I have too many "other driver" pet peeves and y'all covered most of them, but maybe someone can tell me why holding a phone to one's ear makes idiots drive 10 miles slower than the flow of traffic?

One more...I was driving home from Franklin yesterday on a curvy, hilly, narrow road and found traffic putting along at 20 mph as far as the eye could see. As some turned off or passed, I found the problem. Some jackass in shiny underwear and a space helmet is riding a $1200 bicycle in commuter traffic on what could be the most dangerous road in all of Williamson county (Clovercroft Rd b/w Cool Springs Blvd and Wilson Pike). I found myself wishing this self-absorbed prick would hit a bump and disappear down the low shoulder.

I hate to make a blanket statement because as with any hobbyist there are good folks but I have never encountered a cyclist that didn't rub me the wrong way. And I am usually not guilty of road rage.

Saw a guy just yesterday pull his bike right out in front of a car going at least 35-40 mph and expected him to stop on a dime at the crossing. When he almost got ran over he flipped out and started waving his finger (you know which one) and shaking his head. I was watching the whole thing and he pulled out in front of the guy just to test him. :surrender:

Before its mentioned anytime you hit a person in the rear you're at fault unless one the driver is driving intoxicated or has no insurance or license. Otherwise you're at fault and your insurance pays.

You're presumed to be at fault, but the evidence can (and sometimes does) say otherwise.

I hate to make a blanket statement because as with any hobbyist there are good folks but I have never encountered a cyclist that didn't rub me the wrong way. And I am usually not guilty of road rage.

Saw a guy just yesterday pull his bike right out in front of a car going at least 35-40 mph and expected him to stop on a dime at the crossing. When he almost got ran over he flipped out and started waving his finger (you know which one) and shaking his head. I was watching the whole thing and he pulled out in front of the guy just to test him. :surrender:

I suspect having the right of way will not give you the power of resurrection.

• Like 6

I have too many "other driver" pet peeves and y'all covered most of them, but maybe someone can tell me why holding a phone to one's ear makes idiots drive 10 miles slower than the flow of traffic?

One more...I was driving home from Franklin yesterday on a curvy, hilly, narrow road and found traffic putting along at 20 mph as far as the eye could see. As some turned off or passed, I found the problem. Some jackass in shiny underwear and a space helmet is riding a $1200 bicycle in commuter traffic on what could be the most dangerous road in all of Williamson county (Clovercroft Rd b/w Cool Springs Blvd and Wilson Pike). I found myself wishing this self-absorbed prick would hit a bump and disappear down the low shoulder.

Lord knows don't hit a person on a bike that's a legal battle none of us need. There should be a min speed required to obtain on any public rd. Try going down the trace on a nice weekend. Those bicycle riders has to be rudest folks I've seen on the rds

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 2

If bicyclists have the same right of way as motor vehicles, they should be required to be capable of maintaining the speed limit...just sayin.

...same goes for tractors.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Before its mentioned anytime you hit a person in the rear you're at fault unless one the driver is driving intoxicated or has no insurance or license. Otherwise you're at fault and your insurance pays.

Sometimes yes maybe but rear ending someone puts you at fault with no control over your vehicle. It is what it is.

The ole hat trick works wonders getting a tailgater off ya tail to. Just toss it out window and tap your brakes it'll give em one big scare. This method is best used on rural back RDS just in case.

You're presumed to be at fault, but the evidence can (and sometimes does) say otherwise.

If bicyclists have the same right of way as motor vehicles, they should be required to be capable of maintaining the speed limit...just sayin.

And stopping at stop signs...

Truth is though, some drivers make the backup worse than it needs to be. Some jackhole in a tiny car waits until there's nothing in the oncoming lane before moving all the way over and passing the bike rider. Dude! The bike is on the shoulder and you're in a subcompact! Hug the center line and pass the bike already and let's get this moving!

• Like 1

Tractors are exempt under min speed laws they must either have flashing lights and or the orange triangle posted on back of tractor. There exempt due to agriculture use same as trucks with farm tags.

• Like 1
Guest SWirish24

You're making the assumption here that we're talking about multi lane roads. I don't go on the interstate and block traffic by hanging out in the passing lane. If someone gets on my ass I'm reducing speed until they pass of back off. If you're the type of person that is bothered by that, too effing bad. If you feel like that is escalating the situation too effing bad. I don't have to be subjected to unsafe driving tactics if I don't want. Being rear ended at 20 mph by a tailgater is better than being hit at higher speeds. I don't see how reducing speed somehow creates an unsafe situation unless the individual decides to so something violent, but I can't control the actions of others and whether or not they decide to break the law; that is for them to decide and me to react to.

