255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open, conceal carry, or both.

• Conceal
    • Open
    • Both

In the 80’s I made the mistake of volunteering to go to school for L.E.A.D.S (Law Enforcement Agencies Data Systems). It was my understanding we were charged by the state on the amount and type of info we ran. We were set-up so that when we ran a plate we would also get back DL info for the owner(s). I could even run a complete criminal background on someone; but I was told it cost more and I would have to explain why I did it, so I never did. If we needed that done the desk clerks did it.

On patrol we typically ask dispatchers to check DL status from a plate number. Unless it was a busy night we had an answer in seconds. We didn’t have computers in the car. Could it be that the in-car computers of today are limited to how much data they can access?

I’m not arguing with anyone; I’m just skeptical that an Officer couldn’t get back info that would indicate an HCP in seconds if they wanted to know that. Or that if they ran a plate and that owner was suspended/revoked/wanted it wouldn't show up.

I know the TBI takes criminal histories serious. We had to keep a log which officer ran it and why and that is one thing they for sure inspected when they came down.  MDT (Mobile Data Terminals) can be limited as to what inquires they can make I believe.  I dispatched in the throughout the 90's I didn't work at a place with it's own terminal till the mid 90's and had to go to Nashville for the training on it.  Now things could have changed since, but again when I was dispatching there was no direct way to get DL info from a License Plate.  

In all honesty I'm not sure how much of a help that is, many vehicles have more than one registered owner and nothing says the registered owner is the one driving.  My children often drive my vehicle.

Now If I'm not driving, yet riding as a passenger am I Obligated to show the officer who pulls my driver over, My HCP and DL, even if I'm not driving.

Wouldn't be drinking, cause if that was the case, My Firearm would be away from me.

If he ask you for your HCP then you must show that.  Otherwise unless he suspects you of some criminal activity you are not "required" to identify yourself at all.

Now If I'm not driving, yet riding as a passenger am I Obligated to show the officer who pulls my driver over, My HCP and DL, even if I'm not driving.

Wouldn't be drinking, cause if that was the case, My Firearm would be away from me.

As Fallguy stated if you are armed you have to show ID. Otherwise, no one can answer the question on whether or not you have to ID without knowing the circumstances. Are you obstructing an Officers investigation or resisting a stop, frisk, search or arrest?

As Fallguy stated if you are armed you have to show ID. Otherwise, no one can answer the question on whether or not you have to ID without knowing the circumstances. Are you obstructing an Officers investigation or resisting a stop, frisk, search or arrest?

Well....if you are armed and asked for ID (HCP) you must show it.   Just because you are armed doesn't mean you have to voluntarily announce you are armed and offer ID

Guest MiniGunGal

Unless, of course, SHE is OC'ing a bigger better weapon....  (You know, it really IS all about size!!!   :bowrofl:  )

Ok guys (and gals!) - Yeah, we all know that size does matter, but when it comes to retention holsters - I carry SOB, and I had ONE situation where a STUPID, and I emphasize STUPID guy came up behind me at a gun show and thought he'd be cute.  He grabbed my "rainbow titanium Sig" from my SOB (for those of you who know the shows, you know me) and tried to 'unholster' my weapon.  

OOPS!!!!  (Did I mention STOOPIE????) He quickly got an elbow in the adams apple and as he was sucking air like a land locked tuna looked at me and tried to spew out "I....was.... jusssttt teassssiiinnnn!"  I quickly informed him - "Not with MY weapon!"  I guess even those who are supposed to know forget sometimes!!!  Funny - he never bothered "teasin'" me again!!!   :wave:

I believe he learned his lesson!

• 2 months later...

Should show up when they run your DL number, as far as I know. Heck, your HCP number and DL number are the same. Tags though, no.

It does at least with your DL#, I was on a first date about two months ago and my date and I were in a public park (I did not have my gun with me) and the park closed at 11pm, and at about 11:10 we were making our way back to the car a few Franklin police officers were in the parking lot. They approached us and said that there are often drug users there after hours and asked for our licenses. We gave them our licenses and one officer went back to his car, came back and asked if I had my gun on me. I politely said 'no sir', he handed our licenses back to us and politely asked us to leave and to have a good night.

Edited by jaymc75
When I used to work patrol I could look up license plates through the TN department of safety website(accessed by LEO only). It would take me to a page that did have the drivers info to include DL and HCP. I rarely did this initially because of the time involved. If I just called a plate into dispatch I would not know by the plate if the RO had a HCP.

When I used to work patrol I could look up license plates through the TN department of safety website(accessed by LEO only). It would take me to a page that did have the drivers info to include DL and HCP. I rarely did this initially because of the time involved. If I just called a plate into dispatch I would not know by the plate if the RO had a HCP.

Yep and although the odds are good, you don't even know if the registered owner is the driver until you make contact with them.

Apparently, not all LEOs even bother to check.  I have been pulled over five times since getting a carry permit and have never mentioned or offered a permit and have never been asked if I have a gun.  Either they didn't check, or they were all immediately won over by my terrific personality  :rofl:

• Like 1

Apparently, not all LEOs even bother to check.  I have been pulled over five times since getting a carry permit and have never mentioned or offered a permit and have never been asked if I have a gun.  Either they didn't check, or they were all immediately won over by my terrific personality  :rofl:

Things may have changed, but when I dispatched we didn't regularly run the plates of every vehicle an officer stopped.  At least not for owner info, we may do a stolen check on it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys (and gals!) - Yeah, we all know that size does matter, but when it comes to retention holsters - I carry SOB, and I had ONE situation where a STUPID, and I emphasize STUPID guy came up behind me at a gun show and thought he'd be cute.  He grabbed my "rainbow titanium Sig" from my SOB (for those of you who know the shows, you know me) and tried to 'unholster' my weapon.  

OOPS!!!!  (Did I mention STOOPIE????) He quickly got an elbow in the adams apple and as he was sucking air like a land locked tuna looked at me and tried to spew out "I....was.... jusssttt teassssiiinnnn!"  I quickly informed him - "Not with MY weapon!"  I guess even those who are supposed to know forget sometimes!!!  Funny - he never bothered "teasin'" me again!!!   :wave:

I believe he learned his lesson!

What level of stupid does it take to do something like this?  A friend of mine's kid (23) tried that on me and I stuck him in an arm bar until he screamed like a little girl and told him that was a really good way to get hurt.  His dad called him a dumb@$$.  Thing that really bothers me aside from the fact that there is a hot gun in the hands of someone who obviously is not qualified to handle a gun is the risk of the gun going of while they are screwing around trying to get it out of the holster. 

Guest BallisticArms

I CC probably 90% of the time. I prefer CC because if a BG is intent on doing harm and he sees a gun that is going to be his 1st target. CC allows me to have the element of surprise on my side, which could mean saving my life or someone else's. If I do OC its on my property or at family and friends, but even then I would most likely be CC'ing.