Best Sub $400 9mm

dubya3488

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a new handgun. My FEG PA-63 is a great gun, but the Makarov cartridge is still rare in my neck of the woods (as is everything else, but a lot of places don't even carry it). I am thinking of switching over to something in either 9mm or 45 ACP, but I only have around $400 right now. Given that, I think 9mm is probably the best bet.

I am looking for something I can use for concealed carry, home defense, and some range shooting. Basically, I need a good all around gun. I have read a few recommendations for the Sccy CPX-2, the Ruger SR9c, and the Kel Tec PF-9.

What do you guys think would be the best way for me to go?

Thanks,
Dubya

Built like a tank. Heavy as one, too.

Oh yeah. . .and I dont carry mine although I have in the past. . .I carry a Glock 26. . but the ole Ruger is wearing a set of Meprolights and serves diligently as the wifes nightstand gun. . but if I had only $400.00. . .I would buy a  Ruger P95 DC which I still see occasionally for $300.00 even in todays market slap me set of Meprolights on it and feel I was good to go. . .Mine has never balked on anything from cheap steel cased crap. . .to +p+ PDR's

I either own or have shot many of the guns recommended and they are all good choices to look at. I wouldn't take any off the list.

That all being said, noone but you can decide on the gun that fits your hand best and its hard to find a good all around gun.

A gun that is highly concealable is not going to be a great gun at the range and something comforable at the range is rarely going to be the pocket rocket thats good to hide all the time. Nor is it going to have the mag size that I would prefer in a gun that I kept in my nightstand. 

one gun is going to be a compromise and only you can make those choices.

• Like 1

Also, I really like that PT92! I like the way it looks. Would it be too large for carry though? How much does Academy charge for a background check?

Carry depends more on the holster than the gun. I've got a cross bread super tuck and can carry a full size 1911 all day and forget its there. Academy charges $10 for the background check.