Kitchen Pipes Suck

So I get home yesterday and start making my famous Rattlesnake Pasta.  It is basically linguine noodles, the meat from a whole roitiserrie chicken, alfredo sauce, parmesan cheese and chopped sun dried tomatoes all mixed up into a casserole.  It is really good but thats not the point.  So I open the cabinet under the sink to get something and everything is sitting in water.  So much for my relaxing evening of cooking and eating.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have about a million things under my sink.  So I start pulling things out one by one, drying the off and putting them in the kitchen floor.  The I see the bottom of the p-trap had rusted out.  Whoever attached the p-trap to the wall pipe cross threaded it and they would not come apart.  So I finally get the p-trap and wall pipe separated from the rest of the pipes and I am off to Home Depot.  Luckily they stay open till ten.  Get my parts and head back home.  Start reassembling and the p-trap and wall pipe are about half an inch apart. Of course they are.  So now I have to take the drain pipe off of the sink and garbage disposal pipe and cut it down.  Grab the sawsall and cut 1/2 inch off the pipe.  Reassemble all the pipes and Eureka!, the p-trap now connects to the wall pipe.  Tighten everything up and turn on the water to check for leaks.  I am just starting to wonder why there is a large rubber washer laying there when the water starts dripping. :doh:   SOB!  Disconnect the p-trap from the wall pipe, put the big rubber washer on and reassemble once more.  Hooray! No leaks.  

Of course everybody else went ahead and ate while I worked.  So I now have a choice of cold pasta or a nice tumbler of bourbon.  I choose the latter.  Hope everybody else had a less frustrating night.

rant off/ 

Been there, done that my man...

Try repairing a leaking sink drain basket all by yourself and the basket not rotating as you tighten the basket nut from underneath!

BTW... If you only have a million items under your sink, you must not be married. Trying to find the Windex or can of Comet under the sink is a whole day's project. Between the wife's purse she carries and under the sink would be a good place to look for the missing Jimmy Hoffa.

I shouldn't tell on myself but, ten years ago or so the right side of the double sink, garbage disposal side was stinking. The garbage disposal was about ten years old and seldom used (everyone knows you never put any food intentionally into the plumbing system even with a garbage disposal right?)

Anyway, I had heard somewhere to internally clean a garbage disposal, dump a tray of ice cubes in it and hit the switch. BIG, BIG MISTAKE. They don't make steel shells like they use to :stunned:

Edited by Dennis1209

Recently fixed my wife's grandmas sink.  Looking at it, everything seemed to be in place. I turned the water on and it was like there were no pipes at all!  Somehow the part that attaches the sink to the pipes had been removed and the pipe was  just "sitting" beneath it.  It really was a simple fix, but I cannot figure out how it got disconnected; it seems like someone would have to had unscrewed it to get to that point.

I am just starting to wonder why there is a large rubber washer laying there when the water starts dripping. :doh:   SOB!  Disconnect the p-trap from the wall pipe, put the big rubber washer on and reassemble once more.

I did this with a toliet and had the tank filled almost to the top before I realized what I had done!

• Admin Team

Just a word to the wise... it's worth having a conversation with your spouse about things that are appropriate to put in the disposal, and things aren't appropriate.

Potato peels from the better part of a whole bag of potatoes - not appropriate.

• Like 2

Also, boys and girls, ALL of your supply lines in your home from the cutoffs to the faucets should be the braided lines, NOT the plastic ones. You do not want to receive a call that there is water all over your kitchen floor when you're on another continent....yes...that happened to me.

• Like 1

Been there, done that my man...

Try repairing a leaking sink drain basket all by yourself and the basket not rotating as you tighten the basket nut from underneath!

BTW... If you only have a million items under your sink, you must not be married. Trying to find the Windex or can of Comet under the sink is a whole day's project. Between the wife's purse she carries and under the sink would be a good place to look for the missing Jimmy Hoffa.

I shouldn't tell on myself but, ten years ago or so the right side of the double sink, garbage disposal side was stinking. The garbage disposal was about ten years old and seldom used (everyone knows you never put any food intentionally into the plumbing system even with a garbage disposal right?)

Anyway, I had heard somewhere to internally clean a garbage disposal, dump a tray of ice cubes in it and hit the switch. BIG, BIG MISTAKE. They don't make steel shells like they use to :stunned:

Amen.

That gigantic nut that holds the drain pipe to the bottom of the sink.... :rant:   Whoever the yahoo is that decided that was the best way to do it needs his peepee smacked. 

Cleaning it...  a few small (SMALL!!) pieces of cooked chicken bone with some very hot (boiling) water. 

Just a word to the wise... it's worth having a conversation with your spouse about things that are appropriate to put in the disposal, and things aren't appropriate.

Potato peels from the better part of a whole bag of potatoes - not appropriate.

Neither are the peels from a 1/2 bushel of cucumbers or apples.

We replaced the iron pipe in the house last summer. In preparation I went into the basement bathroom to remove the drywall in the ceiling to access it. I barely touched the line with a piece of drywall, it went through it and all the water in the line hit me right in the face. I despise plumbing.

On another note I always thought a neat waterproof tub type deal under sinks would be a good invention.
  • Like 1
Guest RedLights&Sirens

Hope everybody else had a less frustrating night.

If its any consolation, no. Heavy smoke from my ambulance (engine and interior) but no fire. Figured our shift would end early because by the time we checked off a back up unit we would have 30 minutes left. Nope. They toss us in a unit for a lift assist and we clocked out an hour late.

i currently live with my grandparents in a house built in the 50's, the plumbing here sucks bad, all the pipes under the sinks and in the walls imo need to be replaced, the pipes under the kitchen sink has leaked so much the cabinet is falling apart under the sink cause the wood is rotted from the water

Im with you Kahrman.  Kitchen plumbing is a nitemare; especially when there is a disposal sittin in the way.

I would rather work on a stopped up commode than fool with kitchen plumbing!!

leroy