Looking for a better powder

hey all i am loading 9mm 124gr lead bullets that i tumble lube, with 3.7gr of acurate #2 , the load works great in my m&p but it is real smokie, at first i thought it was the lube but after loading some 115gr jacketed with acurate #2 they are still kind of smokie, is there a better powder that does not smoke so much?

thx
I am using Hodgdon Titegroup, very little to no smoke with 4.0 grains shooting 124 grain 9mm and 4.8 grains, 165 grain in my 40cal. Accuracy is in line with my expectations too.

I know some people claim Titegroup is dirty, but my opinion is it leaves the same amount of gunk as shooting the same amount of factory ammo, but easier to cleanup.

I read on another gun forum that said that shooting Titegroup with a moly coated bullet is smoky. Dont know myself, I use Titegroup and have been looking for something better, myself (other than Vihtavuori which, I understand, to be very clean but also expensive and diffacult to come by).

My pet load for 9x19 is
FC case
CCI primer
125g round nose tumble lube cast from air cooled wheel weights.
Tumble lubed with 45/45/10
3.0g of AA Nitro 100 new formula.

Nitro 100 new formula is VERY clean stuff. Be sure to get it right though. If you buy old stock, the old formula is NOT the same. The new stuff is labeled "New Formula".

Also, once your tumble lube boolits are dry, take a second to wipe the base across rag. Getting the lube off the base will keep smoke down.
Lastly, if you don't know what 45/45/10 is, you need to. If you're lubing with straight mule snot, you're wasting it. Get a good clean bottle and heat some tumble lube until its good and thin. Heat some Johnson's Paste Wax on low heat until its melted and then let it sit there and smoke for a good 15 minutes to cook off the undesirable stuff. Then add some odorless mineral spirits. The porportions of each are 45% Lee tumble lube, 45% JPW, 10% odorless mineral spirits.
When you use it, a little goes a long way. A thin film is all it takes. If you're using so much that you can visually tell there's lube all over the boolit, you've probably used way too much.
Lastly, when 45/45/10 dries (overnight) you will notice they are no where near as sticky and won't leave as much build up in your seating die.

.......I'm no expert, but it works for me. I've fired more than I can count through my Glock and I have no leading, very good accuracy and my idea of cleaning means grease the rails and wipe it off.
  • Like 1
Been using Winchester WSF in 9 mm loads and .40 loads and it isn't very smoky. When I go to clean after each day at the range, it doesn't take all night to clean up either. Velocities are better than the Titegroup that I used to use as well.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never tried it in a 9 but used HS-6 (WIN 540) behind a BBI coated in my 38 Super and wasn't bad at all but it is a hotter load which may change the dynamics

lead will always be "smoky" depends on how much of a smoker you want to be

smoke may be a sign of your process to some extent.  A light crimp may be enough to give the powder time to burn more completely and reduce the smoke.  #2 should not be too bad --- its a fast burner designed for a short barreled 380 or 25.  I use #5 in 9mm now, 2 was too small a charge to get consistent loads for me. 

Nothing I have made has been as smoked as the cheap russian ammo.   Nothing I have made has been as clean as WWB.   Whatever that is worth :)