1911 Reccomendation

dbla

So... In a fit of impulsiveness I sold my only CCW weapon to fund a present for the wife... Now I'm just down to plinkers...

I am VERY tentatively debating selling a knife (I primarily collect custom, high end, folding knives) or two to fund a nice 1911... Maybe a Kimber? Any recommendations? Something equally fun to shoot at the range, and easily carried? And also something that the wife wouldn't be too intimidated to shoot from time to time... Budget maybe $1k - $1500?

Ambi safety would be big due to my leftyness.

Thanks guys!!
I have a Rock Island Armory CS Tactical as my first 1911 and primary carry gun. I normally would prefer American made but I like this gun. I'm assuming that this is your first so that is my recommendation. The price is good and the gun has a good reputation. They seem to be very good starter 1911s.

I wasn't sure if I would like the 1911 and carrying it so I didn't want to spend a lot on something that I was uncertain about. I don't mid if it gets beat up either. Mine is setup for right hand only but you can get an aftermarket ambi safety for not too much that will fit. I think they do have guns with ambi safeties.

If it is a carry gun, I like and carry a Sig 1911 45 C3, costs around $900.00. I put 3 mag (21 rounds) of ammo through mine and it functioned perfectly. IMO it looks great, it is two tone.  

Edited by joesig

As far as I'm concerned, ALL 1911's are fun at the range. My girlfriend handles steel framed 1911's without a problem. She's never shot one with a lighter frame, which is going to have more recoil. When it comes to girls, you never know how they're gonna like it until they shoot it.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I love 1911s. Don't much care for Kimber as I think they are overpriced for what you get and, personally, I've been unimpressed with the quality and reliability of the several I've owned.

I too would consider a Rock Island or Sig 1911; both very good for the $ spend.

That said, as much as I love 1911s and even occasionally carry one, it's no longer my sidearm of choice for something I'm going to bet my life on.  A carry weapon is a tool and based on personal experience, I switched to carrying a Glock about three years ago.

• Like 3

If it is a carry gun, I like and carry a Sig 1911 45 C3, costs around $900.00. I put 3 mag (21 rounds) of ammo through mine and it functioned perfectly. IMO it looks great, it is two tone.  

I need to look into Sigs a little more...

• Like 1

I always recommend to people buying a 1911 to get a Colt. Though there are many fine 1911 out there, the one with the pony on the slide is the original.  The problem is finding one. I have a basic no frills Colt Government series 80.  It's a honey. 100% reliable and a good shooter. In my humble opinion Kimbers are overrated.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1

Kimber is more about pretty than function in my experience.   They do look nice..... but  I cannot tell the difference in function vs a cheap 1911.  The kimber trigger is better than the cheap guns (in general), but its not $300 better.   I have nothing against kimbers except the inflated price to quality ratio, though: if you WANT a pretty gun they are a good choice.

If the gun is for carry and basic range play, get a cheap ($750 ish) 1911.   There is no reason to spend more unless you want one of a (collectors item, competition gun, piece of art, brand name, etc).  

RIA is a strong contender.

You might also, since it is your carry gun, take a look at "not exactly 1911s"  as well.  For example, colt's defender, or para's small carry guns, are not quite 1911s (being in various calibers other than .45 and nontraditional frame sizes, some even have double stack mags).   My sig 938 is another idea if you want a small gun, though its not quite as fun at the range as a fullsize (what small gun IS?) its fun enough that I run a box thru it for kicks pretty often.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
These are the exact words from a friend who is a 1911 finatic. "Kimbers are pretty but almost everyone else makes a better 1911". He owns more than you could imagine, he eats lives and breathes 1911's. He has a few Kimbers but I think his most precious piece is an early 1940's Ithica. I have only shot a few of his but he normally brings one or two when he comes to visit. One of the best shooters out of the bunch is a Taurus. Yes, Taurus actually makes good 1911's. I don't care for a 1911's personally but he has had a Springfield and a few Rock Islands that impressed me for their low cost. I have heard him rave on about the Sigs being great but time will tell how they hold up. S&W 1911's run pretty good and can have some good looks to them but they are notorious for weak finishes.

Most 1911's have MIM parts, people are making a big deal about Rugers having them. I would be willing to beat a Ruger would hold up as well as about any of them make now. I have not seen too many reliability complaints if any. Edited by Patton
Guest mechanically
Something equally fun to shoot at the range, and easily carried? And also something that the wife wouldn't be too intimidated to shoot from time to time..

Ambi safety would be big due to my leftyness.

I feel like the EDC stipulation would rule out a lot of the standard stuff, but I feel like most can be converted to ambi with a little 'smithing. So, I guess you're looking for something smallish?

I just picked up my first 1911, an early '90s Springfield GI. I suppose the Mil-Spec would be the closest thing that they're currently making, but I absolutely adore it. Now I see what all the 1911 fuss is about!

So, without any experience, if I was in your shoes, I'd lean towards an EMP from Springfield. Plus, I think they're ambi out of the box...

Guest hi im drummer03

1000-1500 i would go with a Colt or Springfield.If you spend a little bit towards 1800-1900 i would go with  Dan Wesson or Les Baer...

Edited by hi im drummer03
Guest StorminMormon

Everytime I see that I wish more and more it was real....

My vote goes for Dan Wesson Valor, or get a good NM Springfield Mil-Spec and send it to the SACS . If you got the pistol for 600 that would leave 900 for them to do upgrades. That would cover carry bevel,front strap checkering, adding the sights of your choice, beavertail/saftey and even getting it refinished in Armory-coat.