No more Olympic Wrestling.

Will Carry

As a former wrestler, that's a bummer.  Further proof that money is all that matters these days. 

I got to meet and hang out with several Olympic/World Cup wrestlers many years ago.  The power and endurance those guys possess is simply staggering.  I watched a 250 lb Russian wrestler reverse curl 275 lbs.  We were trying to show him power cleans.  Apparently he didn't quite understand as he picked up the bar, reverse curled it, and put it back down.  It appeared effortless for him.  He looked at us with the expression of ...  "Did I do that right?"   We just stared at him and one another, not believing what we'd just seen. 

As a former wrestler, that's a bummer.  Further proof that money is all that matters these days. 

I got to meet and hang out with several Olympic/World Cup wrestlers many years ago.  The power and endurance those guys possess is simply staggering.  I watched a 250 lb Russian wrestler reverse curl 275 lbs.  We were trying to show him power cleans.  Apparently he didn't quite understand as he picked up the bar, reverse curled it, and put it back down.  It appeared effortless for him.  He looked at us with the expression of ...  "Did I do that right?"   We just stared at him and one another, not believing what we'd just seen. 

Holy Crap! That is ridiculous!!

As a former wrestler who still very much loves and follows the sport, I find this decision disgusting. I don't even have the heart to list all the other stupid sports that are staying in favor of one of the original sports in the Olympics and one of the oldest sports known to man. 

This is the most clear sign to date that he world is going to hell in a hand basket. Surely this gets fixed before 2020. 

As a former wrestler I hate to see this.  What sport is more pure than wrestling?  Man against man, no equipment, it's just a man, his muscle, and his brain.  The Olympics are as high as it gets for a wrestler.  I made it to the collegiate level but it is such a huge jump from there to the Olympics.  There is no minor league, there is no major league, it's a sport you will never get paid to do.  It is a sport that the general public cares nothing about.  It seems to be a rapidly growing sport in Tennessee.  Although it seems it has been watered down since I was doing it.  Used to there were not many wrestlers, probably because it was hard.  I see a lot of schools picking up wrestling programs that did not have them before.  Good memories though, I'm thankful for having a high school coach that was a hardass, wrestling played a big part in making me who I am today.  I remember coach telling us at the beginning of the season "You finish this season and it will make a man out of you."  Didn't make a lot of sense then but looking back all these years later it makes a lot of sense.  The sport really taught me responsibility and finishing what you start no matter how hard.

As long as they keep "whatever the heck this is" I'll keep watching.

ssCurgV.jpg

I'm not certain, but I think he she it was in one of those Sid an Marty Krofft trips. 

On another note; You'd have that look too if a foot were up yours!

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1

Holy Crap! That is ridiculous!!

That was probably 25 years ago (I was in high school), but I still remember it vividly.  We got to meet some of the Russian, Turkish, Iranian, and Iraqi wrestlers.  The US (and other western) wrestlers were very strong and had the classic "California beach" body builder look.  The eastern block guys didn't look like much but were strong as bulls and tough as nails.  I sparred a little with one guy my size and it was like trying to move a stump.  And I'm sure he was just playing with me. 

I watched one of the Turkish wrestlers get his shoulder dislocated in a match.  He got up and walked over toward his coach obviously in considerable pain.  The coach grabbed his arm, shoved his shoulder back in, spun him around, and pushed him back out on the mat.   :dropjaw:

As a former wrestler I hate to see this.  What sport is more pure than wrestling?  Man against man, no equipment, it's just a man, his muscle, and his brain.  The Olympics are as high as it gets for a wrestler.  I made it to the collegiate level but it is such a huge jump from there to the Olympics.  There is no minor league, there is no major league, it's a sport you will never get paid to do.  It is a sport that the general public cares nothing about.  It seems to be a rapidly growing sport in Tennessee.  Although it seems it has been watered down since I was doing it.  Used to there were not many wrestlers, probably because it was hard.  I see a lot of schools picking up wrestling programs that did not have them before.  Good memories though, I'm thankful for having a high school coach that was a hardass, wrestling played a big part in making me who I am today.  I remember coach telling us at the beginning of the season "You finish this season and it will make a man out of you."  Didn't make a lot of sense then but looking back all these years later it makes a lot of sense.  The sport really taught me responsibility and finishing what you start no matter how hard.

That's exactly what I liked about it.  While it's a team sport, it's all about individual effort.  You're out there alone and learn a lot about yourself in the process.

Wrestling has always been big in ETN and NGA.  I grew up in Chattanooga and the competition was always tough. 

WTF?

Guest capt usa

What a shame, wrestling is one of the oldest sports (along with track and field) known in olympics. They will keep some crap that no one knows or understands, no wonder I feel like I'm losing all interest in sports. 

Guest ochretoe

Just another case of the media deciding what is important.  No money in it for them so they won't televise it.  the "Experiment", Aleksandr Kerelin, was my hero growing up.  The day he lost in the Olympics was a sad day for me.  He had the flu for 5 days and had puked and crapped 20 lbs away and he was still more of a man than anyone on the mat.  I will miss watching the greatest sport ever.