Laser Grips: Good or Bad?

OK friends, time to stop by with your opinion . . .

Some feel that laser grips are the greatest thing since beer in a can because you have the ability to put the "dot" exactly where you are going to shoot.

Others totally dislike laser grips because in a dangerous situation, the laser may tend to give away your position and allow you to become a target.

I would appreciate hearing your opinions on the subject. I can see both sides, but am not sure where I fall out. Please share!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

My personal opinion is that putting a laser or light on your weapon is like putting on a big neon sign that says "Shoot here, Please!":screwy:

My opinion is that it isnt necessarily a bad thing, but that you should definately learn to use your sights before you install a laser. Actually using it would tend to be more situational than anything. There are pro's and con's to most everything - lasers can give away your position, but once your position is already given away, they can be used as a deterent (SP?) and be an aid in an already tense situation. Everyone watches TV, and everyone knows what a little red painted dot on you means and is a psychological weapon.

That said, I only own one laser - a lasermax in my 228 Sig. To be honest I rarely - if ever use it, and wouldnt buy another lasermax based on the fact that I cant adjust it to a set distance myself (have to send it back to the factory for adjustment) and the switch is a little strange for me. CT grips seems to be a better way to go.

Just my 2c

...... now infrared lasers with night vision.... mmm.....

Great for exercising your cat. A cat will chase the 'dot' until they fall over. Easy on you too, you never have to get out of your chair.

On a more practical plain, I think they are great for learning trigger control. If it is not to your advantage to use it, don't. Just don't turn it on.

As someone observed above, there is no substitute for learning to use your sights.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have a set of CL grips on my RIA compact. My thought process was that the small GI sights are great during the day (at least I love them), but when the light is low, they are less than desirable. This is when the laser grips come in. Also, take for instance shooting around an obstacle or remaining covered and needing to fire off a shot...you aren't going to be able to use your sights then. I know, situational dependent and I pray I'd never be in a situation like that, but anyways...

As mentioned earlier, they are also great for trigger control. It's amazing how much your hand may move during a shot, unless you have taught yourself excellent control. I find it to be good practice to just sit at home and try to control my trigger pull by dry firing (snap caps of course...) and keeping the laser pointed on a target.

Those are my reasons for having laser grips, but for the most part I just use my sights.

:mad:

Not to mention I think the flames look cool... :D

IMG_3273_Medium_.JPG

Edited by BrandonTN
Guest Halfpint

I don't see them as a replacement for sights, and I try to explain that to every one of my customers. (Some still disagree, oh well . . . )

They have their uses, but I see these uses as very limited. The only two situations I can personally see where I would use a laser on a defensive weapon (ie, not military use--they have a LOT of reasons to use them) would be if I were in a physical struggle for my weapon or unable to acquire a traditional sight picture, like being so close to an individual I wouldn't be able to bring my weapon up to eye level to aim, lest he be able to touch/grab/deflect my weapon.

My mother, on the other hand, is a perfect candidate for laser grips--she has very poor degeneration in her dominant eye, and can only focus on one thing at a time. I'm gone as much as I'm home, and she's not exactly the type of woman capable of defending herself while unarmed. You're supposed to focus on your front sight and let the target "be a blur" . . . in her case, the target is literally NON-EXISTENT. I let her try a set of laser grips and told her "put the dot on the target and pull the trigger." All she had to do was focus on the target, and she would see the dot. Again, hers is a special case.*

It's your call, they have their applications, but as others have said, they DO NOT and SHOULD NOT replace your sights if you are able to actually see them.

Guest crytes

being a battery operated device you must not depend on them however when available they tend to speed up target aqusition. Of course training can speed you up as well, but why not take every equipment advantage available. As far as revealing your position. I don't understand what kind of "defensive" ambushes you're planing but I'd assume you'd be defending yourself from someone who can see you so I don't forsee this as an issue. Regardless of your tool or what bells and whistles you put on it nothing replaces propper training and frequent practice. The only real con I see is the posibility of it causing a false sence of security leading people to belive that they no longer need to practice to remain profecient.

