The word Actually and others

Actualy, I think the word "like" and "umm" is used too much....umm like actualy used like way too much...umm. I can't like stand anyone whom says "umm" between every sentence they speak!

Dave S

I stop my daughter when she says "umm" more than once in a sentence. I tell her to stop and think, so her brain can catch up with her mouth.

Aside from the lies and liberal blather, it's the worst part about listening to Barry O. speak.
"Literally" Way over used. "I literally just got here. " to be honest with you.

"To be honest with you" as in everything else I said was a lie
I HATE this phrase so,so,so much & a friend of mine used to say about every 30mins when he was selling.
Every time my wife says it I just scream 'Delete!'

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I wrote this a while back, but it covers most of my grammatical pet peeves. If you are sensitive about these things too....DON'T READ THIS. 

If you just read that and "don't get it", you're who I'm talking about...

I literally blew a gasket reading that. Literally!

• Like 1

"To be honest with you" as in everything else I said was a lieI HATE this phrase so,so,so much & a friend of mine used to say about every 30mins when he was selling.Every time my wife says it I just scream 'Delete!' Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

It is sad to hear radio personalities use the " I am going to be honest with you" I want to say well it's about time. Here in the Tri-cities there is a local guy that says that 4 or 5 times an hour.

Another one is the weather forecasters saying " it is going to be 10 below zero today so dress extra warm or 100 percent chance of rain so grab that umbrella". Well da! I imagine some guy getting ready to go out the door and hearing that with a tee shirt and shorts on and thinking that's a good idea I better change.

And while we are on this. Ever been to a restaurant and while you are waiting for your food you drink all your tea and the waitress comes along and says " can I get you a refill?" I want to say no I plan on eating my meal and sitting here without drinking anything else.

In my working days as a magazine editor, a "regular" that always showed up in the submitted articles we'd get was utilized. "We will utilize the program this spring." We always edited that one to "We will use the program this spring." Same meaning, less fluff. Write tight is what they teach in editing school.

But with thumb texting the norm, writing "tight" is going from good to bad real quick. And the fact that cursive writing is being taken out of our schools also ... it will only get worse.

Don't forget to and too, I see that a lot on these forums TOO :)

• Like 1

In my working days as a magazine editor, a "regular" that always showed up in the submitted articles we'd get was utilized. "We will utilize the program this spring." We always edited that one to "We will use the program this spring." Same meaning, less fluff. Write tight is what they teach in editing school.

But with thumb texting the norm, writing "tight" is going from good to bad real quick. And the fact that cursive writing is being taken out of our schools also ... it will only get worse.

Don't forget to and too, I see that a lot on these forums TOO :)

Hey I use spiel cheek, what could be the problem.
Guest Lester Weevils

"To be honest with you" as in everything else I said was a lie
I HATE this phrase so,so,so much & a friend of mine used to say about every 30mins when he was selling.
Every time my wife says it I just scream 'Delete!'

I'm more sympathetic with that phrase. Actually, however, the over-use of words/phrases literally does not bother me. IF one were inclined to be sorely offended by over-use of a savagely truncated subset of the english, THEN how could one ever stand to be a programmer? ELSE a fella would have to find some other way to make a buck.  :)

There are truths. There are lies. And then there is tact. Tact is neither truth nor lie. Of course partial truth can be a fabulously effective lie, but tact is often accomplished by avoiding the compulsion to offer unnecessary information or opinion.

IF one cannot quell the compulsion to abandon the wisdom to keep one's trap shut, THEN predicating one's abandonment of gentility with, "To be honest with you" would possibly alert the listener that one is behaving INTENTIONALLY OBNOXIOUS rather than merely being an ignoramus who does not understand how to avoid being obnoxious. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

The phrase I've  grown anxious about is "Let me be clear". You know something bad is going to happen when he says that.

AFAIK Obama invented and patented "Let me be clear" and "Make no mistake."

"I HEARD THAT!!"

WTF? What happened to, "Yep," or, "I agree?"

I don't think that the use of the phrase, "I heard that," is anything new.  My paternal grandfather used that phrase to indicate strong agreement for as long as I can remember right up to his death last year.   He lived most of his life on and around Lookout Mountain (aside from a stint working for the auto manufacturers in Detroit.)  I have always thought of, "I heard that," when used in such a way, as a colloquialism used by Southern old timers.

Edited by JAB

AFAIK Obama invented and patented "Let me be clear" and "Make no mistake."

I thought that was mostly associated with Tricky Dick Nixon....    "Make no mistake, I am not a crook."  Perphaps preceded by "Let me be clear."

While we're on such things, I am also very tired of hearing, "at the end of the day...."

• Like 1

Don't forget to and too, I see that a lot on these forums TOO  :)

Yes I agree . My wife is a school teacher and I didnt realize that cursive hand writing was not taught anymore until she told me a while back. My 15 yr old son cant write in cursive !!!

