Alternate weapons in a park

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

What can I legally carry for self defense in a Memphis park (zoo) that is posted? Can I carry a 4" knife"? Can I carry pepper spray?

TCA 39-17-1311 references 39-17-1302 but the latter doesn't seem to prohibit those. And are there additional city/county laws I need to be aware of regarding knives or pepper spray?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nra37922

If you let an animal get to the point where you are using a 4" blade to defend yourself your ass is already in deep dog poo.  Its been awhile since I've had the pleasure of vising Memphis, isn't the zoo at the corner of Crips and Bloods?

Edited by nra37922
Guest Wildogre

Being over 50 with a bone spur in one hip, and two bad knees......

I keep a walking stick in my car just in case, for the times that my hip and knees act up.

I also keep pepper spray in the car. 

Guest confidence

Being over 50 with a bone spur in one hip, and two bad knees......

I keep a walking stick in my car just in case, for the times that my hip and knees act up.

I also keep pepper spray in the car. 

Hmmm...I like the idea of carrying a cane!

What does the law say on it, though - if I don't have a medical need? Would it be considered intent to go armed with a club?

39-17-1307.  Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

Hmmm...I like the idea of carrying a cane!

What does the law say on it, though - if I don't have a medical need? Would it be considered intent to go armed with a club?

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club.

Im not a lawyer so dont take this for sound advice. If youre hiking with a "walking stick" I would guess it does not warrant medical need and if attacked I cant imagine it being any different than picking up a large branch in your path. Again, I am not a lawyer.

On the other hand if you had a cane sword I am sure that would qualify under intent to go armed. I think there was a recent case regarding that, not sure where though.

On the other hand if you had a cane sword I am sure that would qualify under intent to go armed. I think there was a recent case regarding that, not sure where though.

Swords are clearly knives as per TCA definition, whether inside a cane or not.

('"Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument;')

A cane itself could still be "going armed" with a club. It's all up to the spin and supporting evidence, just as it would be for a ball bat or tire iron or tire thumper.

(' "Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument;')

Odds on your cane being a club are pretty slim, but odds of your sword being "going armed" with a knife approach 100% I'd say.

If you have a large knife or sword on you in public, best to be on your way to outdoor activity, a knife show, or Society for Creative Anachronism gathering. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I got certified to carry an expandable baton. It's a 4 hour class and they give you a certificate card to keep in your wallet. Never seen a "no club zone" sticker, so I carry it where my second amendment rights are infringed. Prior to the recent legislation regarding parking lots it was my only weapon on the ride home too.
Guest confidence

I got certified to carry an expandable baton. It's a 4 hour class and they give you a certificate card to keep in your wallet. Never seen a "no club zone" sticker, so I carry it where my second amendment rights are infringed. Prior to the recent legislation regarding parking lots it was my only weapon on the ride home too.

Hmm...! I want to hear more about this. Details, please...!

Hmm...! I want to hear more about this. Details, please...!

A defense to unlawful carry is:

"By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons"

and

"By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws"

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest 270win

If you are in Memphis, go to Range USA and get you some Fox Labs pepper spray.  That is what I'd use if I didn't have a gun.  It gives you distance between you and your attacker.

Memphis does not have a great track record when it comes to dealing with felony violent crime.  That is why I always carry a gun in Memphis.

Guest confidence

A defense to unlawful carry is:

"By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons"

and

"By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws"

- OS

Cool! How do I get such a certificate?? Who teaches such a class?

I got mine in Joelton at The Academy of Self Protection. Seems like the class was $50 or so. They teach you the non lethal/ lethal strikes and how to avoid an acidental lethal strike. For instance, always strike in a downward motion if trying for a thigh or knee strike. If you strike in an upward motion you may unintentionally stike the head, resulting in a lethal blow. They also briefly cover what the law considers justified lethal stikes. Similar to a hand gun carry class.
Guest confidence

I got mine in Joelton at The Academy of Self Protection. Seems like the class was $50 or so. They teach you the non lethal/ lethal strikes and how to avoid an acidental lethal strike. For instance, always strike in a downward motion if trying for a thigh or knee strike. If you strike in an upward motion you may unintentionally stike the head, resulting in a lethal blow. They also briefly cover what the law considers justified lethal stikes. Similar to a hand gun carry class.

Cool! So do they give you the certification card then and there, or do you have to wait for it to come in the mail? Also, where do I buy a nightstick/baton and are they expensive? Thanks for the help!