Cody Wilson (3D printed guns)

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Lester Weevils

Googling "open source 3D printer" gives several hits, but the RepRap was the first AFAIK-- http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

The ideal is to design a printer capable of printing most of the parts to make a new printer. So a fella with a 3D printer could print parts kits for his friends.

One of these days maybe that would be fun to pursue but it seems still of limited utility unless you happen need a lot of small fairly weak custom plastic parts, or just enjoy spending hundreds of hours fiddling with a gadget. Currently even a non-automated small mill or a better bandsaw would benefit me more.

4) It's a legitimate concern that people who shouldn't have firearms can make them at home, but they can do that today. There's nothing that really stops a criminal from making a firearm now using old-school blacksmithing skills, but it's difficult, time consuming, and expensive. AutoCAD+mil/lathe makes it easier and less time consuming, but still expensive.

You have never put together an ak parts kit, have you?

• Like 1

What is the difference between this and a auto cad program + mil/lathe?

A product that works as intended vs. one that doesn’t.

A CNC mill is cost prohibitive for most people, a manual mill requires skills.

The application of these is for rapid prototyping, although there will be people come up with all kinds of small plastic stuff they can make. Guns won’t be a big issue anywhere except in the media.
Guest Lester Weevils

Noticed that the first republican to sign onto the proposed anti-printed-weapon bill is that staunch New York authoritarian statist Peter King. Mister anti-islam his-self. The same fella who wanted to deny guns sales to anyone on a secret government "terror list". Those lists where you can't find out if you are on one, or why, and there is no way to get off the list once you are added. Figures.

Edited by Lester Weevils
They just don't realize that they are causing more problems driving this technology underground by trying to stamp this out, than by allowing it to develop legitimately as a comercial venture & regulating it as any other firearm would be regulated.

Same thing always happens, if it didn't there would be no such thing as a "black market".

Now folks will make black-market versions without the metal slugs, completely undetectable & untraceable ... which is exactly what they were trying to prevent ... brilliant!

I hate to tell them this, but once it was uploaded to the internet, the cat was out of the bag.  They might make it illegal, but they can never erthatase the files from the internet, at this point. I'll even go so far as to say many have already been made.

The Latex comment made me remember something.  I saw an interesting article on the news the other day.  A Doctor is experimenting with creating human ears with a 3D printer.  This is for children that are born without ears.  He uses laboratory grown human cartilage material (yes they can do that now aday.  They scan in an ear shape that fits the child and print it with this live cartilage material and then grow it in the lab.  It's in testing now.  I guess when it finally gets in use, they will graft skin over the cartilage and then attach it to the child.  Pretty amazing stuff!!!

They just don't realize that they are causing more problems driving this technology underground by trying to stamp this out, than by allowing it to develop legitimately as a comercial venture & regulating it as any other firearm would be regulated.

They realize it, and they are going to make an example out of the people involved just to show everyone what happens; or they will introduce some new legislation to control the information on the internet even more.

The creators should've used some common sense on this one, nothing good will come from it at all.

• Moderators

They realize it, and they are going to make an example out of the people involved just to show everyone what happens; or they will introduce some new legislation to control the information on the internet even more.

The creators should've used some common sense on this one, nothing good will come from it at all.

You have a lot of faith in the government actually having real power in this area. I believe that faith is misguided. Government action will only further prove its impotence in exerting control over those that will not be controlled. Governments only have control over the willing.

You have a lot of faith in the government actually having real power in this area. I believe that faith is misguided. Government action will only further prove its impotence in exerting control over those that will not be controlled. Governments only have control over the willing.

The legal system has control over those not willing to abandon their families by going to prison on weapons charges.

I don’t see a problem here. You can legally make all the guns you want, a POS with a 3D printer, or the real deal if you have the skills and access to mills and lathes.

You just can’t sell them or transfer them. Will people try? Yes, and as soon as they turn up in the wrong places the person will be in jail.
  • Moderators
[quote data-cid='968869' name='DaveTN' timestamp='1368302196' post='968869']You have a lot of faith in the government actually having real power in this area. I believe that faith is misguided. Government action will only further prove its impotence in exerting control over those that will not be controlled. Governments only have control over the willing.[/quote]The legal system has control over those not willing to abandon their families by going to prison on weapons charges.

I don’t see a problem here. You can legally make all the guns you want, a POS with a 3D printer, or the real deal if you have the skills and access to mills and lathes.

You just can’t sell them or transfer them. Will people try? Yes, and as soon as they turn up in the wrong places the person will be in jail.[/quote]

You were taught your lesson well up there in Illinois, weren't you? You have no rights. Do what you are told. The state only has your best interests in mind and all the rules are for your benefit. You have been assimilated like the Borg. You really believe resistance is futile. I pray the state kills me before I ever become the mental slave you are. Blacks in Pre-War south at least knew they were slaves, I don't think you do. I can't even work up any contempt for you, just pity.

