spotted this morning

Il Duce

Tellico Plains, Kinley Atkins Motor Company.

It has been fifteen years or more, but he had no less than six Superbirds and Daytonas. He has Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II and several other late 60's early 70's NASCAR Homologation cars. It was in that garage that I first saw a 426 Hemi.

• Like 1

been there, done that and got the t-shirt.  over the years when i was a young man i sold cars that i should have kept. i would buy a so called muscle car cheap, drive it some and sell it off to get the next thing that came along.  55 chevs, chev ss,  64 mustang, vw of all kinds, dodges of all kinds.  dodges were the cheap cars of the day.  who would have known that these old cheap priced muscle cars would bring big cash now.  

That reminds me:

When I was an early teen, a girl up the street married a guy with a early 70's Dodge Charger. He skipped on the girl and the car payment, and left her mother with the car. She drove it for several years - never over 35 MPH!

I can still hear that cammed up hemi idiling down the road.

Tellico Plains, Kinley Atkins Motor Company.

It has been fifteen years or more, but he had no less than six Superbirds and Daytonas. He has Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II and several other late 60's early 70's NASCAR Homologation cars. It was in that garage that I first saw a 426 Hemi.

He has a few Ford Talladega Torino's also. And quite a few superbird parts. Nose peices, wings ect.... It's been that long or longer since I got to explore that warehouse. I don't know if any of it is still there.

Edited by Shug
  • Like 1

There is a very old guy out in Maynardville that has some amazing pieces in a warehouse. Everything from mid 20's to the early 70's.

In Rutledge there was a Talledega Torino that had front end damage sitting in a yard. I tried for 3-4 years at different times to buy it. Then one day it was gone so I stopped in to ask where it had went. They told me sent it to scrap. They had an "oh well" kind of attitude when I told them they were worth a lot. I guess he realized he would never have the money to restore it so he may as well get a few hundred dollars for it.

My shop teacher in HS had a Superbird. He said he was driving through KY and seen it sitting in a McDonald's parking lot. He found the owner's and bought it for $2,500. He said it was rough but everything was there. It was a 440 4 barrel car. On highway 92 there is a guy who has a silver 1969 Daytona. I talked to him and he said it is the only silver 1969 produced. It is unreastored but does have some sun damage. He also had a few AMX's.

Dolomite

I was in high school when the first Superbirds hit the streets. A fellow classmate's dad owned a Plymouth dealership, so guess who got to drive one to school every day?

They never had much appeal for me then, but I'd love to have one now.

He has a few Ford Talladega Torino's also. And quite a few superbird parts. Nose peices, wings ect.... It's been that long or longer since I got to explore that warehouse. I don't know if any of it is still there.

There was no doubt that garage was spectacular. The warehouse was across the street. I worked there out of highschool when it was a sewing factory. I remember one day they opened the sealed side up for us to go in and do some electrical work. There were dozens of engines in racks and at least fifteen more cars (in addition to the ten or so he kept in the garage across the street.)

As a kid, that was something else to see. To this day, I don't think I have seen a private collection that even compares.

I tried for years, but he always made it clear, nothing was for sale.

I can't remember if it was the Cyclone Spoiler or the Talladega Torino, but one of them he owned was used as the basis for the Revell model of the same. He kept a sealed box of it in the passenger seat.

Like you I worry about what happened to those cars. It has been years since I have seen them, and I know that he was adamant about keeping them all together. If he has passed, I worry that his family piecemealed it all out. One one hand I hope they went to good homes and were restored, on the other, I would have liked to see them stay together. That was on hell of a collection.