place to sit, eat, music on a friday night. suggestions please.

vujade

One of my best friends is visiting from California.  I want to take him to some 'Nashville' places during his weekend here.  We're already going to the range up in Clarksville to shoot at 400 yards. (he's hasn't done that before).  Now I'm looking for a place to take him Friday night. 

I don't get out much (for the longest time I was in school and then I'm broke trying to pay off school  =) ). Where is a place where we can lounge with a good burger and listen to some good country music.

I've been googling.  Exit/In is all metal on Friday.  3rd and Lindsey is popular it seems but i you-tubed the band and it wasn't my style.

I'm looking for some good country music that one might hear on the radio (don't flame me: something like Taylor Swift?!  (My wife may be coming))..  12th and Porter's band on Friday sounds good.  (Megan Moreaux)  So that's an option.   Has anyone been there?  Is it standing only or is there a place to sit down/eat while you listen?   (important)

Also, (I ask because I've not been to one of these before and I don't drink/been to a bar) I can't carry to a venue can I?  Are there any gun friendly venues?  (or are they all gunsafe zones since they have a bar)

Thanks,

Edited by vujade

Next time I am in Nashville I am going to be at Tootsies Bar and Grill.

I have only been once but I enjoyed it.    Hopefully in the next month or 2.

However, I feel it is a place one should drink.  So it may not be what you are looking for.

Edited by vontar
Roberts Western World on lower broadway is very popular. As is Tootsies. Both have food and live music. VERY Nashville.

The Bluebird Cafe is another great choice and you don't have to go downtown to get there.

You can carry in a "bar" as long as it isn't posted and you don't drink. I couldn't say which venues are posted and which aren't. Edited by monkeylizard

I was just in Nashville last week and made my visit to broadway. Everyone told us to go to Tootsies but it was so packed you couldn't get in the door. Just about every place down there had a live band even Margaritaville. We went to Honky Tonk Central I believe is the name it's right on the corner there and it's like 3 stories. It was pretty cool and they had a band on each story. 

Guest drwright6

I think I would hit Broadway early before it gets to busy and look around. You will find something you like. You may find 4 or 5 places you like. I had a friend in from Florida 2 2 weeks ago and that's what we did. We had a lots of good food and listened to several great bands. I carried like I always do. I didn't notice anyplace posted. I didn't look real hard either. I don't drink when I'm out, so that wasn't an issue. Have fun!

Well, a good burger can be had at "Burger Up". Amazing local sourced. May feel right at home for a Cali friend. Then, maybe see who is at 3rd and Lindsley? I am not thinking a great burger and great music will be in the same place. :)

Good on 'ya for wanting to showcase our best.

What else we got?

Thanks for all the great advice fellas!

I used to work in downtown Nashville.  My current job has me sometimes drive around Nashville but I only really do "Nashville stuff" whenever a friend comes over.  

It's funny though - every family member/friend that visits Nashville gets a trip to the range.  (and my conversation rate is pretty good!)  and we're certainly going do some range time on Sunday.  I went to the range up in Clarksville once.  I fell in love with that 400 yard range and they even had a golf cart. =)  I'm going to take my Savage 308 over there again.  I hear they have a shotgun area too where they will throw clay pigeons. 

I'm going to include Broadway/Honky Tonk for Saturday morning - good tip!   And I'm hearing a lot about Loveless Cafe.  I usually do Monnells or Sylvan park for my fill of meat & 3.  I may introduce ourselves to Loveless this weekend.

Yeah. I checked the venue for 3rd and Lindsey but I don't think I really like the band.  That's actually the ONLY place I've been to to listen to music.

So far, I like who's going to sing on 12th & Porter. (Megan Moreaux) I hope it's a decent locale; let me know if you've been there.

and I didn't know about the bar/gun thing.   I'll carry unless it's posted.  I won't drink anyway.  I hate to walk around downtown at night naked without.

Well, a good burger can be had at "Burger Up". Amazing local sourced. May feel right at home for a Cali friend. Then, maybe see who is at 3rd and Lindsley? I am not thinking a great burger and great music will be in the same place. :)

Good on 'ya for wanting to showcase our best.

What else we got?

That's easy to want to showcase our best.  I really love it here. 

I'm actually a transplant of CA as well.  I used to be anti gun until my first trip to the range 7 or 8 years ago.  (I was an easy convert.)

Since then, I've been on a mission to convert folks to all things South:  BBQ, Country Music and Guns.

• Like 1
Burger Up and Loveless Cafe are both posted. Loveless lately has become famous for being famous. Not as good as it once was. Try Puckett's downtown for some good southern food. They often have live bands too. Search google for Puckett's Grocery.

One thing that Loveless does have that's excellent is Music City Roots. I think it's Wednesday nights. Check their site for info and the line up.

While you're downtown, go to the Hermitage Hotel. The lobby is awesome and a real piece of old South. The men's room downstairs is an Art Deco masterpiece and has a little alcove where Al Capone would hide from the coppers. It's a cool downtown spot. Edited by monkeylizard

I hear they have a shotgun area too where they will throw clay pigeons. 

Yes, it is absolutely awesome. Bring a few hundred rounds of 9 shot and a couple of shotties, you two will have a ball. Don't bother bringing clays though, you have to use theirs the way it's set up.

Roberts Western World on lower broadway is very popular. As is Tootsies. Both have food and live music. VERY Nashville.

The Bluebird Cafe is another great choice and you don't have to go downtown to get there.

You can carry in a "bar" as long as it isn't posted and you don't drink. I couldn't say which venues are posted and which aren't.

Tootsies and Bluebird are both posted. Not sure about RWW.

Or head out to Franklin and go to Pucketts. Food's pretty good plus live music.

A couple of you guys mentioned it, thanks for the tips.  So i went ahead and made a reservation to Pucketts over at Leipers Fork.  I know it's a longer drive but we'll enjoy Natchez Trace and I hear it's more "country".

We'll take downtown Nashville tomorrow at lunch so I figure we can try something a bit more 'native'.

I'm salivating just thinking of the food tonight!

Hi guys.  What a fun weekend!  Thank you for all the recommendations/tips.

On Friday - we had some good Southern Food at Puckets @ Leipers Fork.  Music was great.  I learned a new Southern word as well, "Fleeurs"  (flowers).  As in "like fleeurs in the wind".

Saturday - we walked around downtown.  Visited the Hermitage hotel and relieved myself in probably the fanciest bathrooms I've ever been in.  (I'm going to start to have classical music playing in my bathroom.)  We at at Corey's dog house on 29th.  Went to a few shops and even a trip to Franklin Gun Shop.

Yesterday was a day in the Montgomery County Gun Range.  It was like 3 range visits in 1.  We actually were able to hit clays with a (converted) Saiga 12!  (I'm not saying how many).  We shot to 300 yards (i couldn't figure out how many clicks to move a scope to hit at 400 so I just left it at 300).  We were easily making 'heat shots' (we had full sized silhouette targets posted).  And then we shot some handguns.  My friend made hits with his own hand-loaded ammunition; I showed him how to reload that morning.  I was making 400 yard hits with another friend's iron sighted AR15.  I think I'm convinced I want one!

And we ended his visit with a trip to the Waffle House.

Here is a free gun pic to share:  (my visiting friend shooting my Savage 10FP in 308)  (thanks again everyone).  (I love this state.)

11w8xom.jpg

Edited by vujade