolver combined. Get a Glock 19 and some training, and you will be far better off than with the Judge.

Good advice. I've introduced a few girls to shooting, and they take to a Glock 19 right away. The last one that asked, I just got her a G19 and was done with it.

Good advice. I've introduced a few girls to shooting, and they take to a Glock 19 right away. The last one that asked, I just got her a G19 and was done with it.

While it may not be the be all end all of pistols, Glocks are probably the best semi auto to use when introducing someone to handgun shooting for the first time. Decockers, safeties, DA/SA changing are all things that I see turning off a person who has limited knowledge of firearms, especially women who tend to be raised less mechanically inclined.

Just using the decocker on my Sig was enough to kill my wife's confidence on handling a pistol. With a Glock she just has to worry about muzzle and trigger finger discipline. I think as shooters we sometimes underestimate how stressful it can be for an untrained person to handle a firearm, especially when we are constantly having to chime in to correct improper handling.
  • Like 1

They seem to pick up the gun and hit the target too. I think girls are naturally better shots than guys anyway. Glocks are simple. That fits with the girls I've taught. Not that they aren't capable of learning something more complicated, but why should they have to. "Teach me how to shoot, then let me go back to the girl thing".

Edited by mikegideon

I leave my wife with a G19.  She still has a hard time racking the slide, as she does it the way a girly girl would, so I leave a round chambered.  It is as simple as point and click if she needs to use it.  I figure if she can't solve it in 16 rounds it won't be solved.  I don't see her having to do a combat mag change in a gunfight if she has 16 friggin rounds.  She'll either hit something or make a whole lotta noise.  Either way, you aren't going to find many people who will continue their attack if they are shot or being shot at, just so they can rape or steal. 

I always see a lot of people suggest revolvers for women because there isn't a slide to rack or whatever.  It doesn't pass the common sense test for me.  Their revolver will likely only hold 5 rounds.  If they expend them do you think the average woman is going to handle a speed reload on a .38 while someone is trying to kill them?  Not likely.  Why not just give them a firearm with 3 times the capacity so they don't have to screw around with slides and whatnot.

Oh, and before someone chimes in with something about their ability to clear a malfunction let me add this: I own a Glock.  I've put 2k rounds through it of every type of ammo I can think of.  My HD ammo is the good stuff.  I'm confident enough that she won't have a malfunction with it if she has to use it.  If you are that concerned about your spouse clearing a malfunction on a semi auto pistol, then you own the wrong pistol for home defense.  Get a Glock.

I have to second this opinion.  I too, have a Glock, a G17 on the bed stand all the time if we are home.  I love 'em.  When we leave, it goes into the safe until we get back. (never know when a thief will break down the door while your gone).  My wife is not the best at racking the slide, but can get it done since the slide is larger than some pistols (Walther PPK comes to mind). She does shoot it very well however.   The slide is a non issue at home I feel since she won't have to do this for self defense in our home. It's loaded and ready to at all times.  In an emergency, all you have remember is to aim and pull the trigger just like a revolver, but with 15 or 17 rounds depending on what magazine you have. I can't remember either of my Glocks ever failing.  I always have the mag loaded with Hydro Shocks which have never misfired that I can remember.  A Pump shotgun is hard to handle for her. We've worked at it but she doesn't like it. It's not hard to get her to the range to shoot the 17 either!