What .45 Should I Buy?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As already mentioned, the Glock 30 is an excellent choice.

Personally, I found the G30 to be a little too thick for my hand. I went with the G36. It is thinner than the G30, so it fit my hand much better. Of course, it holds 4 less rounds than the G30. Give them both a try, and see which you like the best.

Edit: Ah, I see you want a DA/SA. I would probably go with a SIG P220 Compact. I am not too familiar with other compact DA/SA .45 pistols. I tend to favor DAO for carry.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
add more info
As already mentioned, the Glock 30 is an excellent choice.

Personally, I found the G30 to be a little too thick for my hand. I went with the G36. It is thinner than the G30, so it fit my hand much better. Of course, it holds 4 less rounds than the G30. Give them both a try, and see which you like the best.

Edit: Ah, I see you want a DA/SA. I would probably go with a SIG P220 Compact. I am not too familiar with other compact DA/SA .45 pistols. I tend to favor DAO for carry.

Glock now has a Model 30SF (SF = Slim Frame) and it feels more like a G23 in the hand. Very nice.

A good friend of mine borrowed my Model 30 to take his permit class. After he got his rebate check he went to go buy one, and luckily when he got to Guns & Ammo they had a Model 30SF. Hell liked it better and bought that gun, and then came straight to my house to show it off.

Needless to say I fell in love. The thick frame on my Model 30 has never been a problem to me, but this new model 30 has an awesome fit. Shoots great too.:up:

• Administrator
Were are Sorry Tungsten. I guess we are all drunk on the Kool-Aid. :up:

The last time I checked, I was carrying a Glock 19 ... but thankfully it's not a DA/SA gun. :D

We just need to stick to the parameters of each topic as defined by the Original Poster. That's all. :)

What are the pros and cons of SA vs. DAO?

Also, being a old time "wheelgunner" - the only semi-autos I own are a Browning Challeger .22 and a Browning Hi-Power - please educate me about the difference in "striker" fired guns and non-striker fired. I am totally unknowledgable about this.

Many of the Pro's and Con's will be purely based on personal opinions. I'd suggest going to a range that rents hand guns. This way you'll get a feel for what's best for YOU.

SA - Single Action. In this mechanism the firearm's hammer is fully cocked, and the trigger pull performs the single action of dropping the hammer to hit the firing pin and fire the round. These pistols are generally carried "cocked & locked", where the hammer is back and safety is engaged. Well known examples of this are the M1911, Browning/FN Hi-Power, some variants of the HK USP, SIG P-Series SAO pistols, CZ-75 SA, and FN FNP SA.

DA - Double Action. In this mechanism the trigger pull performs the two actions of cocking the hammer, and then releasing it to fire the round. The British often refer to DA as "Trigger Cocking" for this reason, and it helps many folks to think of DA in this way. DA autos are further split into three other categories as follows.

DA/SA - Double Action / Single Action. These pistols fire the first round Double Action, and all following shots are fired single action. They generally use a decocking lever to safely lower the hammer, but block contact with the firing pin so the chambered round is not fired.

Caution Decockers can fail, so always point the pistol in a safe direction when decocking. Decocker failures are rare in modern firearms, but do occasionally happen. Some older designs are more prone to failure.

DAO - Double Action Only. In these pistols the hammer always stays down, and the trigger operates only in Double Action.

Many well known brands of pistols are available in the Double Actions. Some are only available DA/SA or DAO, and many are available in either mechanism. Well known examples include SIG, H&K, CZs and Clones, Ruger, Taurus, Kel-Tec, Walther, FN, Beretta, and Smith & Wesson metal frame autos.

DAO with reduced trigger pull - These are the new breed of DA pistols, pioneered by Para Ordnace's "LDA" - Light Double Action. These pistols keep the hammer down, but cycling the slide pre-tentions the main spring / hammer spring. The result is a lighter weight DAO trigger pull, and some also provide for a shorter trigger pull & reset. Some also have the ability to revert back to a full weight DA trigger pull to give a second try if the round does not initially fire - this is known as restrike capability. Beyond Para's LDA, examples are SIG's DAK, H&K's LEM, and some Kel-Tec and Smith & Wesson Pistols. Edit: It has been brought to my attention that the hammer rests in a partially cocked position on the Kel-Tec PF-9, P-32, and P3AT; and possibly a few other pistols as well

SFA - Striker Fired Action. These pistols use a Striker, basically a hammer & firing pin in one. Most operate similarly to a lightened Double Action. Cycling the slide partially pre-cocks the striker, and the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker before releasing it to fire the round. Some pistols have the striker pre cocked only a small to moderate amount and are much like DAO in a traditional hammer & firing pin pistol. Others almost fully pre-cock the striker and are much like SA in a hammer & firing pin pistol. Others yet have striker mechanisms that are much like DA/SA. Glocks are undoubtedly the best known SFA pistols; others include Springfield Armory XD, Walther P-99 / S&W99, S&W M&P and Sigma, Taurus Millenium, Mil. Pro, 24/7, and CZ 100.

Guest DrBoomBoom

LuckyForward,

You've gotten some good suggestions here. The Glock 30 and the Taurus Millenium Pro seem to fit all your requirements.

I was looking for a good carry .45 also, and looked at those as well as the Sig P220 compact and the Kahr CW .45, both with smaller capacity. I ended up with a gun I'd never considered. A friend of mine was clearing out his safe and offered a Tanfoglio EAA Witness Compact .45. It's all steel, somewhat of a CZ75 clone. I got it with the standard 8 round mag and a 13 round extended (that makes it hard to conceal). I've put 200 rounds through it so far, mixing my handloads with S&B, Hornady +P JHP, and Speer Gold Dot. All without a problem. It's plenty accurate. When it hits 300 perfectly, I'll consider it fit for carry. It will be carried with the 8 round mag in the pistol and the 13 round mag for reload.

• Administrator
LuckyForward,

You've gotten some good suggestions here. The Glock 30 and the Taurus Millenium Pro seem to fit all your requirements.

I'm just curious, but did you bother reading the initial post? He asked for DA/SA recommendations. How exactly does the Glock fit that requirement?

Here are some animations showing how they work.

Striker-Fired

http://www.genitron.com/glock23/intglock.html

This will show S/A and D/A Modes. Watch the top of the screen for modes.

http://www.genitron.com/IntPistol.html

S/A - You can hide certian parts of the gun by clicking the boxes near the bottom/left side of the screen. This will allow you to see the inner- workings.

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Guest pjblurton
Here are some animations showing how they work.

Striker-Fired

http://www.genitron.com/glock23/intglock.html

This will show S/A and D/A Modes. Watch the top of the screen for modes.

http://www.genitron.com/IntPistol.html

That's a freak'n neat website! I'm very familiar with the different types of actions and I still found the animations facinating! I could shoot these guns all day just to watch them work...