As I said, "if road conditions permit." The DMV advocates pulling over for aggressive drivers to pass. Your response "too effing bad" belies the aggressive, raising your hackles attitude that should be avoided at all costs when carrying a firearm. This is a forum about concealed carry. Therefore the only assumption I make is that HCP holders take that as a grave responsibility. You're right in that you don't have to subject yourself to unsafe driving tactics, but I am unsure what motivates you to purposefully slow down with the knowledge it may further irritate the other driver. I also agree that you cannot control the actions of others. However, you CAN try to shape them by deescalating the situation. Take OP's scenario for instance, he drove to a police station (also something advocated the the DMV). But, had he instead purposefully reduced speed and blocked the other driver, he would be increasing his odds of a confrontation. And if that confrontation occurred and he were to use his firearm, I suspect he and most other carriers would question whether the "slow down and giggle as he fumes in the rearview" was really worth it. Again, I don't support aggressive driving, I just think folks ought to seriously think about the potential repercussions of their actions.

Tractors are exempt under min speed laws they must either have flashing lights and or the orange triangle posted on back of tractor. There exempt due to agriculture use same as trucks with farm tags.

I know, but they shouldn't be during heavy traffic times.

Tractors dont bother me..

Tractor=farm=food..and I am glad to still see farms around here.Once thye are all gone..it will be a sad day in America.

Dont really have  a problem with cyclists either.

Least its not like it used to be in Germany.Tailgating behind on the passing lane with the blinker on on the left....used to irritate me really bad...now a big nono there...

• Like 1

You're making the assumption here that we're talking about multi lane roads. I don't go on the interstate and block traffic by hanging out in the passing lane. If someone gets on my ass I'm reducing speed until they pass of back off. If you're the type of person that is bothered by that, too effing bad. If you feel like that is escalating the situation too effing bad. I don't have to be subjected to unsafe driving tactics if I don't want. Being rear ended at 20 mph by a tailgater is better than being hit at higher speeds. I don't see how reducing speed somehow creates an unsafe situation unless the individual decides to so something violent, but I can't control the actions of others and whether or not they decide to break the law; that is for them to decide and me to react to.

As I said, "if road conditions permit." The DMV advocates pulling over for aggressive drivers to pass. Your response "too effing bad" belies the aggressive, raising your hackles attitude that should be avoided at all costs when carrying a firearm. This is a forum about concealed carry. Therefore the only assumption I make is that HCP holders take that as a grave responsibility. You're right in that you don't have to subject yourself to unsafe driving tactics, but I am unsure what motivates you to purposefully slow down with the knowledge it may further irritate the other driver. I also agree that you cannot control the actions of others. However, you CAN try to shape them by deescalating the situation. Take OP's scenario for instance, he drove to a police station (also something advocated the the DMV). But, had he instead purposefully reduced speed and blocked the other driver, he would be increasing his odds of a confrontation. And if that confrontation occurred and he were to use his firearm, I suspect he and most other carriers would question whether the "slow down and giggle as he fumes in the rearview" was really worth it. Again, I don't support aggressive driving, I just think folks ought to seriously think about the potential repercussions of their actions.

I guess I simply don't care if it irritates someone who is not only breaking the law, but driving in an unsafe manner putting others at risk. The DMV can suggest whatever they want, but the fact remains it is unlawful to tailgate yet it is not illegal to adjust speed to unsafe road conditions such as a person driving aggressively and illegally. If that makes them mad, tough titties. I don't see how that is upping the ante. God forbid I offend someone who is breaking the law.
  • Like 2

Definately haven't had a problem with bicyclists. Or tractors for that much either. As a bicyclist ( mountianbiker, I don't do the spandex road riding thing). But I have encountered more rude drivers than rude Bicyclists. (maybe because there are more cars on the road than bikes. Least here inTennessee.) If people would slow down and plan ahead, maybethey wouldn't get upsetas much. But living in a fast paced world, everyone is in a hurry. I believethe speed limitis 70 on the interstate, I may go 75 then getpassed byGeorgia license plates going about 90. What's up with GA? 

I may go 75 then getpassed byGeorgia license plates going about 90. What's up with GA? 

If you drive 75 in GA especially Atlanta and the surrounding areas you will get run over. Sometimes safety is to flow with traffic regardless of speed.

I guess I simply don't care if it irritates someone who is not only breaking the law, but driving in an unsafe manner putting others at risk. The DMV can suggest whatever they want, but the fact remains it is unlawful to tailgate yet it is not illegal to adjust speed to unsafe road conditions such as a person driving aggressively and illegally. If that makes them mad, tough titties. I don't see how that is upping the ante. God forbid I offend someone who is breaking the law.

So you keep saying unsafe road conditions if the roads (interstates) are clear you you're purposely slowing the flow of traffic by being in the fast lane you are the one breaking the law.
Also don't get mad when a guy in big dodge 4x4 passes you then pulls over in front and grabs a couple lower gears with you on his bumper and you run up under the truck and see nothing but axle.

So you keep saying unsafe road conditions if the roads (interstates) are clear you you're purposely slowing the flow of traffic by being in the fast lane you are the one breaking the law.
Also don't get mad when a guy in big dodge 4x4 passes you then pulls over in front and grabs a couple lower gears with you on his bumper and you run up under the truck and see nothing but axle.

