Disabled Marine rifles

http://www.examiner.com/article/disabled-marine-rifles-at-inauguration-signal-shift-administration-policy

If this is a repost I apologize. You guys tend to catch articles before I do :)

“The bolts have been removed from the rifles rendering them unable to fire a round,” the post stated. “Apparently Obama’s Secret Service doesn’t trust the USMC. Simply searching each guy to make sure he didn’t have a live round hidden on him wasn’t enough, they had to make sure the guns were inoperable.

Trust works both ways.  If you don't trust ME with firearms, why should I trust YOU!  In fact, usually those who try to disarm me have just proven to me that they are not worthy of my trust in any matter.

Troops on parade are no threat to the POTUS.  They never even get within a hundred yards of him.  And one man trying to load and fire a rifle would be jumped on by everyone else before he could fire a shot, much less take time to aim at a target 100 yards away.

The Secret Service are the only armed folks that take an oath to defend the President.  Military take an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  Perhaps this explains why our leaders are so afraid of armed soldiers.

• Like 3

Getting past the initial indignation because we don't like the POTUS.......this isn't new.  It's been happening for years and goes back through administrations.

I would not read much into this. From what I understand there were some situations where the same was done for George W. I could not imagine how difficult it is to protect the POTUS today regardless of who won the White House.

Yeah, totally normal, yet still don't like it when it's done. Just sends a bad message. Of course, the President has about ZERO to do with the decision to disarm guys or render their firearms innop.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!  The President is head of the Executive Branch of the Federal government and Commander in Chief of the Military.  Explain to me where the Secret Service has authority to over-ride a Presidential directive? 

The sad reality is that I seriously doubt that any recent President ever gave the matter a moment's thought.  Obama, of course, wouldn't know how to tell if a rifle had a bolt or not.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!  The President is head of the Executive Branch of the Federal government and Commander in Chief of the Military.  Explain to me where the Secret Service has authority to over-ride a Presidential directive? 

I never said the Secret Service had the power to override any orders from the President.  I don't see how him being in charge of the military or the executive branch has any bearing on how the Secret Service conducts themselves or develop their SOPs.  I mean, Obama is in charge of the Postal Service too, but he doesn't deliver my Netflix every week.

Point is, the Secret Service are the ones who came up with that policy.  I'm willing to bet that the President wasn't even aware that their bolts were removed at the time.  He may or may not know now, but I doubt it.  He has far more important matters to ignore.

And, ya know, if I was one of those Marines I would probably have the same attitude.  I would probably be like "What the hell?  Doesn't he trust us?"  But if I was in the Secret Service and in charge of that detail, I would absolutely adopt the same policy to disarm those Marines.  However, if I was the President I'd probably be like "What the hell, don't we trust them?"

Besides, they did this same stuff when Bush went downrange and was around troops.  This isn't an Obama thing.  There are plenty of good reasons to think Obama is a crappy President without making up reasons that don't exist.

• Like 1

I remember Presidential visits to Air Bases both here in the Tsates and overseas in my career, and the Secret Service took a similar tact with us...sidearms were allowed around the President, but they would allow long guns  out to a certain point...and all the likely sniper  sites were manned by us and them.

When I was TDY at the pentagon and Clinton came to vist, the hallways along his route were cleared while he was moving.  While I did not understand it, it is the SOP for some strange reason.

The Secret Service establishes those SOPs.  They don't take stuff for granted.  A lot of people want to kill the President, no matter who the President is.  Being in the military does not invite any complacency in the policies of the Secret Service; to them, everyone and everything is a potential threat.  If I had their job, I would feel the same way.

I remember when Al Gore came to town and did this big presentation with the police department where my dad worked.  Of the 20 or so police officers on stage with him, only 4 officers were allowed to remain armed.  My dad was still armed.  I don't recall exactly how they determined who was able to stay that way, but I thought it odd that we could trust the police but the VP could not.