is 10 weeks excessive?

Dropped off my CZ on March 1 for repair.

After 3 weeks later I stop in for status...determined malfunction due to worn parts , parts ordered, may add some lead time

2 weeks ago, I stop in...already received the parts, installing and adjusting, will be 1 - 2 weeks

No problem says I, it's my EDC, it needs to be perfect.

Call yesterday, not done, no update and  'smith out until Wednesday.

I know the competent 'smiths are backed up, but I was told 6 week lead time.

And who would this smith be?

Would prefer not to say at this point. Assuming the work will be perfect based on the referral, I'll post "who" and "worth the wait."

Take the smith out of the equation - Think Glock! :)

Craig --- trust me I wish I could!!! I got my wife a G3 17 thinking it would be on loan (to me) For my hand, the CZ has better ergos...

I'm just kidding, although with an M&P or a Glock certifired gunsmith is not needed.  What is the problem with the CZ?  I'm curious as to why the CZ went to a smith.  Plinker4life right here on TGO has done some serious work to his CZ 75.  I absolutely adore that pistol after having handled it with the mods he did to it.  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/62821-my-cz-75b-conversion-to-sao-using-cgw-race-hammer-kit-and-czcustom-flat-trigger/

Would prefer not to say at this point. Assuming the work will be perfect based on the referral, I'll post "who" and "worth the wait."

I ask because I had a bad experience with the gunsmith at Guns & Leather. I was told 6-8 weeks and got the weapon back after waiting16 weeks IIRC. I got several excuses about family and such, but I was finally told that he was waiting the delivery of a specific machine to be delivered so that he could fit my barrel to the slide. WTH? Besides the fact that this guy has a reputation for being an excellent 1911 smith that one would think already had the equipment for a simple fitting, shouldn't he have told me that up front?

I ended up taking the 1911 to Chad Kandros for some other work, and Chad said the first guy did a bad job at fitting the barrel. :shrug:

stuff happens, if he was out without notice could be sick or something RL came up.   While the delay stinks, without knowing, it has not been long enough to freak out given the parts delay.  Keep trying to get some info on what is happening, maybe drive by the place if its handy.

Craig, in DA, the hammer would cock and when released would drop to half cock. Diagnosed worn parts and trigger bar...made an appearance on Friday, was advised 2-4 more weeks. Could have gone to a custom shop and had it back by now. The issue still remains no effort had been made on their part to communicate with me.

I ask because I had a bad experience with the gunsmith at Guns & Leather. I was told 6-8 weeks and got the weapon back after waiting16 weeks IIRC. I got several excuses about family and such, but I was finally told that he was waiting the delivery of a specific machine to be delivered so that he could fit my barrel to the slide. WTH? Besides the fact that this guy has a reputation for being an excellent 1911 smith that one would think already had the equipment for a simple fitting, shouldn't he have told me that up front?

I ended up taking the 1911 to Chad Kandros for some other work, and Chad said the first guy did a bad job at fitting the barrel. :shrug:

Was this the pistol I pulled? I remember pulling a 1911 for a TGO member because he was tired of waiting. Seems like this was around the time we were waiting for his equipment to come in too. I only wonder, because you'd be the first person in the years Jeff has worked with us that has accused him of doing shoddy work. I mean, that's just not Jeff.

Was this the pistol I pulled? I remember pulling a 1911 for a TGO member because he was tired of waiting. Seems like this was around the time we were waiting for his equipment to come in too. I only wonder, because you'd be the first person in the years Jeff has worked with us that has accused him of doing shoddy work. I mean, that's just not Jeff.

No, it wasn't pulled, and to be clear I didn't accuse him of shoddy work; Chad Kandros did. I haven't even shot the pistol since having the barrel fitted because I was also having it refinished by Chad.

After Chad refinished it it was having a problem with the hammer following the slide. I have replaced all of the innards of the pistol, but haven't tested it yet.

Gothegoods

I'm not a real bright guy, but repairing pistols has become one of those things I am reasonably adept at because of problems just like you mentioned. I'm not shipping or paying someone anymore for parts replacement.  I can't make or design parts but I figure if some dude or dudettte working on an assembly line can put the thing together so can I.  The CZ is a pretty simple gun to work on with the only issue is those roll pins you have to knock out without marring the frame.  Harbor Freight has roll pin punches that will work and are cheap. 

If I were you I would get my gun back and talk to Plinker4life.  You might as well go the whole Monty if you are going to repair it now rather than simply replace with stock parts.  You could have sent it back to Angus Hobdell or Matthew Mink at CZ but what fun is that?  