That is so messed up ! When I was in school in the 70's and 80's cursive was a special thing to me and I loved it. I was in an advanced class for it and I also took an Old English writing class and a Calligraphy class too .

These days kids and young people just dont care anymore. And I dont know why this damn computer is making my letters in boldface letters! hahaha what a coincidence , prehaps these young kids could figure out this crap since they are all about the computer life !

I thought that was mostly associated with Tricky Dick Nixon....    "Make no mistake, I am not a crook."  Perphaps preceded by "Let me be clear."

While we're on such things, I am also very tired of hearing, "at the end of the day...."

At the end of the day my ass is tired !

• Like 1

...My wife is a school teacher and I didnt realize that cursive hand writing was not taught anymore until she told me a while back...

This is outstanding news to me. I'm on the other side of the fence. I abhor cursive. It takes me twice as long to read stuff.

We have a member here on TGO who posts using some squiggly cursive-like font...I've LITERALLY never read any of his comments, just because of the font.

• Like 1

This is outstanding news to me. I'm on the other side of the fence. I abhor cursive. It takes me twice as long to read stuff.

Yeah, I hated it in school when we were taught/required to write in cursive.  I never really got the point.  Printing got our point across just as well, was more clear and easier to read.  I never understood why the 'need' to write in cursive was a big deal.  As soon as there was no longer a requirement to write in cursive I stopped writing in cursive.  In fact, I haven't used cursive as a 'main' form of handwriting for well over 25 years.  I am able to 'print' my signature in a manner that is easily distinctive enough without resorting to a bunch of hooks and loops.  I think there is a reason why the word 'cursive' begins with 'curs[e]'.

This is also coming from a guy who, in college, took notes using a style of calligraphy similar to the Roman font with a bit of Uncial hand and a few of my own, personal 'tweeks'.  I think that part of the reason I became interested in those styles of calligraphy was because they were not 'cursive' - and therefore proved that 'print' handwriting could be every bit as formal and much more pleasant to look at than that darned spider scrawl called cursive.  Yep, I had 500 page, college ruled notebooks full of notes hand-written in calligraphy - but I still hate cursive.

Edited by JAB
Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah, I hated it in school when we were taught/required to write in cursive.  I never really got the point.  Printing got our point across just as well, was more clear and easier to read.  I never understood why the 'need' to write in cursive was a big deal.  As soon as there was no longer a requirement to write in cursive I stopped writing in cursive.  I think there is a reason why the word 'cursive' begins with 'curs[e]'.

This is also coming from a guy who, in college, took notes using a style of calligraphy similar to the Roman font with a bit of Uncial hand and a few of my own, personal 'tweeks'.  Yep, I had 500 page, college ruled notebooks full of notes hand-written in calligraphy - but I still hate cursive.

The only advantage to cursive I've seen is that it is quicker if you have to write a lot. Learned printing in first & second grade of course, and re-learned more refined printing in engineering drafting courses (back before computer aided design). My legibility is poor either in cursive or printing, but printing is slower and brings on writers cramp quicker than cursive.

The biggest argument for learning to be legible to me, was in math classes. It never forced me to be more legible, but I often would get the wrong answer in college math classes because I'd write some of the transformation lines too illegible, and then mis-read those lines when continuing the calculation on lines farther down. But that happened regardless of using cursive or printing, because of poor motor control in writing.

Yes I agree . My wife is a school teacher and I didnt realize that cursive hand writing was not taught anymore until she told me a while back. My 15 yr old son cant write in cursive !!!

That is so messed up ! When I was in school in the 70's and 80's cursive was a special thing to me and I loved it. I was in an advanced class for it and I also took an Old English writing class and a Calligraphy class too .

These days kids and young people just dont care anymore. And I dont know why this damn computer is making my letters in boldface letters! hahaha what a coincidence , prehaps these young kids could figure out this crap since they are all about the computer life !

I hate cursive. The only time I ever write in cursive is when I sign my name. And my signature could just as easily say Daffy Duck as my real name. And nobody cares. The only time I have ever written more than my name in cursive is when school assignments made it mandatory. I have done no research to back it up but I don't think I'm in the minority.

The only advantage to cursive I've seen is that it is quicker if you have to write a lot. Learned printing in first & second grade of course, and re-learned more refined printing in engineering drafting courses (back before computer aided design). My legibility is poor either in cursive or printing, but printing is slower and brings on writers cramp quicker than cursive.

The biggest argument for learning to be legible to me, was in math classes. It never forced me to be more legible, but I often would get the wrong answer in college math classes because I'd write some of the transformation lines too illegible, and then mis-read those lines when continuing the calculation on lines farther down. But that happened regardless of using cursive or printing, because of poor motor control in writing.

I find abbreviations are quicker. ;)