If you read my post you'll see I specifically wrote that I don't hang out in the passing lane. I don't see how I could make myself more clear. When I am in the passing lane it is because I'm passing someone. I will do so at a safe speed. When some ahole in a 4x4 dodge wants that to happen at 90mph and therefore rides my ass, I will slow down and make the process that much longer. I don't speed up in the passing lane simply because the guy behind me wants to do 90mph. I also don't cut off people in the right lane to hasten my passing.
  • Like 5

Now that makes things right... I'm gonna do that to the next guy I catch doing the speed limit... :up:

• Like 3

My pet peeve is also with interstate drivers in the fast lane or so called passing lane for no other reason than to what? Hold back traffic or cause lane changes to get around them? Typically when I come up on them and they don't move over I'll change lanes pass and as soon as my truck clears them I'm in front and dropped one to two gears without ever hitting the brakes. 

What you describe doing is reckless driving. You are purposely trying to make them get close to you - which is unsafe and reckless. There is one thing to apply your breaks in a slow and steady fashion that slows down your car and gives the person behind (even if they are tailgating) and opportunity to safely slow down. It's entirely another issue to do what you do or to break check. All you are doing is committing an offense also.

The other question you have to ask is, is the vehicle overtaking or passing another vehicle? It peeves me when people ride my tail while I am passing or overtaking another vehicle. It may not be as fast as they want (though rarely is it UNDER the speed limit), but I am following the law. Heck, I can stay in the left lane legally if there are other vehicles to overtake and I am actively doing so.

The biggest thing is people need to learn to chill. It's hard (and I fail many times), but the roads would be much safer if both cars and trucks (trucks have gotten really road ragey between Knoxville and Atlanta the past few years) would just chill.

• Like 2

Since we are on peeves... Semi Drivers.  Here I am kicking it down I40 at a respectable 78ish MPH, making good time and staying out of people's way who want to do 85.  It never fails, two semi's in the right lane.  The rear semi waits until I am within ten seconds of passing and they move on over to pass the semi in front of them.  Now, they don't pass with any urgency, no, the guy passing is doing 66 and the guy being passed is doing 65.  Why can't you do one of two things: speed up...or WAIT UNTIL I PASS!  I mean, I will only be there for five seconds.  No, we have to spend five freakin' minutes doing below the speed limit because you are an A'hole and can't wait five seconds.  I travel a lot, and on a typical drive to Memphis and back, this happens a dozen times. Grrr!

• Like 5

In defense of truck drivers. Most trucks are governed to a certain speed and can't speed up. Also if on a hill, the weight that they are hauling has a big impact if one can pass another or not if one is heavier than the other.

One of my pet peeves are people that will speed past you just to slow down and make a right turn.

OK one more. I'm really tired of hearing "Watch out for motorcycles". Most are safe, but the ones that aren't are extremely unsafe moreso than cage drivers.

Since we are on peeves... Semi Drivers.  Here I am kicking it down I40 at a respectable 78ish MPH, making good time and staying out of people's way who want to do 85.  It never fails, two semi's in the right lane.  The rear semi waits until I am within ten seconds of passing and they move on over to pass the semi in front of them.  Now, they don't pass with any urgency, no, the guy passing is doing 66 and the guy being passed is doing 65.  Why can't you do one of two things: speed up...or WAIT UNTIL I PASS!  I mean, I will only be there for five seconds.  No, we have to spend five freakin' minutes doing below the speed limit because you are an A'hole and can't wait five seconds.  I travel a lot, and on a typical drive to Memphis and back, this happens a dozen times. Grrr!

In defense of truck drivers. Most trucks are governed to a certain speed and can't speed up. Also if on a hill, the weight that they are hauling has a big impact if one can pass another or not if one is heavier than the other.

One of my pet peeves are people that will speed past you just to slow down and make a right turn.

OK one more. I'm really tired of hearing "Watch out for motorcycles". Most are safe, but the ones that aren't are extremely unsafe moreso than cage drivers.

I can understand that, but if you can only do one MPH faster than the guy in front of you, just forget it.  Tying up the left lane for ten minutes isn't worth the psychically projected hate coming at you.  :0)

• Like 4

I can understand that, but if you can only do one MPH faster than the guy in front of you, just forget it.  Tying up the left lane for ten minutes isn't worth the psychically projected hate coming at you.  :0)

Amen and amen.  It happens to me daily.

Worst case was about four years ago coming from Chattanooga to Nashville...a semi pulls out a few seconds before I'm going to pass him and he, and I'm not exaggerating at all, sits in the passing lane for the next 6 miles before he finally makes his pass and pulls back into the right lane.  As I go by I fire up the CB and tell him what I think of him (may have mentioned some of his ancestors too) and he seems oblivious as to why his actions were a problem for anyone (while a line of 40 cars finally get by him).

I know what I experienced is not typical but this passing at .8MPH faster than the semi on the right is getting out of hand and only serves to piss people off.

• Like 3

This I don't understand at all. I actually had a cop do this to me just days ago. I passed him on a side road just before the intersection. I pulled up to the intersection waiting on the red light to turn left. He got in behind me. The light turned green and I took my turn and got in the right lane. He gets in behind me and then suddenly speeds up, shoots to my left and in front of me, and then immediately makes a right turn.

Edited by Spank