You were taught your lesson well up there in Illinois, weren't you? You have no rights. Do what you are told. The state only has your best interests in mind and all the rules are for your benefit. You have been assimilated like the Borg. You really believe resistance is futile. I pray the state kills me before I ever become the mental slave you are. Blacks in Pre-War south at least knew they were slaves, I don't think you do. I can't even work up any contempt for you, just pity.

Wow, it’s a discussion. No need to turn it into a personal attack on me.

Wow, it’s a discussion. No need to turn it into a personal attack on me.

Dave, I am not entirely sure that Chuck was attacking you personally, I think he's just frustrated with the seemingly endless tolerance for totalitarianism that many of his fellow Americans constantly exhibit.

So your "comply or go to jail" type comment just sort of pinched a nerve so to speak.

I'd try not to get to worked up over it, we all have different views, different comfort levels w/regards to how much despotism we are willing to tolerate, etc.

Dave, I am not entirely sure that Chuck was attacking you personally, I think he's just frustrated with the seemingly endless tolerance for totalitarianism that many of his fellow Americans constantly exhibit.

So your "comply or go to jail" type comment just sort of pinched a nerve so to speak.

I'd try not to get to worked up over it, we all have different views, different comfort levels w/regards to how much despotism we are willing to tolerate, etc.

I’m pretty sure it was a personal attack directed specifically at me; but I’m not worked up over it.

I’m not saying “comply or go to jail” I’m simply pointing out that you can legally make all the guns you want. Whether it is with a 3D printer or conventional machining.

The Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act says he can make all the guns or suppressors he wants and sell them to Tennessee residents. We need a volunteer to test that.

The Federal government is the one that’s says you can’t make firearms and start selling them without a manufacturing license. If he has a problem with that it has nothing to do with me, and I don’t think it justifies a tirade about where I am from or WAG’s about what I believe; do you?
Guest Lester Weevils

I’m pretty sure it was a personal attack directed specifically at me; but I’m not worked up over it.

I’m not saying “comply or go to jail” I’m simply pointing out that you can legally make all the guns you want. Whether it is with a 3D printer or conventional machining.

You may have been misunderstood. I was paying attention to the issue more from the question-- "Doesn't a fella have a right to publish FOR FREE an original work-- Description, drawing, or CAD file of a gun crappier than common single shot pistols from 100 years ago?" That is straight first amendment fare. Has nothing to do with manufacturing and sale of contraband. Ought not be any censorship or "go to jail if you don't pull down the file" kinda issue with this.

There is a lot of "dangerous information" if the information is mis-used by "dangerous people". It is a problem that meddlers will make more onerous as time goes on. Little things must be protected so they don't blossom into big tyranny later.

It is illegal to distill spirits in one's own house for one's own use. However, SO FAR I'm not aware that it is illegal to publish for free, very detailed plans on how to make a home still and how to make good whiskey. Perhaps it should be illegal to publish such information because it encourages or enables criminality? Any publisher of home still info might even deserve to be prosecuted as an accomplice to any dastardly anarchist who happens to run off a couple of quarts of whiskey in his own basement?

What about people who publish how-to home wiring info on the internet? It is illegal in many places for a homeowner to do his own wiring. He might burn down his house and accidentally kill his family, and burn up his neighbors to boot. Wouldn't it be in the public interest to forbid dissemination of electrical knowledge to unlicensed laymen? Put those criminals in jail and shut down the do-it-yourself websites before some fool homeowner electrocutes himself and immolates his kids!

Guest Lester Weevils

Thinking more about it, consider the criminality of Ace Hardware and Home Depot for selling electrical supplies to any ignorant unlicensed fool who happens to walk in with money in his pocket! I bet they would even sell those dangerous goods to kids without even administering a competency test. Not even asking for ID, by God! Endangering public safety in the greedy pursuit of an easy buck! That is probably more evil than those stores who irresponsibly sell iodine, muriatic acid, batteries or decongestant pills which potentially could be used to make illegal drugs. And garden stores who sell fertilizer that not only can be used to grow pot and poppies, but can also be used to make explosives. It just burns me up how irresponsible are these greedy corporations. There ought to be a law!

Wheelbarrows! Stay away from that wheelbarrow son, you don't know nothin about machinery. Consider all the back injuries caused by unlicensed wheelbarrow use. And people using wheelbarrows to abscond with stolen goods. Why in the world would we allow wikipedia to publish information about wheelbarrows, that any irresponsible fool or petty criminal might read? At least they ought to track the IP of any potential criminal who looks up wheelbarrows on wikipedia, don't ya think?