Pope Francis?

Raoul

Everything I have read so far leans towards the idea that he will refocus the Church towards its true calling to do the work of ministry. Pushing the clergy back into doing real social outreach amongst the lepers and prostitutes and away from doctrinal matters. If this is correct, this could be excellent news for the Church and wherever the Church is.

+1  

A guy who lives in a small apartment (instead of a palace) , cares for a sick brother, cooks his own meals (instead of having a gourmet cook that was provided) takes the bus to work everyday (instead of the limo provided) and whose main stated goal and major accomplishments are helping the poor in his country is probably a good guy to have representing all christians on the world stage.  I think it will be good for all Christian churches including Catholics.

• Like 2

My post was made in jest....about an elected official....who is thought of as the Head of the Church.......when actually the Head of the Church is the Jewish man from Bethlehem, who appointed another Jewish man (Peter) to "tend/feed my sheep", who were all Jewish at the time.....I am glad and thankful that God grafted in us Gentiles as well!

Yes and there is a group of Jewish people that are called Jews for Jesus
like I commented one time to an athirst "if you're right and there is no God and I am wrong believing in God no big deal but if I am right and you're wrong" need I say more

Anyone want to start a new interwebz conspiracy theory?

Benedict the Retired was in the Hitler Youth.  Where did all the Nazi's escape to after WWII?  Argentina.  Coincidence?  :tinfoil:

:P

I'd worry more if he was from Paraguay.
  • Like 1

like I commented one time to an athirst "if you're right and there is no God and I am wrong believing in God no big deal but if I am right and you're wrong" need I say more

I'm sure the good Lord is just ecstatic to be your insurance policy against eternal damnation.
  • Like 3

....like I commented one time to an athirst "if you're right and there is no God and I am wrong believing in God no big deal but if I am right and you're wrong" need I say more

I'm sure the good Lord is just ecstatic to be your insurance policy against eternal damnation.

Yup, if I thought the Big Guy would honor a hedged bet, might claim to be a Christian myself. Also a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc etc, just to cover all the bases.

- OS

• Like 4

I used to speak that same kind of nonsense in my younger days. I now call that the "lazy Christian". Usually it goes hand in hand with the "I'm gonna do what I want and act how I want, but I'll go to church on Easter and hey, John 3:16!" attitude on Christianity. Either you believe in your religion or you don't. I'll say one thing and one thing only in defense of many athiests I know, they are steadfast in their beliefs. Many Christians aren't and honestly, using Jesus as some sort of trump card probably isn't a good thought process.

another nearly 80 year old. 

If he does something about the child abuse, I care not what else happens.  If that is reform, then good. 

I will keep the rest of my thoughs private, lets just say I do not understand this religion very well, and strongly disapprove of its political meddling.

Don't tell me to lighten up. Talk about your own church and its leaders

Try being Southern Baptist. Thick skin, brother, thick skin. 

What's the difference between a Baptist and a Catholic?

Catholics will acknowledge one another in a liquor store.

Depends on if you are serving the right God, the correct way.

I will say this for the offended Catholic: One of my friends was Catholic, and when questioned about the saints of Catholicism, he said, "We don't worship them like you rednecks think (he was Italian descent and from NY). It's like having a best friend that is friends with a hot chick - you just want them to put in a good word for ya." 

But they are dead, they can't put in the good word.

Considering the sacrifice Jesus made, I'm positive He approves of it.

I don't think you understand the argument. Considering the sacrifice Jesus made I think he expects nothing less than full devotion from people, not treating him as a hedged bet or an insurance policy. 

• Like 4

the pope is a political leader, he just went to seminary instead of majoring in Political Science at some state school.

For Catholics such as myself he is totally irrelevant, his opinion means nothing.  The church ran me off with its draconian views and rules.

And the line about believing in God not hurting anything but not believing seals one's doom if it is all true cracks me up. Believing in  space aliens is more believable.

• Like 2

the pope is a political leader, he just went to seminary instead of majoring in Political Science at some state school.

For Catholics such as myself he is totally irrelevant, his opinion means nothing.  The church ran me off with its draconian views and rules.

And the line about believing in God not hurting anything but not believing seals one's doom if it is all true cracks me up. Believing in  space aliens is more believable.

As a Catholic that came up through Catholic Schools and did the Altar Boy thing, I couldn't agree more. The older I get the more out of touch the church seems to me. I don't care what gay folks do with their own lives, I can't fathom telling them they can't get married. I do oppose abortion, but their views on birth control are just plain silly. And they really lost me when they came out in favor of gun control. 

Having said that there is no other religion I would consider being a part of. I'm not sure how any American who aligns themselves strongly with either of our political parties stays Catholic. 

I don't think you understand the argument. Considering the sacrifice Jesus made I think he expects nothing less than full devotion from people, not treating him as a hedged bet or an insurance policy. 

What do you mean by full devotion?  If it's in the same context as obeying the Law of Moses or an ascetic lifestyle of self-denial to attain righteousness, I don't believe that's what He expects. 

What do you mean by full devotion?  If it's in the same context as obeying the Law of Moses or an ascetic lifestyle of self-denial to attain righteousness, I don't believe that's what He expects. 

That is obviously the extreme end and not what I am saying at all. I'm saying believing in God only as an insurance policy against going to hell is not what she expects of us.

That is obviously the extreme end and not what I am saying at all. I'm saying believing in God only as an insurance policy against going to hell is not what she expects of us.

Okay...copy that.  Although that evangelistic method does have some scriptural basis.  (Jude 1:22-23).