A friend of mine, who is shooting enthusiast, has a laser scope mount on the top of one of his handguns. When he had me try the gun with the laser, all I can say is it greatly increased my shooting accuracy. I put the dot where I wanted it, and pulled the trigger. As long as you do not pull the gun off target when you perform the trigger pull, a properly sighted laser will put bullets on target.

I have night sights on my handgun using the green dots, two on the rear sight and one on the front sight. From time-to-time I test my ability at home in the dark to sight the unloaded gun on a picture or some other objects. I noticed it took too much time to properly have all three dots lined-up. And if I rush to sight a target and think I have all three dots lined-up, I found myself sometimes with the front green dot being either the leftmost or rightmost dot in the three dot line-up.

This led me to change my approach to night sighting by purposely bring my gun into the sight picture with the nose-up more than usual so that I can quickly determine the front sight and line-up on target so I do not have the gun canted left or right in the sight picture. However, it still takes me an extra one to two seconds to sight the target at night as compared to daytime.

Of course, with laser scopes mounted on you handgun, you need to make sure the gun is still reliable that the added weight or mounting of the scope does not interfere with the guns operation.

I think they are a cool toy for target shooting. I want a set for my 1911.

As far as for defense… chances are that if you ever were in a shooting situation you would not have the time to use a laser or sights. You should be able to hit your target with point instinct shooting. If he is far enough away you need sights, chances are you don’t need to take the shot.

Guest nraforlife
.... As far as for defense… chances are that if you ever were in a shooting situation you would not have the time to use a laser or sights. You should be able to hit your target with point instinct shooting. If he is far enough away you need sights, chances are you don’t need to take the shot.

+1

I have never understood why laser grips are so dang expensive! I can buy a pair of Pachmeyer or Hogues for around $20. I can buy a nice laser for $5-$10. If I want the laser mounted in the grips I am looking at $200 plus. Heck the Crossman BB pistol I paid $29 for, came with a rail mounted laser that fits my XD perfectly. I'm sure recoil would probably kill it, but I really look cool when I strap on my Mall Ninja gear!:D

Guest trigem

I have installed a Insight X2 Laser light combo on my home defense weapon , a XD45 ACP, It gives me fast on & off control and lets me see the target before I pull the trigger, With out it I would not be able to shoot with confidence that it was the BG in my night sights:koolaid:

I can buy a pair of Pachmeyer or Hogues for around $20. I can buy a nice laser for $5-$10.

Set of Hogue grips…. $20.

Nice laser……………….$5

Roll of duct tape…. …$5

Look on Vero1’s face after he gets everything together…. Priceless.

:D

Guest nraforlife
I have installed a Insight X2 Laser light combo on my home defense weapon , a XD45 ACP, It gives me fast on & off control and lets me see the target before I pull the trigger, With out it I would not be able to shoot with confidence that it was the BG in my night sights:koolaid:

SUREFIRE flashlight works well also.

I have a set on my S&W 638. As an addon for a J-frame CCW piece that has minimal sights they are quite useful. If I have the opportunity to line up sights then I will, but the kind of situation where I'd use my little 638 may not allow for site alignment.

To put another way, I think of them as training wheels for point shooting. :rolleyes:

I think they are a cool toy for target shooting. I want a set for my 1911.

As far as for defense… chances are that if you ever were in a shooting situation you would not have the time to use a laser or sights. You should be able to hit your target with point instinct shooting. If he is far enough away you need sights, chances are you don’t need to take the shot.

When SHTF and the BG is not standing still like the paper target at the range, point shooting is likely to miss unless you practice a lot at the range using this method like the trick shooters I have seen on TV.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9737

I am not saying that point instinct shooting is worthless. I am saying that to develop the point instinct shooting skill takes a lot of time and skill to perform accurately and consistently.

Thus, you should be using your sights, even if it just the front sight of the handgun.

The issue I have with your post is the statement:

If he is far enough away you need sights, chances are you don’t need to take the shot.

Again, too variables regarding the self-defense situation to know when you have to shoot to protect or forcibly persuade the BG to stop their attack.