The Crown Jewel of Mausers

If you guessed the Swedish Mauser, you are correct :) They are often regarded as some having the finest quality metals used in manufacturing.

I just bought one yesterday! A Carl Gustav Stads Gevarsfaktori model made in 1900 with all numbers matching.

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/_JoeBow_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0298_zpsb4b7bc11.jpg.html]IMG_0298_zpsb4b7bc11.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/_JoeBow_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0299_zps6857867f.jpg.html]IMG_0299_zps6857867f.jpg[/URL]

This rifle was originally an M1896 model that was cut down to the M1938B model (or Gevar M/96-38B). These can easily be identified by the straight bolt instead of the bent bolt. The B designates the threaded barrel. Why the threads in WW2??? It was for mounting a shredding device for the wooden training ammo! 

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/_JoeBow_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0301_zps4b3e7fe0.jpg.html]IMG_0301_zps4b3e7fe0.jpg[/URL]

This example also has the special Metallverken Vasteras type 2 rear sight insert, adjustable for 250-600 meters in 25 meter increments.

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/_JoeBow_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0297_zps67aa6b9f.jpg.html]IMG_0297_zps67aa6b9f.jpg[/URL]

The stock disk is stamped to indicate bore condition, throat erosion, and the wording indicated to the soldier whether "kentucky windage" was needed for the newer 6.5x55 cartridge being used at that time. Purpose built M38's were calibrated from the factory for this round.

[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/_JoeBow_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0300_zpsf73ed6a1.jpg.html]IMG_0300_zpsf73ed6a1.jpg[/URL]

The upmost desirable Swedish Mauser is one made by Waffenfabrik in 1895. Read more on this rifle's accuracy and origin according to the article in the summer/fall 2013 edition of Surplus Guns magazine on pages 152-155.

• Like 2

I love leaf sights.  There's nothing to think about, just line everything up and pull the trigger.  Apertures take too much work.

A leaf rear sight that matches up with the ammo it was designed for is a pleasure to shoot at known distances.  I enjoy apertures as well, but I find that it's easier to get a "perfect" sight picture with a leaf-style rear, though I admit it is much easier and quicker to get a "good enough" sight picture quickly with an aperture.  My k98, CZ452, and M39 (you may remember it) all have excellent leaf sights that are spot-on at various distances.

I was gonna say a 1901 Argentine, but yours is nice too! :cheers:

It would be neat to own at least one of every Mauser variant known. I can name most off the top of my head, but here are some of the internet items listed of gunbroker: German, Argentinian, Chilean, Brazilian, Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Polish, Yugo M48 or M24/47 rifles, the Czech Vz 24, the Japanese Arisaka is a close enough copy, as is a 1903 Springfield I would say. There is also the rare Mukden Mauser from Manchuria.  And I am sure that doesn't even cover them all. Somewhere, some obscure model is there.

We could talk about the most influential Mauser ever used. That would probably go to the 1893 Spanish Mauser, due to the fact that the Spanish-American war made the army realized they needed to get a clip fed bolt gun and ditch the trapdoors and 30-40 Krags. That Spanish Mauser may have done more to promote the development of the 1903 Springfield than anything else.

Edited by Ramjo

2 Swedes here, a Model 1894 (Gustav) and a Model 38 (Husqvarna 1942).  Love 'em.

Nice. I got to looking around at accessories, cause I like to buy bayonets for all my milsurps, and I found original thread protector caps as well as slip on front sight hoods that were used. Wonder why I have never seen a Swedish mauser for sale with any of these on the gun?

I meant to say 1909 Argentine.

I always meant to pick up one of those Carl Gustav Swedes back when they were plentiful and cheap. Even as a kid, I thought thaey were a "whole lot of craftsmanship" for the money. You snooze, you lose. I never got one, and now their prices are escalating rather briskly. Yours looks like a quite nice one.

I meant to say 1909 Argentine.

I always meant to pick up one of those Carl Gustav Swedes back when they were plentiful and cheap. Even as a kid, I thought thaey were a "whole lot of craftsmanship" for the money. You snooze, you lose. I never got one, and now their prices are escalating rather briskly. Yours looks like a quite nice one.

Thanks Greg.

It would be neat to own at least one of every Mauser variant known. I can name most off the top of my head, but here are some of the internet items listed of gunbroker: German, Argentinian, Chilean, Brazilian, Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Polish, Yugo M48 or M24/47 rifles, the Czech Vz 24, the Japanese Arisaka is a close enough copy, as is a 1903 Springfield I would say. There is also the rare Mukden Mauser from Manchuria.  And I am sure that doesn't even cover them all. Somewhere, some obscure model is there.

We could talk about the most influential Mauser ever used. That would probably go to the 1893 Spanish Mauser, due to the fact that the Spanish-American war made the army realized they needed to get a clip fed bolt gun and ditch the trapdoors and 30-40 Krags. That Spanish Mauser may have done more to promote the development of the 1903 Springfield than anything else.

Would be difficult.   The mauser family/company made guns from the late 1800s until almost 2000 (sold a time or 2 of course).  They contracted out millions of rifles for the armies of the world, all over the world, and made pistols and rifles in amazing quantities.   When you start talking 5-10 models per country per decade over much of europe and south america and more, ....  one of each is probably 50 - 100 rifles depending on how picky you get, and a like number of pistols...

...... did find a 1903 Rem, that's kind of a mix of a 1903 and 1903a3. Weird huh? 

Not weird at all, it could be 100% correct.

Late 1942 Remington 1903s will be found with 03A3 parts since those rifles were coming online at Remington as they closed down the 1903 run.

These are often referred to as the transitional Remington 1903s.  Mine in a Dec 42 production and all of the supporting hardware other than the upper band bayonet lug is 03A3.

244azir.jpg

Getting back on topic...

Agree with the OP.  My Swede is from 1915.  I'm amazed at the high level of detailed gunsmithing that these rifles have.

Not to mention that the 6.5 Swede is a great round!