If you are close to Clarksville I could take a look at the CZ.  I've replaced triggers on 3 or 4, well before Cajun Gunworks came out with the Single Action conversion kits.  In fact just for the fun of it if you buy the parts for a SA conversion I would put them just for the fun of it. Another option and I am saying this with a grin on my face, "you could trade your "broke" gun for one of mine that work.  Only I don't have any CZ's." 

Edited by graycrait

Thankfully, I have never needed the services of a "professional" gunsmith.

That being said, 10 weeks is beyond ridiculous and anything more than a couple of weeks, frankly, is absurd.  I've read and heard the stories about factory repairs taking incredible amounts of time, which may be somewhat acceptable as they are in the business of mass producing firearms, not necessarily fixing them.  Even so, these time periods are unknown to most in this day and age.

There is no way in hell I would leave my property, much less a gun, in the hands of someone who needs to order parts and will get to it when they can.

No, it wasn't pulled, and to be clear I didn't accuse him of shoddy work; Chad Kandros did. I haven't even shot the pistol since having the barrel fitted because I was also having it refinished by Chad.

After Chad refinished it it was having a problem with the hammer following the slide. I have replaced all of the innards of the pistol, but haven't tested it yet.

Sounds like a classic broken sear. Typically happens when someone carelessly drops the slide of a 1911 on a empty chamber repeatedly. Of course, no competent gunsmith would do that!

There, now me and Chad are even. :pleased:

Classy joke? Yep! :)

You guys should know me well enough by now that I don't get worked up over stuff like this. Wait times happen, sometimes things fall through the cracks, unfortunately. I was genuinely curious if that was the same one I pulled, nothing ment as a slight to SWJewel and I hope he doesnt take it that way. What matters is how you deal with it after the fact with the customer - I just wish I had known about it when it happened. Obviously, if there is anything I can do on our end, please let me know!

Classy joke? Yep! :)

You guys should know me well enough by now that I don't get worked up over stuff like this. Wait times happen, sometimes things fall through the cracks, unfortunately. I was genuinely curious if that was the same one I pulled, nothing ment as a slight to SWJewel and I hope he doesnt take it that way. What matters is how you deal with it after the fact with the customer - I just wish I had known about it when it happened. Obviously, if there is anything I can do on our end, please let me know!

I didn't take offense.

The 1911A1 that I acquired from my FIL had a history of the hammer following the slide because the guy who first had it post its WWII service competed with it, and had an incredibly light trigger pull since his trigger finger was severed at the first knuckle. The sear was replaced yet still did it. I replaced the metal injected sear with an Ed Brown sear, but it continued having the problem. I had installed an Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety and thought maybe it night be the problem. The last item that I replaced was the hammer with an Ed Brown hammer. Now all the innards are Ed Brown, so I hope this cures the problem - I just haven't checked yet.

Gothegoods

I'm not a real bright guy, but repairing pistols has become one of those things I am reasonably adept at because of problems just like you mentioned. I'm not shipping or paying someone anymore for parts replacement.  I can't make or design parts but I figure if some dude or dudettte working on an assembly line can put the thing together so can I.  The CZ is a pretty simple gun to work on with the only issue is those roll pins you have to knock out without marring the frame.  Harbor Freight has roll pin punches that will work and are cheap. 

If I were you I would get my gun back and talk to Plinker4life.  You might as well go the whole Monty if you are going to repair it now rather than simply replace with stock parts.  You could have sent it back to Angus Hobdell or Matthew Mink at CZ but what fun is that?  

If you are close to Clarksville I could take a look at the CZ.  I've replaced triggers on 3 or 4, well before Cajun Gunworks came out with the Single Action conversion kits.  In fact just for the fun of it if you buy the parts for a SA conversion I would put them just for the fun of it. Another option and I am saying this with a grin on my face, "you could trade your "broke" gun for one of mine that work.  Only I don't have any CZ's." 

Craig - I wish I was close to Clarksville - I would be confident to put my gun in your hands!

You are 100% correct - could have gone to CZUSA, Matt, Angus or CGW and would have had back by now, just don't like shipping my stuff off. The other reason I stayed local is with the Omega trigger, there is not much you can do to improve it which I learned from David at CGW - he looked at developing some Omega custom parts and had no interest.

As an update, looking at another 3 weeks...believe it or not, I am ok with the time. My problem is I have made all the effort to contact them which tells me they either are unable, unwilling or unaware of what customer service is. Sometimes customer service is delivering the bad news and accepting responsibility and then swallowing the customer's ire.

I did let these folks know I expect to pay for part swapping, not custom work.