Tennessean looking to talk to folks who have been denied on a background check

Guest brianhaas

Guest brianhaas

In my experience alot of our denials are charges that have no disposition on file. Alot of guys that got into a fist fight 40 years prior and the charges were dropped or thrown out have no disposition on them and TBI just denies them. Not all cases mind you, but alot of them turn out like that.

I'm guessing this is going to be the majority of the appeals. Already TBI is telling me that's likely the case.

Spot on.

Guest brianhaas

I agree with Scoutfsu considering most of what you have asked in the past has not turned out to be in our favor. Though you do insist that all of that is above your pay grade.

Opining is above my pay grade. My job isn't to write stories in your guys' favor. Nor in favor of gun control advocates.

My job is to either piss nobody off or piss everybody off.

I'm fine with either outcome.

Guest brianhaas

So what is a high rate of denials?  Do we exceed some national average?  Could it be that we have a better system than anyone else or worse?

What's the purpose here?

According to 2010 data:

National rate: 1.5%

Tennessee: 4.3%

According to that data (provided by DOJ), Tennessee is #1 in the nation.

Sure, I should have been clearer in my initial post. Tennessee has an unusually high rate of background check denials and I'm writing a story about that. In addition, we have a high rate of denial appeals, and I'm writing about that as well.

I'd like to know why our denial rate is so high when compared to the rest of the country and why so many denials are overturned on appeal. Also, I'm wondering what the heck is going to happen if universal background checks go into place if we're already having such high rates of appeals.

If we stand out from the crowd that much, it's probably because TN controls it, as a way of taxing us for the background checks. You could expect that the denials would increase with the number of checks if they don't feel compelled to fix it.

I have read most of Mr. Haas articles, especially the ones he comes here about.

It has been seen the in the past that the headline might be different than what we expected, and that is where he has explained it is above his paygrade. The Editor picks the headline.

As for the meat of the article, I have never felt betrayed by the information Mr. Haas has gotten from here, and to be honest, I hold him a notch above his peers as he actually takes the time to come here before painting with a broad brush.

I have not been denied. I will be of no help.

I hope that in the end, as always, your article is objective and allows your readers to draw their own conclusions. That is something that appeals to me in your work, you try very hard to keep any bias out of it. That is not something that is easy in this day and age.

According to 2010 data:

National rate: 1.5%

Tennessee: 4.3%

According to that data (provided by DOJ), Tennessee is #1 in the nation.

Looks like we're getting our money's worth at 10 bucks a pop.  :lol:

Might want to mention that as well.  We are forced to pay an additional tax (fee) in this state when purchasing a firearm for a service the Federal government provides for free.

• Like 2

Brian, I hope you lose the term "universal background checks" because it's an anti gun fallacy. Background checks are not, and never will be, universal when large blocks of people are not included in the system. People that are banned from owning guns, but are not included in the system include those adjudicated mentally ill, those dishonorably discharged from the military and those that have been instituted, by a court, for drug and/or alchohol abuse.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I've been denied twice, but both denials were overturned. Both times the tcis internet system was down, ffl had to call it in. Waited 24 hours and was good to go.